Helmet Recomendations

Tonyblaze

With the understanding that a helmet is highly personal and subjective does anyone have any recommendations for a good quality helmet? My large nugget means that comfort is the #1 priority, with quietness 2nd and weight 3rd. I will probably maintain my preference to flat black with a mirrored shield. An internal sun visor would be a bonus. Currently have a cheap Scorpion that has served me well as a 1st helmet but its time I moved up to the big boy leagues. I'm riding a naked Triumph,  

I love my bell star carbon. It's very comfy, incredibly light and reasonably quiet. The nice thing about bell helmets is they make a transitions visor for them that darkens automatically in the sun. I also have a bell vortex which is 1 step below the star and is also a great helmet, especially for around $200 depending on paint. I'd suggest you go to a shop and try on a bunch to get an idea of what you want.

You need to get on your bike, or in your car and go to Iron Pony and try them all on. When you get one that initially feels comfortable keep it on for 20 minutes or so and make sure there are no tight spots that get uncomfortable as time goes on.  Some helmets are round and some are more egg shaped and peoples heads are the same, you need to wear it for awhile and watch the pressure points. Limit your choices to the well known quality manufacturers, they have safety and comfort nailed. If that Scorpion fit you well you are probably a round headed guy, let the folks at IP know that.

And after all that, I think you should suck it up and pay IP their price and get it from them rather than save a couple of bucks online since you used them for trying it on.....it's just the fair way to do it.

Look at Nolan, Shoei, Arai, Schuberth at the high end.  HJC and Scorpion on the mid-range end.

• Upvote 3

+1 for getting to The Pony they literally have hundreds if not thousands of brands, sizes, colors, and style to try on. When I picked up my last one (Nolan N 90 ) I bet I spent 4 hours there and had 90 different ones on my head before I decided. But I cheated I then ordered it online but it wasn't a few bucks it was about $100 cheaper. I later found out that Pony will price match most online advertised prices. So take your phone and price match then ask. Even if it's a bit of a trip for you to get there trust us, you won't regret it.

Edited by 2talltim

Best to try them on at a store... I love my shoei rf1200.. World's above my bell rs1...and I've got a transitions shield on order for it... Highly recommend trying one on

Shoei qwest or the gt air (forget which) one of them has the internal visor.. Equally comfortable, but not snell rated due to internal visor

Edited by Steve Butters

My HJC CL-16 has served me well for a first helmet.  I'm now interested in

one with a little more airflow and a little less wind noise.  The two don't

usually go hand-in-hand. 

The Shoei RF-1200 is on my wish list.  It is SNELL rated, which is worlds

higher of a rating that any DOT helmet, which I don't really trust, anyway.

It's around $500 at Iron Pony.  My

HJC ran around $160 and is SNELL rated as well.

I just saw this:  http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/107010-hjc-spring-helmet-blowout/#entry1432451

Edited by JackFlash

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Advice worth taking from others as far as going some place to find what fits. What works for me may be awful for you. HJC seems to fit my melon the best. As far as quiet goes,I just wear ear plugs. Foam type. Walmart has them in the pharmacy section. Here are a couple sites with a boat load of info. Nice to see you back Tony.

I like the shoe gt air and the Schuburth something something. But you'll pay for it. None of the others seem to have the same qualities and features.

Edited by Gump

+1 on the Shoei GT Air. Just bought one at the Pony. I tried on a lot of helmets and I kept going back to the GT Air. It's very comfortable and has an integrated sun visor which is a plus for me. My last helmet was a HJC and had a tinted visor which was great during the day but sucked at dusk. I really liked my HJC, but wanted something a little more comfortable for someone who wears glasses. The Shoei has recesses for my glasses so they are not pressed against my ears which can be distracting during a long ride. You can tell its a quality helmet by all the refinement, but it's costs way more than other helmets.

I actually just picked up a new helmet yesterday online after trying on a number of different brands/styles at iron pony. My top 3 came down to:

Bell Star

Bell RS-1

Scorpion Exo 1200

The scorpion was really cushy but it felt like it would be hot for summer riding. I ended up getting a Bell Star (year old close-out) for about 65% off online. Granted the helmet will need to be replaced in 4 years instead of 5, it's still not a terrible deal.

Definitely try on what you can and see what fits. The star won out for me because it felt spacious and comfortable, had a feeling of quality, has transition visor option and is really light.

If I were on the market for a new lid, the Shoei GT Air would probably be at the top of my list. I have a more oval head though, and it fits me better in that aspect.

The RF-1100 I wear now is comfy and light. But the wind noise is quite loud in comparison to a couple other helmets I've ridden with.

What size skull are you and what size helmet did you get. No dealers near me.

The circumference of my head measured at the forehead just above the ears is a little over 23" which puts me in a Shoei Large helmet.  I still highly recommend trying them on to see if it fits properly as all helmets fit differently as everyone's skull is not the same.  Its tight on me, but still new and havent broken it in yet.  XL was too loose. My concerns were wearing my glasses and whether the internal visor would clear them and not touch my nose.  The GT Air worked perfectly for me as there are recesses for my glasses and the internal visor clears them and my nose.  A few others I tried on would not.  Another factor is how much hair you have.  I wear my hear very short so its not a factor for me.  Just some things to consider before purchasing, hope this helps!

Thanks for all of the advice. Planning an expedition to the Iron Pony now. I'll use it as my prep for the Epic Spring Ride. Gotta get this done. Been blessed to ride three years without hitting the pavement but when I do I want to get back up.

The circumference of my head measured at the forehead just above the ears is a little over 23" which puts me in a Shoei Large helmet. I still highly recommend trying them on to see if it fits properly as all helmets fit differently as everyone's skull is not the same. Its tight on me, but still new and havent broken it in yet. XL was too loose. My concerns were wearing my glasses and whether the internal visor would clear them and not touch my nose. The GT Air worked perfectly for me as there are recesses for my glasses and the internal visor clears them and my nose. A few others I tried on would not. Another factor is how much hair you have. I wear my hear very short so its not a factor for me. Just some things to consider before purchasing, hope this helps!

My shoei was so tight that I was questioning if it would even work out... My rf1100 fit great, so I knew the rf1200 would too at some point... Few days of riding and it feels like it was made specifically for my head.. They break in a lot

And yes - some people just can't wear certain helmets... My gf tried on small shoei and it was loose as shit... Tried on xs and it gave her a headache for an hour because it was so tight in the forehead... So she's wearing a scorpion currently

Edited by Steve Butters

My shoei was so tight that I was questioning if it would even work out... My rf1100 fit great, so I knew the rf1200 would too at some point... Few days of riding and it feels like it was made specifically for my head.. They break in a lot

And yes - some people just can't wear certain helmets... My gf tried on small shoei and it was loose as shit... Tried on xs and it gave her a headache for an hour because it was so tight in the forehead... So she's wearing a scorpion currently

My old scorpion I had to get XL cheek pads for the large size helmet. I felt like a hoarding chipmunk. They never broke in much of any.

Bell RS-1

Readily available on clearances, also.    I bought the Bell Star Carbon after having an RS1 for a short while, thinking that the RS-1 was good, the Star must be better.   For the money, the RS-1 is a much better deal (but I DO love my Star).  Fit is true to size.    I've had Arai's, Shoeis, Sharks and never considered Bells before.  I will in the future.  First. 

Bell RS-1

Readily available on clearances, also. I bought the Bell Star Carbon after having an RS1 for a short while, thinking that the RS-1 was good, the Star must be better. For the money, the RS-1 is a much better deal (but I DO love my Star). Fit is true to size. I've had Arai's, Shoeis, Sharks and never considered Bells before. I will in the future. First.

Never tried the rs-1 but my star carbon is a huge step up from the vortex which is very similar to both the star and rs-1. I noticed that the padding was completely different between the two tho, and the quality of the star is noticeably higher.

My only bitch with the bell lids is the magnet in the strap end. It works great but it's held in by glue and eventually fails. The could have spent a few more cents and sewn it in.

Love the Bell Star series, best helmets I've ever put my skull in.

The newer Star lids share interior padding designs with the RS1, believe this started in 2013 or maybe 2014. Means they fit very much the same. Both are excellent choices, imo. The RS1 is virtually a street version of the Star from what I've heard, with the Star being more trackday/race oriented with more air flow ( making it a bit louder, yet cooler in summer ). Check with Riders Discount and see if there are some leftovers to be had on the cheap, but they offer us OR members a nice discount either way.

My only bitch with the bell lids is the magnet in the strap end. It works great but it's held in by glue and eventually fails. The could have spent a few more cents and sewn it in.

Exactly. And a strap magnet finally came loose on one of my Stars, so I did that very thing and sewed in back on. Went ahead and did the same on the other. But that's been the ONLY issue I've ever had with 'em

+1 for RF1200 that's my current lid.

My last lid's were Bell's, which served me well too.

I got a good deal from Jordan at Kenndy Cycles in Elyria. I know he just had a baby but he may still put in some hours there. He is part of the owner's fam and all. Real nice guy. I want to say I paid less than $400 for my RF1200.

I don't think I'll ever buy another helmet that a) isn't modular b) doesn't have an integrated retractable sun visor.

Seriously, it just makes wearing a helmet so much nicer. My Shoei Neotec is a damn fine lid but for the price, it should be.

The most important aspect of helmet buying is the fit. That impacts your comfort and even safety. All the other things after that are subjective but for me air flow comes next followed by weight (part of comfort) and then noise.