OMRL 2015 - race all summer for $500

redkow97

The 2015 schedule is up at www.ohiominiGP.com, and it includes 2 weekends at G&J in Cincinnati, as well as our standard 1 round at PIRC, and 6 rounds at Circleville.

There are up to 3 rental bikes available on any given weekend, and your first race is FREE.   The only cost to you would be $10 at the gate, $10 to rent a transponder.  I believe the club picks up the single-day race license, but a full season license is only $35 or so in the past.  If you are sharing a bike, you can also share a transponder (my brother and I did this when he raced novice XR100 and I did Expert.  Two novices could do this if one raced stock XR and one raced F3)

I did some quick and dirty math on the cost of racing a full season of racing.  That's ALL 9 ROUNDS:

1 class (including gate fees and transponder rental) will run you less than $500 for the full season (my numbers are not precise, because I don't recall exactly how much PIRC entry fees are)

2 classes will run you less than $700 for the full season

3 classes will be less than $850 for a full season.

If you can race 4 or more classes, I believe your 4th class is free, so $850 pretty much buys you unlimited racing on any bike there's a class for.

If you have a bike between 50cc and 150cc, it fits into one of the standard race classes.  The club has also raced supermotos up to 650cc.

If 3 off the same bike show up, they can ask for their own exhibition class (I'm looking at you, Grom owners.), or race it in an existing "formula" class, or both.

It's a ton of fun, and a great group of people.  Hope to see more OhioRiders out next year.

it's been pointed out to me that I did not factor in the cost of practice days (run at G&J and PIRC the day before races), gas, repairs, etc.

That is absolutely correct - the numbers above are based on RACE FEES, transponder rental, and the gate fees I'm aware of at CRP.

Obviously the bike burns gas and you have to pay to rent or buy the bike itself too.  You also have to get yourself to the track.  For me CRP and back is at least a full tank of gas, so that's $40-50.

Realistically, I spend about $1,000 each season running 8-9 rounds, and racing 2 classes every weekend.  This season I replaced some spokes and the front hoop on my bike.  I also changed the oil once.

My bike cost $475 and I put $300 into it with the front wheel and new tires.  I think renting is $50 plus cost of any parts to repair it, but I have never done it. 

i plan on doing this entire season racing supermoto.

the schedule does have some conflict with work, but i'll make arrangements.

can't wait for april to get here! i need to put in some seat time!

The Groms have a class. Scooters not so much. I suppose you could argue your case to Kent if you showed up with one that passed tech though

if 3 people show up with scooters, they will score them on their own as an exhibition class.  They may grid with another class, but they will be scored separately. 

I don't know what displacement everyone's scooter is, but those can run in the formula classes as well.  I don't see them being competitive, but if you have 1 person to race against, that's still a race.

i plan on doing this entire season racing supermoto.

the schedule does have some conflict with work, but i'll make arrangements.

can't wait for april to get here! i need to put in some seat time!

I'm not sure I'll get to race the entire season, but I'll certainly make a few races!

I'm gonna try and make a couple rounds! If there is a rental bike available. Is the rental bike info. posted on the website?

the rental bike info is NOT posted anywhere on the website.  That was something brought up at the banquet that some people want changed.

The club itself doesn't own the rental bikes.  Kent (President) owns 1 and Russ (Administrator) owns 2.   Neither are on facebook...  There ARE email addresses on the "contact" page.  https://sites.google.com/site/midwestminiracing/contact, and a few of the officers' names need to be changed after elections this past weekend, but someone will answer the generic OMRL gmail account, or you can contact Kent directly.    If they're not responding, PM me and I'll text him :)

the rental bike info is NOT posted anywhere on the website.  That was something brought up at the banquet that some people want changed.

The club itself doesn't own the rental bikes.  Kent (President) owns 1 and Russ (Administrator) owns 2.   Neither are on facebook...  There ARE email addresses on the "contact" page.  https://sites.google.com/site/midwestminiracing/contact, and a few of the officers' names need to be changed after elections this past weekend, but someone will answer the generic OMRL gmail account, or you can contact Kent directly.    If they're not responding, PM me and I'll text him :)

Thanks for the heads up!

the rental bike info is NOT posted anywhere on the website. That was something brought up at the banquet that some people want changed.

The club itself doesn't own the rental bikes. Kent (President) owns 1 and Russ (Administrator) owns 2. Neither are on facebook... There ARE email addresses on the "contact" page. https://sites.google.com/site/midwestminiracing/contact, and a few of the officers' names need to be changed after elections this past weekend, but someone will answer the generic OMRL gmail account, or you can contact Kent directly. If they're not responding, PM me and I'll text him :)

Imma jump in a few too... Hopefully I will have a xr but if not, I'll be renting as well

I'm planning on racing most of the season. I've changed roles at work, so now I'm home a lot more. Baby on the way, but I should still be able to make more races than last year. Even bought a new bike for it. Woot.

Rock on, good to hear that!   You need to chase down the Midget!!! 

• Upvote 1

Ben! I was wondering where you were at the banquet.

You've gotta come catch Todd this year.

I was in Spain for two weeks for work. I missed the OSU championship win, the NHL all star game (had tickets), and the OMRL banquet. Talk about bad timing for a meeting.

Ben!  I was wondering where you were at the banquet.

You've gotta come catch Todd this year.

Don't forget about me!! Unless you were just talking about Ben chasing the Midget for 2nd place! ;)

This really is a great time and good people, If you have never been out to one of these i strongly recommend at least coming out to watch one weekend, if you have any interested in racing for fun then this is where it is at. Cheap bikes, cheap entry fees and a good class of people that are willing to help in any way they can.

anything under a minute is definitely expert pace.

I wasn't so sure about that last year, but that's where I started in my first expert season, and I dropped 2 seconds...  I also dug back through old lap times and Kent was winning expert races (in stock XR) with :58's a few years ago.

"expert" status isn't as scary as it seems.  One, it's just a word.  I hardly consider myself an "expert" except by classification, and two racing against the Bull makes everyone faster.  You can beat up on Ben to the point you'll feel bad about it and he will come into the pits and tell you how awesome it is that you're trying so hard to put a pass on him.

lol NO NO NO!! My times will not be in the 58's...they will just be 1/2 second or so better than second place! ;) I only have one season racing OMRL therefor i get to race in novice for another season to get the "feel" of this racing thing that you guys speak of! :)

lol NO NO NO!! My times will not be in the 58's...they will just be 1/2 second or so better than second place! ;) I only have one season racing OMRL therefor i get to race in novice for another season to get the "feel" of this racing thing that you guys speak of! :)

Mylaps doesn't lie!!!   ;)

fzzLakcl.jpg

Edited by bark615