Mantis eats fly alive

Scruit

...and when hunters shoot a deer and drop it in it's tracks that's called "cruel"?   No, not when compared to the death most animals face...  Being bitten to death (if you are lucky) , and then eaten by something.

Let's just say if I had a choice between a bullet to the heart and getting my face eaten off alive by something...  Well, lock and load, buddy.

I love Mantids!  They're awesome creatures.  I have a finger-puppet of a mantis on my desk at work.... Her name is Martha Mantis and she's my testing mascot.  Before all of you look at me like I'm crazy (too late?), I work in software QA and Mantids, well... They eat bugs :D

Mantids don't bother with niceties like killing or paralyzing their prey. Just grab and start eating. :)

Saw a documentary on NG or Discovery a while back that spent a half hour on Mantids. They had lots of video like the one above including a small snake that got a nice gouge eaten out of him before he got away. 

The variety of shapes and colors in tropical mantids is also amazing. 

Cool creatures

Craig