Stippling?

madcat6183

I know Parks does it kinda here and there, more for his toys I think as I can't imagine it's "fun".

Anyways, anyone else know of local shops in Cbus that do it?  I'd prefer not to ship my gun out, and also curious about cost?  No chance of me taking a chance on doing it, but I think I want my Shield done with some light stippling.

Parks; comments?  Thoughts on what something like that costs locally?  I guess if you came in Nov. I could send it home with you if you're up for it, thing is, no idea when I would get a chance to get it back lol. 

I found Boomboomtactical in Cbus does it, but can't access at work to get info and call, plus I would be nervous with no knowledge of their work.  Turns out it's LEPD on Bethel.

Wow, that was cheaper than I thought, 35 each side and turn time 1 day.  Can't decide if I wanna do it or not.  If anyone has a piece they can bring to the class in Nov. I think I wanna touch it first ;)

Edited by madcat6183

Had a glock 17 that the PO had stippled, rounded the trigger guard, etc... I don't know where it was done, but it was done "professionally"

I shot the g17 side by side with a factory stock g17...

Unfortunately I gave up the glock to trade into an AR platform, so I no longer have a stippled pistol

My thoughts: Unless you are planning on playing navy seal, and swimming/wading through slime infested water, all while expecting an assailant to attempt to rip the gun out of your hands... its not really worth it.

Work on your grip technique, stance, awareness skills, etc before worrying about trying to melt millions of holes in the polymer of your gun. - I was amazed how strongly I could hold a standard polymer frame with wet hands, once i was trained on good grip techniques.

A lazy grip on a gun is a lazy grip, with or without added texture.

Edited by banditj13

Not a fan.  Kills resale value, too.

My Glock  sold for more then I paid. 

Had a glock 17 that the PO had stippled, rounded the trigger guard, etc... I don't know where it was done, but it was done "professionally"

I shot the g17 side by side with a factory stock g17...

Unfortunately I gave up the glock to trade into an AR platform, so I no longer have a stippled pistol

My thoughts: Unless you are planning on playing navy seal, and swimming/wading through slime infested water, all while expecting an assailant to attempt to rip the gun out of your hands... its not really worth it.

Work on your grip technique, stance, awareness skills, etc before worrying about trying to melt millions of holes in the polymer of your gun. - I was amazed how strongly I could hold a standard polymer frame with wet hands, once i was trained on good grip techniques.

A lazy grip on a gun is a lazy grip, with or without added texture.

I find follow up shots to be better. It does happen to get quite warm and humid in ohio. I'm fat so I tend to sweat. No Navy SEALing. 

Hold a grip and controlling recoil are 2 different things. 

I hate it.. not worth it IMO.. if there was added benefit then the company would make a model with that done to it...

There are Glocks, and M&P's with extra texturing from the factory, plus all manufactures have some sort of texturing, some more then others. 

Once we get our FFL, We will be doing some stippling services. 

14893219676_0f39360f3a_z.jpg0814140910 by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr

14913130391_857db3d42b_z.jpg0814140910a by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr

Edited by 4DAIVI PAI2K5

Yeah, honestly, more doing it cuz it's "cool", no joke.  I have no issues that I know of with recoil, grip, etc. granted I am pretty novice. 

Thanks for the pics Parks, Im sure we will eventually get together for range time and I can go pow pow with your MP's.  That's going to be the line of pistols I continue to purchase so figure might as well feel them out. 

Hold a grip and controlling recoil are 2 different things. 

Grip hold and recoil management are not 2 different things... grip has a huge effect on recoil management.. grip the gun too low, and you introduce a lot more muzzle flip; not enough driving force with the secondary hand, and the gun will recoil up, and to the weak hand side, reducing follow up shot timing and placement; weak grip, or wrists, and you can introduce muzzle fip, or drop, along with malfunctions; etc... 

In my limited training, I never once encountered an instructor who told me that I should add any sort of grip enhancers to my guns... rather, they told me that I needed to work on my grip structure... thumb placement, 60/40 grip, higher purchase on the pistol, etc...

I am not against making the gun work for you, and if something you change (including stippling/texture) makes you a better shot... Awesome on you! 

Yeah, honestly, more doing it cuz it's "cool", no joke.  I have no issues that I know of with recoil, grip, etc. granted I am pretty novice. 

This... at least you are honest about it... if its "cool" for you... have fun... but think about the replacement cost of a receiver/frame if you don't like it later...

I don't know what pistol you are thinking of stippling, but it ran me around $150 from Glock direct for a replacement G17 Gen3 reciever... (replaced for a different reason, not because of stippling)

The receiver is generally a FFL item, and to replace it involves the paperwork to go with it...

Grip hold and recoil management are not 2 different things... grip has a huge effect on recoil management.. grip the gun too low, and you introduce a lot more muzzle flip; not enough driving force with the secondary hand, and the gun will recoil up, and to the weak hand side, reducing follow up shot timing and placement; weak grip, or wrists, and you can introduce muzzle fip, or drop, along with malfunctions; etc... 

In my limited training, I never once encountered an instructor who told me that I should add any sort of grip enhancers to my guns... rather, they told me that I needed to work on my grip structure... thumb placement, 60/40 grip, higher purchase on the pistol, etc...

I am not against making the gun work for you, and if something you change (including stippling/texture) makes you a better shot... Awesome on you! 

This... at least you are honest about it... if its "cool" for you... have fun... but think about the replacement cost of a receiver/frame if you don't like it later...

I don't know what pistol you are thinking of stippling, but it ran me around $150 from Glock direct for a replacement G17 Gen3 reciever... (replaced for a different reason, not because of stippling)

The receiver is generally a FFL item, and to replace it involves the paperwork to go with it...

Poor choice of wording on my part. 

Your correct, grip is a huge part or recoil management.

I was assuming or thinking that when most people say they can grip a gun tight they are talking about just when they grab a hold of it not actually going out shooting it, trying to control recoil. I.E. oh this gun feels good in my grip standing at the gun counter, not actually taking it out to the range. 

I have seen pictures of handguns from many top instructors. Defore, Vickers, Costa, Mcnamara, Hackathorn, Haley and it seems most of the time their polymer guns have extra texturing. 

I have seen pictures of handguns from many top instructors. Defore, Vickers, Costa, Mcnamara, Hackathorn, Haley and it seems most of the time their polymer guns have extra texturing. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but most of the instructors you mention are combat style instructors... Hence my "navy seal" comment...

Sure, you have to have the basics down before you can begin to worry about combat tactics and shooting, but I guess I am viewing all of this from a daily civilian scenario, where I may have to draw and present once or twice in my life (or at least I hope that is all...), and most likely not in a slime covered, tactical environment.

But hey, if extra texture is what it takes for you to be able control and follow up, I certainly see the benefit, no matter what scenario you are in... It's just that it's not a "fix", but rather, an enhancement.

Yeah, I mean it was more of a question and just to get input than anything, after looking more at the shield not sure it'd be a gun I would do.  It has a pretty aggressive grip already, which the guy I talked to at LEPD told me yesterday.  Honestly, I was impressed, dude could have tried to talk me into doing it for 35 a side, instead he told me he probably wouldn't do a Shield, but would do more of the other MP Models first.

I gotta get in to the range soon anyways so maybe I'll ask if they have any I can fondle/shoot of other models anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure how you would stipple the metal on a 1911 frame?  Mine came checkered from the factory.  Front strap, back strap and the trigger guard are all textured.  The rosewood grips that it came with are really to smooth.  Like you guys though, my hands sweat alot and I wanted something I could rely on to give me good control so I went for a more aggressive finish on the grips.

I had never thought to google something like that. Some of those are harsh looking. I guess I am a dinosaur and prefer checkering on my guns instead of randomly placed dimples. I certainly understand the checkering doesn't work well on a polymer gun and that stippling is probably the best option. Oh well, to each his own.

• 2 weeks later...