Clear Channel killed another great radio station...

Casper

not sure you can really blame ClearChannel for the demise of a station.  If people are listening, advertisers buy time.  If advertisers buy airtime, the station makes money.  If the station makes money, ClearChannel isn't going to change the format for no reason...

Without a lot of knowledge of the Columbus radio market, it's hard for me to speculate that the genre was oversaturated, but it's usually that, or poor sales/management.

They changed their name to iheart media.

and?

"Radio Shack" is feeling the effects of tying their brand to a particular piece of technology.  I don't know that "iHeart Media" is particularly catchy, but it keeps them ahead of the technology curve for whatever replaces radio.  Really, "iHeart Radio" was never radio to begin with anyway.  The whole premise was online streaming to replace a radio broadcast.

Edited by redkow97

and?

"Radio Shack" is feeling the effects of tying their brand to a particular piece of technology.  I don't know that "iHeart Media" is particularly catchy, but it keeps them ahead of the technology curve for whatever replaces radio.  Really, "iHeart Radio" was never radio to begin with anyway.  The whole premise was online streaming to replace a radio broadcast.

Except you can also stream live radio.... which is the only thing I use it for.. I have Pandora and Spotify to stream my made up stations..

Oh boo hoo.

Let me tell you about this jerk named Tom.

He bought 87.7 for dirt and turned it into the best alt rock station around. Brought in some nationally known DJs and great personalities. The station was booming. Making money creating a community of like minded you adults. Then over night everyone gets fired. And there ate just a couple OCB kids running it. Then rumors start floating around its turning to a Latin radio station to capture the mega large 13% population of the greater Cleveland area Hispanics. So it turns over to La Mega and starts its latin music and talk all in Spanish. A month goes by then the research comes out...

Well turns out, the government is taking control of all radio bands below 88.1. Son of a bitch bought a radio station promised lots of future and secure jobs for people and fires them. All to make a couple million bucks on a low band radio station he bought for well under 100k. And this wasn't even a cooperate station.

People still listen to non stop commercial radio??!?

We have a great radio station called 91.3 the summit. Commercial free. Plays a good mix of rock and alt and indie. From the 60s to today. Public radio station funded by listeners. Like I sod no commercials. People pay to sponsor and business can sponser too and the DJ simply says this hour of music funded bt such and such business

Oh boo hoo.

He bought 87.7 for dirt and turned it into the best alt rock station around. Brought in some nationally known DJs and great personalities. The station was booming. Making money creating a community of like minded you adults. Then over night everyone gets fired. And there ate just a couple OCB kids running it. Then rumors start floating around its turning to a Latin radio station to capture the mega large 13% population of the greater Cleveland area Hispanics. So it turns over to La Mega and starts its latin music and talk all in Spanish. A month goes by then the research comes out...

Well turns out, the government is taking control of all radio bands below 88.1. Son of a bitch bought a radio station promised lots of future and secure jobs for people and fires them. All to make a couple million bucks on a low band radio station he bought for well under 100k. And this wasn't even a cooperate station.

I liked that Cleveland sound brought Stansbury back, but he's on 106.9 in Canton now so Cleveland sound can piss off

Oh boo hoo.

I loved 87.7 and I was sad when it turned into Latin music.... But I didn't know about all that that happened behind the scenes.

Except you can also stream live radio.... which is the only thing I use it for.. I have Pandora and Spotify to stream my made up stations..

"Streaming radio" is an oxymoron. Radio is broadcast via radio waves. Streaming audio over your computer is not radio. You may be hearing the same content that is also being broadcast, but it's not the same mechanism. Thus the name change to iHeart Media.