Cbus Gun Shops, ranges, etc.

madcat6183

So apparently Powder Room in Powell closed in May and a spin off opened in West Jefferson in BFE really, about 1/4 mile north of 70.  Just talked to them and read the facebook writeups and sounds super legit and prices are solid from what I've seen.  Super close to me too, 7 miles or 12 mins.

With that said, I know there's Gun World in Hilliard too, which is 2 miles, but I've never stopped in after reading reviews and a friends bad experience there.  Was curious if anyone has actually dealt with anything there?  It's small, right on main street, but I like supporting local business and all that jazz.  Plus there's a bar/resturant right next door with a sweet patio.

Friend was at Vance's new store last night, said the range is state of the art and super legit, but the store didn't feel as big as Heath/Hebron, but obviously better than Cleveland Ave.  We just moved from that exit and would have been 1 mile away, but with the construction, not sure I would travel there if I don't have to.

LEPD is close and easy for me to get to, but prices are OUTRAGEOUS, but range time is inline with everyone else.

Friend shot Bullet Range yesterday and said it's legit, range time is a lot, but gun prices were about with Gander/Cabela's.  He's new to guns etc. so not sure how much I trust his info, plus he's usually full of BS.

What is everyone local to Cbus doing these days?  Anyone have a go to, obviously would be Dale if his hilliard store was open, but not trying to drive all over to make things happen.

I know there's another gun shop in West Jefferson, West Jefferson Outfitters, but never been there either.

Become a member at the Coshocton gun club for $50 bucks a year and it is open 24 hours a day to you and immediate family. It may be a little further but for the freedom it makes it almost worth it.

Edited by kawi kid

I've been buying my new guns from Keeley Arms. Look him up on the interwebz. He operates out of his home near Mansfield. He will either ship to your FFL or you can arrange to meet him at his house. He is a legit FFL and I believe a cop. Regardless, his prices are good and seem to have a consistent mark-up, keeping him below brick-and-mortars. For shooting, I have memberships at New Albany and Blackwing (shotgun only). Although their gun prices are too high in most cases, I find the people at New Albany very friendly and make it easy to shoot and shoot often.

I've been buying my new guns from Keeley Arms. Look him up on the interwebz. He operates out of his home near Mansfield. He will either ship to your FFL or you can arrange to meet him at his house. He is a legit FFL and I believe a cop. Regardless, his prices are good and seem to have a consistent mark-up, keeping him below brick-and-mortars. For shooting, I have memberships at New Albany and Blackwing (shotgun only). Although their gun prices are too high in most cases, I find the people at New Albany very friendly and make it easy to shoot and shoot often.

Hm, parents are in Mansfield, born and raised there, where is that shop or you just get it shipped?  I would obviously pick up and make a trip out of it.

As for Coshocton, I had the application completed for that, then moved and just never followed through, may need to do that actually.  can you send me the pdf again?  You have or parks have any openings for you to sponsor us?  Any openings in the club currently?  I know Blue0636 was going to join if I did so we could meet up more than we were to shoot.

To hell with the Hilliard Gun world. That place is laughable at best. Stop in and judge for yourself.

LEPD is where I go to shoot. Nice range setup, prices are ok for time. Firearm prices are stupid.

If Woodbury in Jeffersonville is like Coshocton, ammo will be stupid steep, and firearms will be at msrp.

I've heard the new Vances store is nice as well.

Blackwing is probably the best, but really really far out of the way.

Hm, parents are in Mansfield, born and raised there, where is that shop or you just get it shipped? I would obviously pick up and make a trip out of it.

As for Coshocton, I had the application completed for that, then moved and just never followed through, may need to do that actually. can you send me the pdf again? You have or parks have any openings for you to sponsor us? Any openings in the club currently? I know Blue0636 was going to join if I did so we could meet up more than we were to shoot.

Honestly, I just let the GPS take me there. It's like NE of Marion....not anywhere near a freeway. I just stop on my way back from Cleveland when I've ordered something. I've never shipped. I'll look for some emails to get a better bead on it. I won't post address on here since it's his home and by appointment only.

Edit....it's in Galion.

Edited by C-bus

I live near The Bullet Ranch and so far I am impressed.  I have shot at the range 3 times and i bought my Shield there.  They have been open a year this weekend and I want to go back every time i am in there.  Prices are close enough usually, although there are some over the top expensive things like anyone else.  Happy to support them over Vances.  I have never really had a good experience there.  Ohio Valley is where my dad buys from (being from Rockbridge) and i have been in there a lot, always a good experience, however I miss Rockbridge Outfitters, that store was the shit! 

I find the people at New Albany very friendly and make it easy to shoot and shoot often.

I'm going to assume that's bc you have a penis. I was talked down on and had an unpleasant experience the first time I went there and have heard that behavior has occurred when other ladies have gone. I'll admit it was a couple years ago, but it was enough to make me not want to spend my money there.

I'm going to assume that's bc you have a penis. I was talked down on and had an unpleasant experience the first time I went there and have heard that behavior has occurred when other ladies have gone. I'll admit it was a couple years ago, but it was enough to make me not want to spend my money there.

I personally haven't had issue with that, BUT I do have a penis. Actually, I've probably typed more words on this forum in the past year than I've actually spoken. I tend not to indulge gun-store commandos. My interactions with them are generally limited to "have a lane? Thank you" And then "all done. Thank you". I generally don't consider people selling guns as experts on those guns. My bar is pretty low actually. Have what I want and don't piss me off while you deliver it (goods or service) to me.

Edited by C-bus
  • Upvote 1

I have all but boycotted New Albany.  Never once had a good experience up there.  I have shot there and even purchased a handgun there and it just seems like they exude a constant shit attitude that they know more or are somehow better than you.  This was before they had their on-range deaths the other year so who knows if that attitude has changed since then.  I personally refuse to go back.

Vances down town is like going to Walmart Christmas eve.  You might eventually get what you want but you will need to take a ticket and stand in line for sometimes an hour to buy it.

I live 5 minutes from the Bullet Ranch, their shelf stock has been getting much better and the gun cases are starting to fill up nicely. Haven't purchased a firearm from them yet so I haven't spent much time looking to see if their prices are in line.  The pistol range is nice and I shot their the one day.  Prices for amount of shooting time are reasonable.  It's almost brand new so lighting and range quality look good with digital target runners and fairly good ventilation.

Most of my shooting is still out at Briar Rabbit in Zanesville.  It's all outdoors but if you go during the week the place is generally empty and you have the range to yourself.  This year has been kind of inconvenient as they have had things torn up.  They moved the direction the rifle range faces so It has been really muddy, they still go out to 400yards.  Last week they were pouring a new concrete slab for the shooting benches at the rifle range.  Other than that, they are upgrading the crap out of the place and can't wait to see how it turns out.  I am good with paying a little more for annual dues seeing the owners are putting as much time and effort into upgrades as they have this year.

I have all but boycotted New Albany. Never once had a good experience up there. I have shot there and even purchased a handgun there and it just seems like they exude a constant shit attitude that they know more or are somehow better than you.

I guess I'm happy it's not just women who they are shitty to? Idk. I almost had an outburst when I asked them a basic gun question and the guy behind the counter decided my little lady brain couldn't handle a straight forward discussion about guns and decided that we should draw an analogy to shoes, bc I can understand shoes!!

I've been to LEPD a few times. It's pretty cold in there when over gone, so wearing my jacket and scarf the whole time kinda sucked, but I thought it was clean and the people who work there are polite and helpful.

Cabella's in Polaris and Field and Stream in Easton are a couple more options, but I haven't bought any firearms from them so I can't attest to them other than their existence.

I did have a weird experience at Cabella's though.  My GF and I stopped by to see if they had a Thompson in their Gun Library.  It was when The Great Gatsby was playing and she, being new to guns, wanted to see what a Tommy looked like.  The salesman was a complete prick about it, barking that it's illegal to own a full-auto gun and that they don't keep that stuff there.  I barked back the regs, and that shut him up, but it left my GF unimpressed and deflated about her interest.  Try introducing someone to firearms when they have negative emotions about it...

Cabelas is full of dumb-asses. Told me there was no such animal as a single barrel trap gun made by Browning. Apparently the BT-99s are in the gun library instead of with the autos and doubles. Moron.

Cabella's in Polaris and Field and Stream in Easton are a couple more options, but I haven't bought any firearms from them so I can't attest to them other than their existence.

I did have a weird experience at Cabella's though.  My GF and I stopped by to see if they had a Thompson in their Gun Library.  It was when The Great Gatsby was playing and she, being new to guns, wanted to see what a Tommy looked like.  The salesman was a complete prick about it, barking that it's illegal to own a full-auto gun and that they don't keep that stuff there.  I barked back the regs, and that shut him up, but it left my GF unimpressed and deflated about her interest.  Try introducing someone to firearms when they have negative emotions about it...

Head to Aumillers in Westerville Scott, hell I will go with ya. Buddy of mine is the shop manager, they have some neat toys in there. ;)

I've been to LEPD a few times. It's pretty cold in there when over gone, so wearing my jacket and scarf the whole time kinda sucked, but I thought it was clean and the people who work there are polite and helpful.

Apparently they listened.

I was there yesterday, and the heat was running full blast right above the shooting box. To top it off the wall where I normally hang my coast had a fresh layer of wet paint. SO i was shoointg with a fall jacket, and heat blowing in my face.

All kinds of fat kid hatred right there...:)

• Upvote 1

I dont visit public ranges but im fortunate that I can shoot out back. Im actually glad the powder room closed. They were not nice to their customers and were a bad representation of what the firearms world should be. I need to check out the new vances since its pretty close to me.