2015 Epic Ride Spring Organization & Inputs

DerekClouser

2015 Spring Epic Ride Date Selection  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What date would be best for the 2015 Spring Epic Ride?

2. 2. Meeting Spot

• Hocking Hills - Keeping similar to previous years
    • Zanesville - Different route - more central meet spot - something different from years past.

Guess it is that time again to put together some details for the Spring 2015 Epic Ride.   Do we want new meet location + route? What are good dates?  Once we get some ideas put down, I'll start some polls for the final decisions.   

Time to occupy some of the dreaded winter.  Please don't dismiss other's ideas, lets just get them all down and we can then try and narrow down to the most popular for everyone.

Sorry, I've been a bit preoccupied lately with work and holidays that I haven't gotten on the site too much.

Edit:

I have added 2 polls for the Spring Epic Ride 2015 - I have allowed for multiple answers to be given, so if you are impartial to multiple dates (or either meet spot) you can vote for multiple answers.  Voting will end on Feb 31, 2015 and decisions will then be made.  

Voting is public as well. 

Edited by DerekClouser

Keep the same route and meet spot, this keeps us from getting lost :)

Dates, off the top of my head... May 9, 16, 23 June 13, 20

This a voids the Dragon weekend and graduation for our kid. We are out on May 30 and June 27.

This is only an option I am throwing out there...

Edited by snot

Just a reminder that last May 18th was very

chilly for folks riding to the meetup spot.

I think sometime in June would be best.

Any dates to add?

I think it was colder the year of the dream ride, we had a huge turn out for a cancelled ride :).

I know for the guys who race June is usually out. Late may is graduation for a lot of people too, and early June is the Dragon. We are kind of limited depending on who wants to ride, but thats why we have a fall ride too, right?

Edited by snot

I like the route, especially since I'm learning it fairly well, but if the route does change - so be it. A lot of good riding to be had down there.

I'm not a fan of the early season fog/cold mornings and evenings for the ride there and back, so early summer is my choice ( mid June ).

I feel the Start/Finish point is a pretty good locale since there's a ton of open space allowing for a larger turnout.

I honestly dont see where much improvement can be made on it all, good setup as is. But, if other ideas bring more of us out - I'm game

I'm open to most dates, but definitley a fan of the later (June-ish) dates. It's warmer and I have a little more time to get some riding in on my own. My last ride of 2014, I biffed it on some gravel. Haven't had a chance to get out since. It'd be nice to get some miles in before heading to the hills. Or even have a chance to ride those roads before doing a group ride. 

The original route seems to be a great ride...more of us are getting to know it some and it's beautiful down there...tradition isn't a bad thing...great meeting/ending spot in logan

The ride could be more Epic: Zanesville meetup, route including 377, 26, 260, 800, 255, 556, 537, 565, 78. I'm not particular about the date.

I like this. It's a long day for some though - could be an overnighter for the western group.

Any dates to add?

I have no particular dates in mind.

I think it was colder the year of the dream ride, we had a huge turn out for a cancelled ride :).

The October 2012 Dream ride out of Newark had a temperature of 53° F at the start.

I think there were around 38 bikes on that ride.  This was the cancelled  ride, due to

a rainy morning.

Last spring it was 48° F in Newark when it was time for me to head to the meet

point.  That's why I stayed home.

Part of the enjoyment of the ride is to and from the meet up spot.  Even though

it's only an hour's ride from home to Logan, I still want to be comfortable getting

there and back.

I know for the guys who race June is usually out. Late may is graduation for a lot of people too

, and early June is the Dragon. We are kind of limited depending on who wants to ride, but thats

why we have a fall ride too, right?

I wouldn't mind a different route, but I don't want to be the one to map it out.

If you want to go back and look at the after ride comments from past rides,

you can find them at the following links.  I think it's a good idea to see what 

was suggested, to improve future rides, since this is now the future.

2014 Fall Epic Ride: http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/105711-unofficial-fall-epic-ride-saturday-september-27/

2014 Dream ride : http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/103963-unofficial-spring-2014-epic-ride-may-17th/

2013 Dream ride : http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=102404

2012 Dream ride : http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=97435

2011 Dream ride : http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=82628

Dream ride start temp for us was 34 we had to ride over an hour to get there. So, last fall was warmer for us by 2 deg. to start.

We have a consistent number of just under 40 on all the rides except 1. From 2012-14 we have had a handful of regulars including swees and leads.

I suggest asking the lead and sweeps if they agree will to do the job on new routes too.

Dates:  

May 16 - Seems relatively clear of anything as of now, only downside to this date could be a particularly colder start 

May 23 -  Memorial Day weekend. -Not sure how much of a fan people are for that weekend, but it also gives those who ride an extra day to recuperate from the longer ride.  Not sure how it will affect people being                       able to attend and possible heavier cop presence. 

May 30 -  This date we lose Snot/Helmutt participation

June 6 - Off Limits - Deals Gap OR trip 

June 13 - Barber AMA race (tentatively scheduled for this date) - Not official - but I plan to vacation there this weekend so it's off limits for me and probably whaler/wolfman 

June 20 - We lose IP and is that too late for a "spring" ride?

The ride could be more Epic: Zanesville meetup, route including 377, 26, 260, 800, 255, 556, 537, 565, 78. I'm not particular about the date.

I agree. I like the HH route, but 2 years in a row for 3 rides, I think it may be time to a more centralized location and different route - If it fails, then we can always revert back to the HH location for the Fall ride. 

I like this. It's a long day for some though - could be an overnighter for the western group.

Zanesville isn't any longer from Dayton than Hocking Hills?

I wouldn't mind a different route, but I don't want to be the one to map it out.

If you want to go back and look at the after ride comments from past rides,

you can find them at the following links.  I think it's a good idea to see what 

was suggested, to improve future rides, since this is now the future.

2014 Fall Epic Ride: http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/105711-unofficial-fall-epic-ride-saturday-september-27/

2014 Dream ride : http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/103963-unofficial-spring-2014-epic-ride-may-17th/
2013 Dream ride : http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=102404
2012 Dream ride : http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=97435
2011 Dream ride : http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=82628

Good man, good man... Helpful links. 

Dream ride start temp for us was 34 we had to ride over an hour to get there. So, last fall was warmer for us by 2 deg. to start.

We have a consistent number of just under 40 on all the rides except 1. From 2012-14 we have had a handful of regulars including swees and leads.

I suggest asking the lead and sweeps if they agree will to do the job on new routes too.

I think the Hocking Hills route is a pretty difficult route. I don't think we'd have any less of a time finding leads/sweeps than last year on a new route. 

Edited by DerekClouser

We are still learning the route, but it is up to Hellmutt as far as if he continues to lead. I just know he likes the current route and we are becoming familiar with it.

I gave my opinion, that's all it was.

whatever weekend this ends up being, let's make sure the thread title is edited to include the date.

I can't stand those "who wants to ride this weekend?" threads.  90% of the time I click on them, the ride date has already come and gone.  Yeah, I enjoy the stories and the pictures, but just put the damn date in the thread title so I don't go in their looking for a ride for NEXT weekend...

/rant

• Upvote 1

whatever weekend this ends up being, let's make sure the thread title is edited to include the date.

I can't stand those "who wants to ride this weekend?" threads.  90% of the time I click on them, the ride date has already come and gone.  Yeah, I enjoy the stories and the pictures, but just put the damn date in the thread title so I don't go in their looking for a ride for NEXT weekend...

/rant

Will post an entirely new thread so don't you worry.

Dates:  

May 16 - Seems relatively clear of anything as of now, only downside to this date could be a particularly colder start 

May 23 -  Memorial Day weekend. -Not sure how much of a fan people are for that weekend, but it also gives those who ride an extra day to recuperate from the longer ride.  Not sure how it will affect people being                       able to attend and possible heavier cop presence. 

May 30 -  This date we lose Snot/Helmutt participation

June 6 - Off Limits - Deals Gap OR trip 

June 13 - Barber AMA race (tentatively scheduled for this date) - Not official - but I plan to vacation there this weekend so it's off limits for me and probably whaler/wolfman 

June 20 - We lose IP and is that too late for a "spring" ride?

I agree. I like the HH route, but 2 years in a row for 3 rides, I think it may be time to a more centralized location and different route - If it fails, then we can always revert back to the HH location for the Fall ride. 

I'd be up for May 16.  Wedding anniversary Memorial Day weekend might be tough to be gone all day.  Tough, but not impossible if that works best for others.  

Meeting in Zanesville is good with me, some really excellent roads mentioned above.  Anybody know where there'd be a good place to gather?

I'll continue to lead a medium paced group, Derek, no matter the route. If I get the route in advance, I can map study enough beforehand to pull it off as best I can. It's just nice having some familiarity in the mix. I was just getting quite confident memorizing the current route, but dont let that stop planning for a new route and meet point. I'll do my part if it's scheduled for a weekend I can go.