Accident on 270, the video

Scruit

Youtube nixed a couple attempts at publishing this because of a song playing on the radio.  Uploaded without audio to prevent that.

According to the officer, he told the police that I suddenly sped up while he was merging.

The officer on-scene was very professional.  A witness stopped and backed up my story.  The officer on scene took both of our statements, plus the witness statement.  He said he knew the other guy was at fault but when he watched this video it was all over.

That is just a total cunt move by the truck. He had all the room in the world.

Do you think he was trying to "teach you a lesson" for going too slow in the left lane?

And did you make a split second decision that you were going to hold your ground? Tough to tell from the video, but I don't notice braking before the impact.

That is just a total cunt move by the truck. He had all the room in the world.

Do you think he was trying to "teach you a lesson" for going too slow in the left lane?

And did you make a split second decision that you were going to hold your ground? Tough to tell from the video, but I don't notice braking before the impact.

It was a lesson, definitely.  We both entered the fast lane at the same time, him about 5 or 6 cars behind.  He was upset I was not going faster (right at the speed limit) but I was going along with traffic and was tailgating me for a short while before passing me.

I didn't choose to not brake - I just didn't have time to react once I figured out he was coming over versus just doing a bitchy fly-by.  I mean, I'm right there and he knows it - why would he merge into me?  Merge ahead of me and brake check, yeah I can see that.  But not right into me.

Edited by Scruit

Scruit, my neck and back would NEVER heal from that.

You almost flipped him. Damn near perfect pit maneuver. He would have spun big time if not for the wall.

What a fucking dick.

That right there is why I drive back roads 99% of the time, even if it takes twice as long. I don't need that shit.

• Upvote 2

2EB1E858-B9AA-4E64-AFAA-B16F33651586.jpg

They Lived!! ( Subaru comercial )

Totally uncalled for by the driver of the truck. 

Glad you got away with "slight" damage.

This makes me want to get a video camera for my daily drives into work.

Seems the video helped you with the officer and any potential future claims by the driver of the truck.

This seems to be a common thing with you. Weren't you the one that was on your bike and damn near stopped on the entrance ramp? Maybe you should learn a lesson from your own videos. Quit being a dick to other drivers and get out of the way.

• Upvote 1

This seems to be a common thing with you. Weren't you the one that was on your bike and damn near stopped on the entrance ramp? Maybe you should learn a lesson from your own videos. Quit being a dick to other drivers and get out of the way.

Are you saying I was in this driver's way?  I was keeping up with traffic in the fast lane.  Not sure what else I could have done.

Are you saying I was in this driver's way?  I was keeping up with traffic in the fast lane.  Not sure what else I could have done.

While I agree that you were keeping up with traffic, the far left lane is not for cruising at highway speed, it's for passing slower traffic. You had a clear lane to your right, and faster traffic behind you. You could have moved to the immediate lane to your right. I wasn't there, so I don't know what was in that lane. I'm making that assumption based on your video.

With that said, that dumbass, who was probably pissed you were camping in the left lane, merged into your lane at his front of his rear door on his crew cab. His dumbass fault. He either has really, really bad depth perception, or it was retalitory.  He was probably cited for unassured clear distance. Again, his fault not yours. I would imagine, that he expected you to brake when he began to merge. It does not look like you reduced speed or braked until you were clear of his truck at about the the 6.5 second mark of your video.That being said, accidents happen fast, and reaction times vary. I do not fault you for that. It does not look like you sped up either, with malicious intent.

• Upvote 2

While I agree that you were keeping up with traffic, the far left lane is not for cruising at highway speed, it's for passing slower traffic. You had a clear lane to your right, and faster traffic behind you. You could have moved to the immediate lane to your right. I wasn't there, so I don't know what was in that lane. I'm making that assumption based on your video.

With that said, that dumbass, who was probably pissed you were camping in the left lane, merged into your lane at his front of his rear door on his crew cab. His dumbass fault. He either has really, really bad depth perception, or it was retalitory.  He was probably cited for unassured clear distance. Again, his fault not yours. I would imagine, that he expected you to brake when he began to merge. It does not look like you reduced speed or braked until you were clear of his truck at about the the 6.5 second mark of your video.That being said, accidents happen fast, and reaction times vary. I do not fault you for that. It does not look like you sped up either, with malicious intent.

This.

• Upvote 1

While I agree that you were keeping up with traffic, the far left lane is not for cruising at highway speed, it's for passing slower traffic

Can any one show me the law that states this? ORC #? legal cases that give precedence to this concept?

As far as I am aware, the speed limit applies to all lanes of travel, and that would include the far left lane.

OP states He was at the speed limit, therefore what law makes him wrong for being in the left lane?:

He was upset I was not going faster (right at the speed limit) but I was going along with traffic...

Can any one show me the law that states this? ORC #? legal cases that give precedence to this concept?

As far as I am aware, the speed limit applies to all lanes of travel, and that would include the far left lane.

OP states He was at the speed limit, therefore what law makes him wrong for being in the left lane?:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511  - Operation of motor vehicle

4511.25 Lanes of travel upon roadways of sufficient width.

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't read law that well. Interpret what you will from that.

You are correct about the speed limit for all lanes of traffic.

The concept of lanes of traffic is simple.

Stay to the right, pass on the left. When people start weaving in an out of traffic because they are impatient, they cause accidnets with innocent motorists.

Edited by Cdubyah
  • Upvote 1

Watch the video again, specifically the very beginning where it shows him passing(going faster) than the traffic to his right.

Now, watch it again and pay attention to how close he is to the vehicle in front on him. It's 2 seconds, give or take.

Finally, watch it a third time and pay attention to the vehicle he's following and the red vehicle in the immediate right hand lane. The traffic flow was going faster than the red car in the lane to the right. If you watch until the end, the SUV that Scruit is following is side by side to the red car.

He wasn't camping in the left lane, he wasn't impeding traffic, he was moving faster than the traffic to his right, and he was a safe distance behind the vehicle he was following.

Nowhere in the ORC does it say you have to yield to road rage infused assholes in big trucks.

The roads in this country would be a better place if they had more drivers like Scruit(solely based on the video evidence presented in this thread).

Edited by BadTrainDriver

It started and was over in a few seconds.  This wasn't an ongoing thing.  He arrived at my back bumper, hovered for a second then passed.    I had been in that lane only a few seconds, and he (half) joined the lane at the same time that I did - he just was traveling faster than me at the time he joined the lane.  I didn't have the option to move right because by the time he reached the half-way-in-the-lane point he immediately departed the lane and began his pass.  He was never fully in the left lane behind me.  I wish I had a rear camera running.  Gonna put one in now, I guess.

His insurance just called and accepted liability.  Car's booked in for tomorrow at the body shop.

Edited by Scruit
  • Upvote 1

I'm with chrome and Cdub. I do believe there is a law, and you'll see the signs posted on many of the major freeways that states, "slower traffic keep right". It is not your job to regulate the speed of the fast lane. If traffic behind you is approaching at a higher rate of speed than you are going, simply merge to the clear lane to the right as soon as it is safe and surrender the passing lane to the higher-speed traffic.

It's a very simple concept of fewer and fewer people seem to understand these days.

That said, he was totally in the wrong for cutting into you and the blame for the accident rest completely on him, but riding in the fast lane at the speed limit when there is a clear lane to the right is a total dick move.

Scruit was neither "the slower traffic", nor the one trying to regulate traffic. He was moving with the speed of traffic in the far left lane, that was moving as a whole faster than every other vehicle in the video. Did you even watch the video? Did you watch it a few times with reference to the points I listed above? Did you read the ORC that someone else referenced? Nowhere does it say you've got to yield to a faster approaching vehicle. It says, and I quote: "

(A) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle or trackless trolley shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

(1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, or when making a left turn under the rules governing such movements;"

Scruit was doing that, as clearly shown on the video.

Watch the video again, specifically the very beginning where it shows him passing(going faster) than the traffic to his right.

Now, watch it again and pay attention to how close he is to the vehicle in front on him. It's 2 seconds, give or take.

Finally, watch it a third time and pay attention to the vehicle he's following and the red vehicle in the immediate right hand lane. The traffic flow was going faster than the red car in the lane to the right. If you watch until the end, the SUV that Scruit is following is side by side to the red car.

He wasn't camping in the left lane, he wasn't impeding traffic, he was moving faster than the traffic to his right, and he was a safe distance behind the vehicle he was following.

Nowhere in the ORC does it say you have to yield to road rage infused assholes in big trucks.

The roads in this country would be a better place if they had more drivers like Scruit(solely based on the video evidence presented in this thread).

1. I see he is passing the traffic two lanes to his right.

2. I will agree 2 sec follow distance, which is a safe distance to follow.

I never said he was camping in the laft lane. I said from the video the immediate right lane looked open. Apparently enough so that the truck aka Captain Road Rage, following passed in it, then cut back over.

I also said, I was not there and cannot speculate. I'm speaking about what I see in the video.

I never said it was Scruits fault either. Nor do I find him at fault. That was captain road rage all the way, without question.

That said, he was totally in the wrong for cutting into you and the blame for the accident rest completely on him, but riding in the fast lane at the speed limit when there is a clear lane to the right is a total dick move.

I'd also argue that moving into the fast lane like that when the second lane was clear was entirely punitive.  I'm sure he hoped that I would stab the brakes or move onto the shoulder or do something else to avoid the accident he was threatening.  However, I've been in the situation before where I swerved to avoid the offending car, no contact was made but I hit another vehicle.  Offending vehicle left the scene and I was blamed.  The advice I got from that cop was if I was gonna hit someone I'm much better off hitting the bad guy.   In this case, though, it all happened too fast to make a choice.

Edited by Scruit

He arrived at my back bumper, hovered for a second then passed.    I had been in that lane only a few seconds, and he (half) joined the lane at the same time that I did - he just was traveling faster than me at the time he joined the lane.  I didn't have the option to move right because by the time he reached the half-way-in-the-lane point he immediately departed the lane and began his pass.  He was never fully in the left lane behind me. 

This fills in what the video does not. Captain road rage did not give him an appropriate amount of time to merge back.

It's one thing to camp, or impede. It's a whole nother thing to not have a chance to move.

Again, no fault with Scruit.

One of the most damning pieces of evidence in the video is at 4 sec.  As the truck begins to merge into Scruit's lane, the TRUCK'S BRAKE LIGHTS ARE ALREADY ON as it comes into the frame, even before he completes the pass and prior to the collision, indicating that the driver wasn't accelerating around the slower vehicle but instead was brake checking him before the pass was even complete.  That's clear evidence of intent to cause damage, IMHO.  Burn that M'F'er!!!

Edited by Bubba

One of the most damning pieces of evidence in the video is at 4 sec.  As the truck begins to merge into Scruit's lane, the truck's BRAKE LIGHTS ARE ON even before he completes the pass and prior to the collision, indicating that the driver wasn't accelerating around the slower vehicle but instead was brake checking him before the pass was even complete.  That's clear evidence of intent to cause damage, IMHO.  Burn that M'F'er!!!

I completely agree, Bubba. 

Scruit, I don't know who you'd call...but bet a good place to start would be the office of the agency that responded to the accident, but I'd question someone on why the truck driver wasn't charged for some type of criminal act.

• Upvote 1