Concrete question

Scruit

I'm replacing a short walkway at the back of my house (2' x 20') that was previously just paving stones on dirt.  I'm going to dig it out and replace it with 4" limestone gravel and 4" of concrete.

Is it worth using the reinforcing mesh on a walkway this short?  Will only ever see foot traffic, no vehicle traffic.

Edited by Scruit

Based on your description of how it'll be constructed, the mesh would be superfluous.  What mesh and reinforcement rods do is 1) give some additional strength in high traffic areas; and 2) keep the slab in one piece when it cracks….which it inevitably does if subjected to heavy vehicles.  You'll be fine unless you plan to put on a ton of weight as you age.   :D

EDIT:  Be sure to use a groover and put crack/stress reliefs in every 4' or so.  For a 4"  pour, your relief should be 3/4" to 1" deep.  Or saw-cut it after it cures.

Edited by Bubba

Based on your description of how it'll be constructed, the mesh would be superfluous.  What mesh and reinforcement rods do is 1) give some additional strength in high traffic areas; and 2) keep the slab in one piece when it cracks….which it inevitably does if subjected to heavy vehicles.  You'll be fine unless you plan to put on a ton of weight as you age.   :D

Cool.  Figured it was overkill, even for my fat ass.

0fcdfef632db68ec017df443a0c2cc92.jpg

478b0bd2ccd37f9af155e1739eb31dd4.jpg

This is what I had done last spring and basically all we did was a bed of gravel on 4 inches. The problem I had this really cold winter was a crack and lifting at one of the steps, but it settle back into place after the thaw.

33ac3342e2ab798f9efbc3ccbad12f7f.jpg

Not sure if helpful but I was told adding fiberglass to concrete is a waste of money. Cement sellers like it because they toss the bag in the mix and make a high margin.