Strange tire wear...?

Scruit

I tried measuring the leading edge of the wheel itself against both sides of the swingarm and the "passenger" side is much closer, but I can't tell if that's because the swingarm is not symmetrical, or the wheel is twisted.  There's no side/side play in the wheel at all.

Edited by Scruit

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dw2RZlUoUY&autoplay=1

You can make tool out of a coat hanger and wire tie. Inquiring minds want to know....tire pressure you run and how even the alignment marks are on each side of the swing arm? Also do you have one side pannier loaded heavier than the other?

You can make tool out of a coat hanger and wire tie. Inquiring minds want to know....tire pressure you run and how even the alignment marks are on each side of the swing arm? Also do you have one side pannier loaded heavier than the other?

Or if you have elephantitis of the left leg...or keep horseshoes in your pocket...

I have to say that this guy cover all the bases pretty good. Having dowels machined is a great idea and would be awesome if you could have it done on the cheap but not necessary. A rod type setup like in the other video could be utilized. Personally I have never had issues with utilizing the marks on the swing arm. They may have not been perfect but never caused a problem.

Very strange.  I went out and found the alignment marks.  Dead on.

EDIT:  Home-made gauge is not giving consistent results.  Will just see if I can buy a gauge from IP when I get the new tire.

Edited by Scruit

Alignment plates are perfect circles.  They are symmetrical also - the distance between the edge of the circle and the edge of the plate is 14mm on both sides of the hole on the left (chain) side.  On the right (brake) side it's 15mm on both sides of the hole. Neither plate looks worn.  The axle was solid when I took it out.  The adjuster screw on both sides was a little loose, but the tension of the axle kept it in place.  The adjusters on this bike use the same screw to pull the chain tight AND to hold the cosmetic cover on the back of the swingarm the adjusters were both loose so the plates could rattle.

I reinstalled the wheel so that there's 3/4" slack in the chain (spec is .8"), the swingarm alignment marks are even, the chain tool is happy and my coathanger alignment gauge is happy too.

Is there a way to confirm that the alignment is good before tearing this tire up?  Cost me $212 to replace.

Not overloading. Just myself and sometimes my 10yo. The only luggage I carry is my laptop for work in one side case, and my son's safety gear in the other. Top case has only his helmet in it. Tank bag has a first aid kit and some hand tools.

I'm had to resort to methods using 2x4s, strings and tape, or even tried a laser once. Any method to confirm that the rear wheel is squared up and following the front wheel. I think most bikes have both wheels on the same centerline, but some BMWs do not. The front wheel is slightly offset to one side. No clue why. (edit: it's airheads, and some Harleys also. Oops, Kawasaki ZRXs 1200 too.)

Normally just lining up the rear wheel with the chain from the engine is good enough.

Here's a link to a guy that found his front wheel twisted to one side. They bent it back. Amusing, but it worked.

You can see in the first picture that the front triple and wheel don't line up with the rest of the bike.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=891560

String method: http://www.pegmonkey.com/node/1057

Edited by ReconRat