IT Entry Level Helpdesk

Cdubyah

Here is the posting

http://tinyurl.com/przceou

This is for an entry level position on IT helpdesk for the Ohio State Highway Patrol. This is currently posted as 1st shift 7a-3p. Pay starts @ $21.77 then $23.85 after 6 months probation. The pay is non-negotiable.

Things you must be able to have / pass 

Must have some sot of IT cert, or associates level degree (CCNA, A+, Net +, MCP etc). They pretty much screen out if you don't have one. - They want motivated people to move up, not sit stagnent for 30 years.

Must be able to pass a background check. (They went all the way back to elementary school for mine)

Must be able to pass a polygraph test. (This is where most applicants fail - Just tell the truth!)

Here's the breakdown of the actual job

It's a 24/7 call center. So expect to work weekends, holidays, and random times to cover other shifts. There are only three people that work on a shift. So every 3rd weekend you work by yourself. Two people are required on 1st shift, so you don't get a whole lot of time off. Supervisor does his best with what hes got. But don't expect a whole lot. Just being honest.

It's a technical job that's not super technical. 80% law 20% tech. Most of the calls are password or application related. Every now an again you'll get a call about what NCIC offense code to use in a certain event. After a while you should be able to rattle that off the top of your head. There is a lot of law knowledge you are required to learn and certify in every 2 years.

They deal with ATT exclusivley for point to point network connectivity. So know how to look at a router/switch/firewall. Basic level 2 viewing ability. They support all Criminal Justice agencies throughout the state that use LEADS.

As I said earlier, they want people that will move up. So even if it doesn't sound awesome for you, the next opportunity might. Most everyone that works in a higher level started on the helpdesk.

If you have any questions let me know, I will answer them honestly.

So as I forgot to mention there is a hiring pecking order

1. Lateral transfers

2. Promotions

3. Demotions

4. Interns

5. Outside applicants

The job is posted for current employees only. That should not discourage you from applying.

• 1 month later...

For anyone that applied to this position, here is an update.

Steps 1, and 2 are complete. There were no lateral applicants, and only 1 promotional applicant. They turned down the position.

There are usually no demotional applicants.

There are probably interns that have applied.