Brrrrrr

RHill

Hope everyone has switched their water over to antifreeze!

Switched mine awhile ago, but just ran them a little tonight to get it circulated.  Realized I still had a set of good tires on the bike so I pulled em off and brought them inside....should I be concerned abt the hot/cold overnights they have been through this fall, or mainly an issue below freezing?

FWIW, I've asked a coworker who used to be a tire engineer about the cold and potential for splitting, and says no way would tires split due to cold. The seam separation issue is unrelated to cold - I've seen it on several tires, including different tire mfgs and bikes. He says its a minor defect that does not impact tire integrity. Undesirable yes, serious problem no. The cold weather issue is really about how race compound tires can "spider web" like glass, but not split. His recommendation is too keep them inflated, off the ground, and away from fluorescent lights and generators (??).

So he isn't concerned about the heat/freeze thaw cycles?

Spider web is a good way to put it; left a old tire in the garage last year; when it was smacked off the ground and flexed it looked like it shattered.

Not sure about the fluorescent lights and generators, but materials that generate ozone are a concern.

Managed to drain thee water wetter and get 3 bike batteries, a scooter battery, and lawn mower battery in the house Thursday when I got back from NJ. I was there for work, 2 miles down the street from NJMP. Then I ran the snowblower for 2 hours, put winter tires on the fiancé's car, packed my bags and got on the first flight to Florida Friday morning. One of the small perks of traveling for work. Was 75 today and 80 tomorrow.