Legends of the Fall Ride 2014

DICE32

Somehow after doing this ride in 2011 & 12, I dropped the ball in 2013 and didn't post this (and I just checked my ride log and saw I rode on Oct 20th last year with Mike & Kelly Bowling on the route roads, so why I didn't?...I don't know?)??? So if the predicted weather for Sunday (I know, gonna have to wait to get closer later in the week) is on the money,

with mid 40 low & mid 60's high, then LET'S DO THIS!!!

And hopefully, as the title suggests, we can get some LEGENDS to come out and ride with us, you know, like they did in the previous years......

see photos and read the report here.....

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/4722673048.html

Included in the LEGENDS reference would be the roads on this route

(a lot of the same ones in the 2013 edition), plus the same lunch stop at the Red Carpet Restaurant with their “legendary” burgers!

Gonna keep the route and times close to how it was in '13, cause if it ain't broke, then there's no reason to change it much. Gonna be a fun, twisty, “legendary” route, with a great lunch.....what's not to like! Never know if this is gonna be the last pleasant weakend or not around here, especially once we get into November! LET'S RIDE!

START LOCATION: Steak N' Shake 450 Mount Zion Road Florence, Ky. (I-75 south exit 178, turn left off the ramp on Mount Zion Rd,
it's on the left, with a gas station next door).

START TIME: 10:00....kickstands up by 10:10....please show up early to get gas at one of the nearby stations, so we can start on time. I'll be there between 9:30-9:40 to answer any route, fuel, or time restriction questions.

LUNCH: Red Carpet Restaurant 401 S Main St, Williamstown, KY.

Between 12:00-1:00 is aprox time (so as usual, this give those that might not be able to make the start time & location a chance to join us here, then ride the great west-side roads in the afternoon with the group).

Pace is always adjusted to group size & experience, and we always wait at intersections till the tail arrives & knows direction we're heading.

Will probably be a mix of all kinds of makes & models of bikes.

There will be breaks & gas stops, and chances to split off early if needed,

for those that have time restraints. Everyone that rides the route till the finish should still have time to make it home for supper before dark.

This ride will be posted on multiple websites, and hopefully riders from all around the tri-state area will choose to join us on this 3rd edition of the

Legends of the Fall Ride”. Hope to see you there!

ps....the leaves have got the pretty colors now, but fallin' off the trees fast” lol!

Thanks for the correction to the links, Bubba! Those are the right ones!

Whoever owns that trailer (no affiliation) ought to have it sold by now, with the accidental posts I made about it.

Wow, brain fart for sure!

Sorry about that (little tight to be running inside that trailer, even on foot!lol!)

I guess I don't have enough posts yet to be able and fix it, by removing that link, & inserting the

2012 link Bill posted for me.....so if Casper or someone could edit that link, I'd appreciate it, thanks in advance!

Need to add SUNDAY OCTOBER 26th to the original thread also.

That's great, Tigerpaw! Will be good to see ya' again!
Getting a great response so far on the other sites
with probables for this ride, so might be a good turnout!
Weather forecast still looks good also.
Hoping that more from the Dayton & Cincy areas might want to
sample some of the twisty northern Kentucky roads on this route.
Hope to start on time, cause I have reserved tables at the restaurant
for the group already. See ya' at the Florence, Ky start!

Glad you're home safe!  Good riding with you again.  Definitely got some great riding in on the backroads today with surprisingly light traffic, even on the main SRs.

I was running the Strom hard enough to turn the Anakee DS tire to grease on 1942.

Might have to do it all over again tomorrow…. :D

First I want to thank everyone for joining me on the 3rd edition of the Legends Ride. Special thanks to Bill for helping out as sweep and goat herder when the flock got seperated amongst the twisties.....folks, it's not an easy task to see everyone in the mirrors while up front with the group spreading out amongst the curves. Always get someone to help you with the ride, or you're going to stay somewhat frazzled worrying if all are accounted for. When Chris missed the left hander on 22 and exited on to Straight Shooter Rd, we all stopped till he got turned around, then did a bike count once we got in to town. Since I had called ahead to the Red Carpet, they had the tables reserved for the group, and did a great job getting all taken care of with the legendary burgers they are famous for.

After lunch, the westside roads were a spirited riders dream, with most locals pulling over to let us by, even the old codger in an old Ford Country Squire Woody station wagon finally did after a few miles of wasted good section on 227 heading south towards Stamping Ground.

We all fueled up there, but it took a while, cause I swear that every local in the area was there at the same time getting gas. Pace began to amp up even more when we hit 368, 607, & the newly blacktopped 330 (sweet!), then 845, 36 (needs to be resurfaced), & our two favorite smaller, less known route connectors, 1132 & 1942. We stopped for a fuel break again at I-71 near Verona, instead of heading east towards Crittenden, because eveyone left (a few riders split off early) wanted to continue riding to Rabbit Hash (pretty crowded there between 4:30-5:00). Was really great seeing some old familiar faces, & meeting some new ones too. Hope everyone had a good time sampling at least a few of the great roads northern Kentucky has to offer....we are spoiled! I got another 215 miles

to add to the 315 miles on Sat riding to the Gorge, so I'm one tired & sore puppy! An addition to the soreness happened after we all left to split off for our respective homes, and I headed to mine in Union via 536. I came up on two monster sized turkey buzzards eating their road kill supper, & once spooked, decided to use me as their launching flight target. The one just missed my helmet, but # 2 hit me straight in the right leg calf (felt like if someone had thrown a basketball real hard at ya') and I guess broke it's neck, cause he was laying there in the street when I looked in my mirrors. Luckily it didn't knock me off the bike, break anything, or do more damage than a slightly sore calf muscle, since it hadn't built up momentum of flight yet. Hate those buzzards!

Great day ridin' the backwoods with a great bunch of spirited riders!

Had a blast guys!

Hey Rob,

Didn't have much luck posting on AFJ, just wanted to say thanks for supplying the route and stopping and waiting for a minute for us slower riders. I had a great day and learned a whole load of things about how my bikes handles and what I can make my bike do in a decreasing radius turn (this happened a lot, love trail braking). I learned my bike seems to want to scrape the lower fairing before it hits the pegs, so it looks like I can only hook it harder in 

At the end of the day though I pulled up next to the orange Z1000 looking at lane traffic to the left at the stop sign and did not notice the gravel below my tires, one tug of the right hand and Survival Reaction #7 I pulled harder in panic. I dropped it on the right side and there was not any damage to the bike thanks to the new extended bar ends I put on this summer. I had some paint scratches, but that is why I have touch up paint in the garage :). My feet were in sandy gravel so not much luck there. Just headed home from there (too bad I missed the beer break in Rabbit Hash!).

I am excited for next year when I am a much stronger rider!

Edited by Urban

Urban, glad you were ok, & just a few bike scratches. Been there done that,
but in my case, yep, a few scratches to the bike, but also first time = blown
left leg hamstring, second time = broken rib....both on trips, both dropped at a stop.
Finding out what your bike limitations are, and how it handles in the tight curvy stuff,
is part of the fun in getting out there, but can sometimes bite you.
Glad you had a good time, & hope you'll come down and join us again.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
Urban, I hope to post up my yearly spring ride sometime in April. I 'll be sure to add a post on here once a date gets picked.

Hope it'll work out schedule wise that you and others can join us again this year on our great Kentucky back roads routes.