NFA Trust

madcat6183

I browsed the past threads about this, just wanting to gain some knowledge as I start more builds and more fun stuff.  Not looking to try to get anyone "on paper" but if anyone has any basic knowledge they would like to share I would appreciate it.

A lot of my questioning is just surrounding places like Coyoterifleworks, who does a 95.00 24hr turn time NFA trust with no prints, no pics, nada, just do it online, review/edit, and done.

Anyone use THEM specifically or Silencerco, etc?  I don't have much right now to really even put in it, but plan to soon, and would like to start towards some SBR's and cans within the next few months.

The research I can do at work is pretty basic, so I figure if anyone can post stuff on here, I can read it easier.

Thanks!

I've not verified this but I was told by someone at a local well know gun range that there might not be a need for a trust in order to get things such as suppressors anymore in the state.  I personally don't believe it and again I've not researched it so...

But I can tell you that doing an NFA trust (Revocable Living Trust) from what I've read is pretty damn simple and you can use any number of online places to create it or purchase software to created it.  I personally found some software to create one, I have it all done and just need to get the final part done (i.e. notary).

I've not verified this but I was told by someone at a local well know gun range that there might not be a need for a trust in order to get things such as suppressors anymore in the state.  I personally don't believe it and again I've not researched it so...

But I can tell you that doing an NFA trust (Revocable Living Trust) from what I've read is pretty damn simple and you can use any number of online places to create it or purchase software to created it.  I personally found some software to create one, I have it all done and just need to get the final part done (i.e. notary).

Yeah I know it's easy, and templates etc online, but for 75-100 Im fine with paying someone to make sure it's done and not having to leave my house to do any of it.  I have plenty of access to notary's so that part is easy, but the rest Im kinda like ho hm on.

Did you "purchase" the software or just "borrow" it?  Dont have to answer if you don't want, just curious.  I know JBot said he'd send me a blacked out copy of his to use so may just hit him up and ask him to send that over.

But again, Im lazy and paying someone a hundred at most is fine. 

Well I'm not going to pay someone more than what I could do it for myself...which is free. :D  As for the software, I won't say one way or the other but I will say it can be "borrowed" rather easily. 

Well I'm not going to pay someone more than what I could do it for myself...which is free. :D  As for the software, I won't say one way or the other but I will say it can be "borrowed" rather easily. 

Thanks dude, gotcha.  I already found copies online that can just be changed via PDF, that was too easy.  Kinda scary. 

• 4 weeks later...

What are the steps involved in order? Do I have to have my stamp to purchase the item? Pay for the item, but have stamp at time of delivery? I'm starting to consider some options, but I'm starting at zero with this.

What are the steps involved in order? Do I have to have my stamp to purchase the item? Pay for the item, but have stamp at time of delivery? I'm starting to consider some options, but I'm starting at zero with this.

To get a stamp you need the serial number of whatever it is, so it needs to be bought and paid for. The first step is buying the nfa item, then shipping it to a local fll dealer with a class 3 licence, then fill out the form 4 paperwork (either as individual or trust) and have the ffl holder fill out their portion, and finally mail it in with $200 in check or MO. Once the stamp comes in, you can then legally take possesion of the nfa item. Read through the From 4 paperwork to understand what you need, its pretty simple.

I just used quicken willmaker for the trust. I did hear from a lawyer friend that a trust is not technically created until there is something in the schedule a, so my first item is just a $2 bill with the serial number. That way I could send the ATF a schedule a for the first nfa item I got.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

...to pipe in, generally the trust would be the better way to go. Not sure where Ohio legislature is on the okay ong of suppressors for hunting. You can own them legally anyway ( and machine guns) if paperwork is in order. $200 fee (may be $300) one time for you, selling it, and gummermint wants another fee.

The general drift is...you own it and ONLY you, so no one else could shoot it....or, trust owns it.....and you can pass it around to other trust members.

Local guy here for all the legal stuff, paperwork/forms, yadda, yadda.....

Joe West ... Is FFL, he does make suppressors. He has a machine shop. So see Joe for firearms, machine guns, suppressors....

330 567-2455, Fax 330 567-3376. Or jjperformancepb@gmail.com

Or....you could slip filing on the sear, when doing the routine maint. Red endearing your firearm.....uh, nevermind...

....and ... oh Yeah, I also understand having the "forms" in order on a suppressor, the fine print says, you allow gummermint access to 'inspect' anytime....not too keen in my view, but ! Hey! I'm just a woodland creature, back in the hills with all the other Appalacia. (Google yer self on da spellin')

Legal to hunt with suppressors now, not sure if its across the board with all animals and legal calibers or if there are restrictions.  I am sure that ODNR will have some say in the specifics.

An individually owned NFA item may be used by others as long as you are present.  Cannot leave item unattended when others have access to it....considered an illegal transfer.  Grantors and trustees may both have possession of the items contained in the trust.  Again, access to them must be restricted to individuals not in the trust when you are not immediately present.

Have always been told that you have "invited" the carpetbaggers to come kicking your door in to see das papers,  but have been advised that in the case of an nfa item, normal warrants are needed for a door kick.  I believe they reserve the right to enter your listed address for place of business when an SOT status (class III dealer) is attained.  Something about being able to check inventory...didn't read too deep as it doesn't apply to me.

Its really all a big bunch of mess trying to sort out the intricate details of the GCA and NFA regs.  Hopefully, the FBI will take over soon and may run things a little more sensibly.

Legal to hunt with suppressors now, not sure if its across the board with all animals and legal calibers or if there are restrictions. I am sure that ODNR will have some say in the specifics.

An individually owned NFA item may be used by others as long as you are present. Cannot leave item unattended when others have access to it....considered an illegal transfer. Grantors and trustees may both have possession of the items contained in the trust. Again, access to them must be restricted to individuals not in the trust when you are not immediately present.

Have always been told that you have "invited" the carpetbaggers to come kicking your door in to see das papers, but have been advised that in the case of an nfa item, normal warrants are needed for a door kick. I believe they reserve the right to enter your listed address for place of business when an SOT status (class III dealer) is attained. Something about being able to check inventory...didn't read too deep as it doesn't apply to me.

Its really all a big bunch of mess trying to sort out the intricate details of the GCA and NFA regs. Hopefully, the FBI will take over soon and may run things a little more sensibly.

Sounds right....our discussions revolved around how picky they were going to be, with present atmosphere, on letting someone shoot yer stuff while you were standing there. We being the folks around here, wondered, but not bothering to confirm.

This is where, Joe, mentioned above, does all that paperwork on suppressors (or machine guns). He says it is real easy (on silencers) - which have been legal all along, provided you did the paperwork.

He makes up the suppressor and does the paperwork.

I hadn't heard how far the suppressor for hunting measure got thru legislature. Thanks, and yep on rifles in Ohio for the first time, presumedly for deer. Our local ODNR guy will be at the Glenmont gun show (4/18) ... Easy to talk to and access for info on the hunting.

Edited by littlecarbsbigsmiles