Laguna Seca with California Superbike School review

i-Zapp

(Long read, wrote this on my return flight)

I first learned about California Superbike School after seeing their booth at MidOhio back years ago when the AMA races were something to behold. At the time it seemed very intriguing but a complete pipe dream. A few years later for my 40th bday I did run my very first track day at MidOhio, but under the guidance of their own instructors.

Fast forward 10 years and about 60 plus trackdays and I finally committed to CSS, mostly because I really wanted to ride Laguna Seca and CSS's program was the "easiest" way to do it. If you consider the $3000 cost plus travel expenses, the word "easy" doesn't come to mind for most normal people, but I said screw it, life's too short - turning 50 this month, kids both out of the house, work bonus, and wife got fancy new job. Yah, it's time, now or never.

So here goes, starting with some interesting stats from day 1-

* Number of students in my group: 12

* Number of students that have Never been on a racetrack: about half

* Number of students that have Never heard of Laguna's famous corkscrew turn: 3

* Number of students that dropped the practice bike during the parking lot pre-test: 1

* Number of students that that stalled the practice bike: at least one

It started to paint a pretty dank picture of the days ahead, and pretty quickly I found myself in the exact situation I suspected (and feared) would occur- I was back in novice class and instead of enjoying Laguna at speed trying to burn fast laps I was stuck with very well-to-do motorcycling enthusiasts who like me wanted instruction on becoming a more proficient rider, albeit at a much different level. See, EVERYONE is required to start at Level 1 regardless of experience.

Yep, I was one of those guys that thought Level 1 school was beneath them and was becoming more and more frustrated by the rudimentary training drills, especially with notice that day 2 may be cancelled due to rain and we've yet been allowed out of "4th gear only, no brakes" novice mode.

Some more stats to chew on-

* Number of times during CSS history that everyone has completed session 1 without blowing the corkscrew and Rossi'ing it through the rough: 0

* Which lap I did it on: 1

* Number of red flags both days: 0

* Number of black flags I got for close passes: 1

Clearly, an attitude adjustment was in order. At the conclusion of day1 we were asked to complete a satisfaction survey, and I took the opportunity to voice my frustration, not expecting any real result or repercussion. As I was about to hop back in my rental car, Dylan Code (Keith's son and lead instructor) stops me for a very candid discussion. It was the turning point for my experience - as everyone bothering to read this can appreciate, we all have issues with our technique and Dylan in his courteous and articulate way basically said "you ain't all that" and unless my attitude changes I will be wasting money and opportunity to do exactly what I need to do - fix the fundamentals. He was right about my attitude, and after critiquing my 'camera bike' video, my technique too.

I slept on it and started day 2 with a concertedly open minded outlook. Even before class started Dylan took me aside to show me other example videos of good and bad technique. And mid day I noticed Dylan suiting up to ride (unusual). The morning rain had passed and the track was as good as it gets. At the end of my riding session he grabs me, now back in his plain clothes, and says "I took video of you riding.. Let's review it". Wow. That's customer service.

And that pretty much exemplifies the whole CSS experience. Not just the main guy, but the entire staff was exceedingly approachable and eager to help. It's as though they were the new guys trying to make a name for themselves instead of the preeminent organization they've been for years.

So, is it worth it, did I get faster, would I recommend it? If you can find a way to afford it, there's no better trackday org out there. Could I have affected the same improvement by doing a dozen local trackdays instead? Probably not. With coaching? Maybe. It hasn't happened in the last decade why would it magically change in the next. I can tell you this, improving your skills and knowing they're squared away translates to confidence, and that's ultimately where the speed comes from. CSS squeezed that into two days.

Final stats-

* My best lap time: about a 1:49 (with chicane between 5 and 6)

* My best lap: the very last one

* My favorite lap: chasing the skinny black mark leaving the rear tire of my track coach for an entire lap (AMA pro Travis Wyman).

* Likelihood of doing level 3 & 4 with CSS: 99% (nothing's for sure in life!)

• Upvote 2

Sounds like a great experience. How awesome is the corkscrew turn and the elevation drop?

I would like to try the rider school at Barber's in Alabama. I am in my mid 40s and have never been on a track on a motorcycle. I did a few charity donation laps in my street car at Barber's and also VIR.

Like most training classes, it seems you get out of it what you put in it.

I loved my 2 days at csb. I did approach it differently though. Knowing that it would be a mix of levels I backed off and focused on the drills. Apparently I backed off to much as my coach yelled at me for going to slow and that he needed to see me at a min of 70% not the 50% that I was at. We picked up the pace and continued on the drills. 

One thing I can't emphasis enough is that you must walk in with an open mind and the willingness to learn. Just remember, even when Nicky did the school years ago, he started at level one. This doesn't mean you have to do 35 mph but they want you at 75-80% of your max so that you can practice at speed. As for getting that type of learning at a trackday and advancing like that, not a chance. You will but I guarantee you will waste way more money.

I have actual tried to incorporate what I have learned into my coaching. It works ok, most don't really want to listen, those who have are now quicker than the ones who haven't.

If you ever have the cash please go to one. I did mine at VIR on my own bike to save done cash, so there is that option as well. That being said my next one will be at either willow springs or Laguna.

Izapp, try to remember the drills and work on them next time out at a local track, I think you will be stunned with the results. If you don't mind me asking, who did you have for a coach?

Sounds like a great experience. How awesome is the corkscrew turn and the elevation drop?

you think you're ready for it, but the drop and change in direction is way more dramatic than you imagine. i had run Laguna countless times on Playstation and thought i had it pretty well figured out, but even at 50% pace it takes you by surprise and you find yourself going "whoaah!". pretty cool.

Good, honest review.  Thanks for sharing.

For perspective purposes - if you did a 1:49 at Mazda Raceway, what are you normally turning at MidOhio?

that 1:49 is an estimate - the lap timer was not working on day 2 due to the rain (they think) and my best time from day1 was a 1:56 with the beemer in rain mode, light brakes, still figuring out the track, and only two gears. they also put a chicane between turns 5 and 6 to keep the sound down (90 dB limit!), but i suspect it's to keep guys from running off at 6.

my best time at MidO is about a 1:44

my goal is sub 1:40 this year.

I loved my 2 days at csb. I did approach it differently though. Knowing that it would be a mix of levels I backed off and focused on the drills. Apparently I backed off to much as my coach yelled at me for going to slow and that he needed to see me at a min of 70% not the 50% that I was at. We picked up the pace and continued on the drills. 

One thing I can't emphasis enough is that you must walk in with an open mind and the willingness to learn. Just remember, even when Nicky did the school years ago, he started at level one. This doesn't mean you have to do 35 mph but they want you at 75-80% of your max so that you can practice at speed. As for getting that type of learning at a trackday and advancing like that, not a chance. You will but I guarantee you will waste way more money.

I have actual tried to incorporate what I have learned into my coaching. It works ok, most don't really want to listen, those who have are now quicker than the ones who haven't.

If you ever have the cash please go to one. I did mine at VIR on my own bike to save done cash, so there is that option as well. That being said my next one will be at either willow springs or Laguna.

Izapp, try to remember the drills and work on them next time out at a local track, I think you will be stunned with the results. If you don't mind me asking, who did you have for a coach?

i think running at 75% on a rented $20k bike is pretty daunting for most people. for me the bad habits become more evident at a faster clip and my comfort level with the bike (it's sooooo nice) translated to a pretty brisk pace.  for level 3-4 i want to do VIR on my own bike.

that ama racer, Travis Wyman, was my main track coach both days. young kid, easy to communicate with.

I want to do this so bad.

I think you may have been there with this guy:

http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/31vri8/my_experience_at_california_superbike_school/

interesting, he did his the previous mon-tue.

Appreciate the writeup.  Can't believe 1/4 of your group didn't know what the corkscrew was after paying $3k to ride the track....that's crazy.  Really wish I could do something like this (or any other schools), but it would blow the track budget for the year in a single weekend....maybe one day.

• 1 month later...

@i-Zapp - I registered here just to reply to this post. lol

I just came back from VIR as a student and to complete the CSS coach requirements. From what I saw and your comments, on your first day... you held back too much. When they say to ride at 75% they REALLY mean it. So you're not a novice, fine... don't ride like one. Ride fast enough to where the drills make sense and are challenging. It will also help your coach help you get the most from their drills & coaching. Level 1 doesn't mean "ride slow", it means to "play nice" with traffic you are passing and ride at a pace you can work the drill with focused purpose. I rode nearly A pace for my level 1.

For example; the very first drill is "throttle control" with no brakes. To fine tune your throttle control skill with no brakes and still ride a pace that allows you to drag a knee is quite challenging. But... it's nearly impossible at too slow of pace without some crazy bp. Same deal with the 2nd drill of "turn point".

I hope you enjoyed Laguna and will see you soon at Mid-O.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I rode nearly A pace for my level 1.

For example; the very first drill is "throttle control" with no brakes. To fine tune your throttle control skill with no brakes and still ride a pace that allows you to drag a knee is quite challenging. 

your A pace must be different than mine. i need to use brakes for mine. especially on a rented 190 hp bike.  :crazy:

I'm surprised with your riding experience that you can't ride without brakes at a decently fast pace. You can scrub a lot of speed with just down shifting aggressively. And starting to slow down earlier on things like a small straight away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

downshifting not allowed either. 4th gear only. on day one.

on day two we were allowed 3rd gear also.

to me, an A pace involves getting your corner entry speed just right, and without that the whole turn is slower if you're approaching the turn cautiously (sans brakes). I think that CSS invokes the no-brakes, one gear only rule to keep speeds down and force riders to focus on the specific drills. that's cool and I understand it, it's just not what I consider A pace.

I don't know if I'm in love with that philosophy - not because I think it's wrong, but because if i'm going to ride Laguna Seca, i'm doing it 90% for fun, and 10% to improve my riding. 

There are a TON of things that I could improve upon, but sometimes I just want to go out and turn some laps.  It's promoted as a school, so I see their side of things, but I'm not sure I would have been inclined to listen either.

I know I fall back into old habits when I start to push the pace, and it's hard to not fall into that trap.

I want to do this so bad.

I think you may have been there with this guy:

http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/31vri8/my_experience_at_california_superbike_school/

this guy thinks scraping peg on an entrance ramp means he progressed at the school?  Poor body position, or way too much confidence. 

but because if i'm going to ride Laguna Seca, i'm doing it 90% for fun, and 10% to improve my riding. 

If this is the only reason anyone is going then you will never enjoy riding with the school. They are there to teach you not have you doing whatever you want and then bitch because you didn't learn anything. If I'm spending that kind of money (and I have) I'm going to soak up as much as I can. I was able to ride whatever pace I felt comfortable doing while still learning. They actually bitched at me for going to slow and that they couldn't judge if I was able to retain the drills at pace. As for A pace, yes I would say it was, you just have to roll off the gas early as you can't use brakes. I know at VIR I ran damn good times for not leaving 3rd on my ZX6R and would love to go do a trackday there just to see what I could actually do.

I wouldn't bitch about anything if I was having a good time.

I'm all for improving skills, but I'd prefer to do that on a track I already know. The new layout is enough to learn for one or two days.