First real panic situaion while hunting today.

speedytriple

So i took my son out shotgun hunting today. Everything was going as planned until the ice storm hit. We went back to the truck to get lunch and saw how bad the ice was. After a little investagating we saw it was pure ice both ways to get out. With no other option we tried to go down the hill. Bad idea we went off road on a slide with abs locked up. Slammed hard into a ditch, got out with some spinning and rocking. Problem was i was facing the wrong way now. Turned the truck around after a long bit. Then slid off the trail again, almost hit a tree. Stopped for a bit to regroup. I had to use my truck bag which had a tomahawkin it to break up ice and try to get my truck back on road. Got ready to do the worst part of it, sent the kid out of the truck to a safe spot. Then headed down tbe ice, went off the road a few times again. Thought i was gonna be spending the night in the woods in the truck. Glad i carry my little bag of food water and over night gear. After almost 2 hours i made it 300 yards down the hills and made it to the road. Then i found out i had tire damage from slamming into a rocky bank. After changing a spare tire out we were back on the road again. 4 hours of ice freezing rain and off roading we made it out. I almostbgot stuck in the woods and my little bag made it possible to get out and have some food/water for my kid. Always be prepared for the worst....

• Upvote 2

wow man! sorry to hear about the bad day...I have been through a couple like that growing up with my day (im from upstate NY) and I can personally say today will make a great memory for your son and I am sure you tought him a lesson about being prepared that could never be said. experiance is a life lesson!

On a side note I had two bucks come in together tonight 10 yards from stand...young and not shooters but looks like the rut is over. :(

Thats what i did to get out two tires on the ice two in the burm in soft snow. Slid all the way down with two wheels locked with abs on other two were unlocked and just rolling/sliding down the burm. Tires were cooper discovery m/s tires. Not the best option but got me out. Getting new tires monday already had them on order, so the broken bead tire is not that big a deal.

Speedy... Aren't you glad you asked everyone to evaluate your preparedness?

If you've driven to your hunting spot, sooner or later you have a cool story about it. Shit happens in the woods.

I once jumped into the icy Thunder Bay River with full Carhart bibs and coat to rescue the row boat that we "borrowed" from a cabin near ours in order to recover a deer who decided to die on the other bank.

Yeah its funny i get razzed all the time for how heavy my bags are. Im glad i had what i had when i needed it. That sog hawk saved me an insurance claim for sure. Had i not had it to chop holes in the ice for traction i would have hit a tree for sure. You never know what you may need..

Edited by speedytriple
  • Upvote 1

Prepper instincts paid off, props to you for doing so. All I got in my truck are some tie downs, spotlight, blanket, gloves, a bottle jack and a 4way lug wrench....but if I were heading into the wild to do some hunting, I'd definitely have packed some extra preparedness like you did. Glad you guys came outta there with just a flat and several wasted hours

In the winter i keep a blanket, extra warm jacket, boots, gloves, and winter hat. For my bag it stays in my truck all year round but gets things swapped for the weather. It has tomahawk, hand saw, bush knife that has a fire starter on it, canteen w cup in holder, water filter, hobo knife, 200 feet 550 cord, two days worth of my meds and otc pain meds. Knife sharpener, a mora knive, emergency mylar blanket, military rain poncho, waterproof long burn matches, tinder packs which are made of dryer lint and petrolyum gel in a chew can, food is 3 water bottles, power bars, ramen noodles. Headlamp and spare batteries. Might be more cant remember off hand. Fits under the back seat of my truck. With the blanket and boots on the otherside. Keep a few tools and a 12v tire pump and fix a flat can as well.