NOS for towing?

redkow97

I currently use my wife's SUV as my tow rig.  it's totally adequate for my needs, but she does not like driving my shitbox while I'm gone for the weekend.  If we ever have a second kid, the shitbox will be completely impractical to leave her with overnight.  I am also considering upgrading the wife to something larger, newer, more reliable, and safer.  This would provide an opportunity to add a hitch, or not...

So I've considered throwing a receiver hitch on the 'rolla.  It's rated to tow as much as my trailer is rated to carry, but I foresee problems on extended hill-climbs, even with a relatively light load.

Would it be totally ridiculous to install a mild nitrous system to add power in such scenarios?  My knowledge of NOS is limited to what I read online, but the idea would be a small amount that the engine can safely handle for a longer duration.  It's an automatic transmission, so I would wait for the car to down-shift under acceleration, and then help it out by giving it some spray.

Intelligent, or stupid?  Parts appear to be about $600-$1000, depending on which kit and how large of a bottle.

Maybe the dumbest idea I'll read all month.... No offense and shit.

Nitrous on a corolla is bad news waiting to happen... Especially spraying up hill pulling max load weight the car is designed for.

Not to mention once you run out of spray after a minute or less and have to go pay to have bottle filled again... Unless you're going to install 10 bottles in it... Are we talking corolla hill climb races or something? Your bottles would be empty so quickly it wouldn't even matter for "extended" trips.

Edited by Steve Butters

Corolla motors are de-tuned and overbuilt. It might handle it for a while....but like previously stated unless you're gonna hook up 12 bottles you're not gonna get much time out of it. Might be worth it to see what gains you could get from intake, exhaust, bigger injectors and an ecu override and tune....might pick up a significant amount of power. Other way to go is weight reduction....probably not much fat left to cut on it tho. Nitrous is just a horrible idea, it has the tendency to reduce engine internals to scrap metal.

Maybe the dumbest idea I'll read all month.... No offense and shit.

none taken.

I was (apparently mistakenly) thinking I could set up a de-tuned spray for more prolonged use.  The kits I was browsing all claimed 30+ whp increases.  That was the baseline.  The top-end was 75-150hp increase for larger engines.

I was theorizing that a 30hp increase would use the bottle less quickly, and maybe last to GA and back if I only used it when I needed it.  

I think the real strategy is to anticipate hills by getting up to 80 mph before the incline starts, and then slowing back to legal speeds as you hit the grade.  But that's not always possible in traffic, and there are plenty of scenarios where a burst of acceleration (or that option) really helps...  As if I need to tell a bunch of riders that :p

Not to mention the legality of NOS on the street. In Ohio you could be perceived as a street racer and lose your car.

that would be a pretty ridiculous citation when there's a trailer behind the vehicle.

What ordinance are you thinking of with the NOS thing though? I recall reading some proposed legislation that sounds similar, but I also recall it being extremely subject to attack based on a 'void for vagueness' defense.

Racing is a behavior, not a piece of equipment.  Besides, if you're going to say a civic with nitrous, putting out 300 or so horsepower is automatically a "racer" and thus breaking the law, then how can the law reconcile allowing Corvettes and the like to legally exist?

Cant believe I just read that. I say go for it and report back how it works out. Lol

i'm struggling to find decent youtube results of a nitrous corolla, but as someone already mentioned, the 1.8 is tuned to much higher output in other applications.  I don't think a small shot would destroy it, and the advantage would be that you CAN just leave the button alone and still get 36 mpg highway.  That's not possible if you start bolting on Celica GTS parts and increasing the overall output at all times.

All that said, I know next-to-nothing about nitrous, which is why I asked if it was a dumb idea, or one worth looking into.

I've got to say though, the youtube videos of guys blasting a rental Crown Vic with a 150 shot (100 hp increase at the wheels) make me want to try such foolishness with the Tuna :D

i'd only use nitrous in WOT situations for short periods of time. Some of the inclines you encounter while towing can be miles in length. You'd run the bottle out on one of these inclines and eventually grenade the motor and/or transmission. Its for race use only.