In the market for a suit.

Heagachongoose

Hey guys. Going to be getting into OMRL this summer and once I pick up another bike I will be doing track days too. Soon hopefully. But anyways, I am looking for a suit. Wanting to make a buy by mid April. I have been watching the wera classifieds and a few other places waiting for a good one to pop up and looking at new suits in the meantime. Realistically, being as new as I am to the track and taking into account that the suit will mostly be used for road riding and OMRL stuff,  I am not in the market for a top tier piece, I'm looking for a a sub $650 piece. Something quality enough where I can keep the thing for awhile if I need to and that most importantly, fits me good. 2 piece, 1 piece, whatever. I know a one piece is the go to for all things safety, but he conveniencey of a 2 piece is appealing to me. I'm not really a small guy. Not really large either though. About 6'1 175, 31in waist and a 34in inseam. From what I have been seeing, unless I order a custom suit I am going to have to compromise considerably on sizing. Which makes me sad. Are there any brands that size slimmer than others? 

I have been looking at a few things. Stuff from Hazardous racing, Spartan Leathers, Comet Racing, and closeout suits from the big retailers. Anywhere else I should be looking? Thanks in advance for any replies. 

Edited by Heagachongoose

don't assume you can't get top-tier stuff for $650.  I paid $650 for a used, but un-crashed RS Taichi EVO that retails for $1,500 and is on sale for $1100 most places.  I know it doesn't have airbags or any of that stuff, but I consider it top-tier quality.

. About 6'1 175, 31in waist and a 34in inseam. From what I have been seeing, unless I order a custom suit I am going to have to compromise considerably on sizing. Which makes me sad. Are there any brands that size slimmer than others? 

I have been looking at a few things. Stuff from Hazardous racing, Spartan Leathers, Comet Racing, and closeout suits from the big retailers. Anywhere else I should be looking? Thanks in advance for any replies. 

I feel your pain... I am 6'1 and 145lbs... I had to go custom for a 1pc suit.   But the extra 30 lbs may help you into a "rack" suit.

BUT I did have some luck with 2 pc leathers before my suit... I picked up some AGV pants and regardless of what the size chart said they fit me!  They were short in the leg area but my boots covered that up.  This was 6-7 years ago and looks like the model name has changed to the AGV Sport Willow.    When you are tall and lanky you just need to try on a bunch of pants / suits.

Look forward to seeing you on the OMRL grid this season!!!  :)

Hey guys. Going to be getting into OMRL this summer and once I pick up another bike I will be doing track days too. Soon hopefully. But anyways, I am looking for a suit. Wanting to make a buy by mid April. I have been watching the wera classifieds and a few other places waiting for a good one to pop up and looking at new suits in the meantime. Realistically, being as new as I am to the track and taking into account that the suit will mostly be used for road riding and OMRL stuff,  I am not in the market for a top tier piece, I'm looking for a a sub $650 piece. Something quality enough where I can keep the thing for awhile if I need to and that most importantly, fits me good. 2 piece, 1 piece, whatever. I know a one piece is the go to for all things safety, but he conveniencey of a 2 piece is appealing to me. I'm not really a small guy. Not really large either though. About 6'1 175, 31in waist and a 34in inseam. From what I have been seeing, unless I order a custom suit I am going to have to compromise considerably on sizing. Which makes me sad. Are there any brands that size slimmer than others? 

You should be calling me! Take a look at RST leathers too, a lot of suit for a great price! 

I'm a similar build, 6'2"/172lbs 32w34L and I wear a US44/EUR54 off rack suit in most brands.

The cortech suit is a really affordable, good looking 1 piece.

Check out spartan leathers. They're reasonably local to Cincinnati, have off rack suit sizes available starting in the 400ish range and can build custom suits within your budget.

Other than that, you can hunt bargain bins throughout the interwebs and find top tier suits for pennies. I found my puma suit for around $800, and its a $1700 suit. Just be a little open minded to color. My puma suit is Cream and silver... Not white... Cream... But it fits great and has badass features like titanium/carbon knee, shoulder, and elbow protection.