Getting a title?

Daniel Schrengost

Hello all, inspiring rider here, looking for my first bike!  Found a great deal on a bike I want, only problem is there's no title!  I've been reading horror stories about people not being able to get a title in Ohio with a bill of sale.  The guy gave me the VIN, I ran it on NICB.org and it came back not reported as stolen and no lien.  Not sure how meaningful that is, or if they're pulling the proper databases.  

I've read that you can take the bike to the state highway patrol and they'll run the VIN for you, if it comes back clean they'll give you something to take to the BMV.  Is it this simple?  And the big question for me is, will they just run a VIN without having the bike present?  I'm not gonna buy this thing unless I know for a fact I can title it, but it's a sweet deal and I wasn't looking to finance or spend a fortune on my first bike, so this would be perfect for me.

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to help!  Thanks!

-Dan

Hello all, inspiring rider here, looking for my first bike!  Found a great deal on a bike I want, only problem is there's no title!  I've been reading horror stories about people not being able to get a title in Ohio with a bill of sale.  The guy gave me the VIN, I ran it on NICB.org and it came back not reported as stolen and no lien.  Not sure how meaningful that is, or if they're pulling the proper databases.  

I've read that you can take the bike to the state highway patrol and they'll run the VIN for you, if it comes back clean they'll give you something to take to the BMV.  Is it this simple?  And the big question for me is, will they just run a VIN without having the bike present?  I'm not gonna buy this thing unless I know for a fact I can title it, but it's a sweet deal and I wasn't looking to finance or spend a fortune on my first bike, so this would be perfect for me.

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to help!  Thanks!

-Dan

If it wasn't so difficult, the owner would have gotten a title before selling it.  Since he is selling without title, he's either tried and failed or just knows how difficult it can be.   

I'd avoid it.   There are plenty of deals to be had for bikes especially going into the winter months.   Be patient.  It will benefit you in the end. 

Good Luck.

Contact Titling Support & Dealer Licensing Section, at 614-752-7671 for a denial letter. You may need to seek legal advice for a possible court order title through the Court of Common Pleas (directing the clerk to issue a certificate of title per Ohio Revised Code, Section 4505.10).

From the Ohio bmv site.

Lost title, crashed with bad title, or stolen. Either way it sounds like the seller is not being honest. Has he/she given a reason for no title? The little bit of information you have given...newer bike, no title, and cheap are a red flag.

Look elsewhere, lots of deals to be had.

Edited by whaler

If he has not title for it because he's executor of his dad's estate, it was his dad's bike and they just can't find the paperwork...  Then work with them on it.  I'm sure they can get a duplicate or something.

If the seller has never had a title then you are not only trusting HIM to be honest, you are also implicity trusting the guy HE bought it from.

Does it currently have plates?  How did he register it without a title?  Are the plates legit?

Not only would I walk away, but I'd also run a VIN search on the BMV to find the last time the title was issued. 

May have been a bike that was abandoned and the owner is either dead or out of the country or otherwise not in a position to know/report it as stolen.  It may be reported at as stolen in the future, or maybe not.  You won't know until the police knock on your door.  Even if titled to you the original owner can still report it as stolen and greatly complicate things for you.

Edited by Scruit

http://athensohio.craigslist.org/mcy/4679407241.html

http://athensohio.craigslist.org/mcy/4642206767.html

This one could be more fun then you probably know

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/4699257917.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/4722551536.html

I may be biased but I love dual sports and super moto bike and the xr is something that will have enough power to keep you entertained for a while.