Interesting conversation with a few thieves last night.

Gixxus Christ!

2am and I'm heading to bed when I hear a loud muffler outside. I look out the window and see an SUV parked and 2 assholes running from it towards the cars parked on the street around the corner. I retrieve my carry pistol and confront the driver from my front door....pretty short conversation....mostly 'get the fuck out of my neighborhood and don't come back'....very motivating words from a man brandishing a firearm. His buddies overheard our conversation and came running back to his truck. He took off so fast one of them fell out before he could get the door shut.

• Upvote 1

Nothing was achieved there but them plotting to get even knowing where you live and you knowing nothing about them. Additionally you started the confrontation so if they were armed and fired on you because you threatened them with a gun you would have a tough road defending that. Next time call police 1st. Then go out back door to come around behind them for a plate number and description, phone in hand on camera mode to get Picts of perps and plate if they return prior to Leo arrival. Much more accomplished that way and they do not know which house is yours. Sorry that was a very dumb move IMO

• Upvote 3

Nothing was achieved there but them plotting to get even knowing where you live and you knowing nothing about them.

I was thinking that too However, most of these petty thieves are addicts and cowards and just looking for easy scores so likely they'll not do anything that might put their habit in jeopardy.

Would've been charged with felonious assault and poss attempted murder if you hit one in truck as you were shooting in back as they drove away, again dumb move.

Not saying I would have done it, but there are quite a few old timers/farmers around here that wouldn't think twice.

The fact that in the last 5 years, my house and garage both have been broken into. I am right down the street from him and I now have security installed. They took over 4k in tools and other items from the garage break in.

I will keep another eye on the street now. Thanks for the head's up Sam.

Nothing was achieved there but them plotting to get even knowing where you live and you knowing nothing about them. Additionally you started the confrontation so if they were armed and fired on you because you threatened them with a gun you would have a tough road defending that. Next time call police 1st. Then go out back door to come around behind them for a plate number and description, phone in hand on camera mode to get Picts of perps and plate if they return prior to Leo arrival. Much more accomplished that way and they do not know which house is yours. Sorry that was a very dumb move IMO

Most interesting part here, which my wife and I both started to really believe in, is cell phone footage.  Anymore we always ensure whoever isn't carrying has their cell phone on them and ready for video when we are doing things like walking the kiddo/dog, or anywhere that is kinda questionable.  Just kind of something we both feel could be something useful in a defensive situation.

Also finally made the investment in good flashlights, high lumen tactical ones for things like this, figure it's going to cause them to have to adjust to see and also give me light to get a plate info, etc. 

Hate him if you want, but he does have a point.  Shooting at people driving away isn't what guns are for.  

I firmly believe that if you're stealing from someone, you should come to bodily harm, but unfortunately the law doesn't :(

people tend to forget the intermediate options between (potentially) deadly force and no force at all.  Pepper spray is good stuff.

Yeah, you might be charged with a simple assault (misdemeanor of the first degree) if you spray someone who convinces a jury they weren't doing anything wrong, but that's a heck of a lot less risk than shooting at someone who you don't know to be armed, or even threatening them with a firearm.

Realistically, you'd likely end up with a deal for disorderly conduct, or an outright acquittal - that's if you're charged at all.  (Most) Police officers aren't looking to jam up honest citizens who are taking reasonably restrained steps to protect their neighborhood.

Otherwise, just be a good and diligent neighbor.  Take down plates and vehicle descriptions.  Note times and dates.  That way when a house is broken into a week later, you can say with certainty that X vehicle was on your street at Y time and day (likely casing the joint).   That additional piece of evidence may help significantly, or point police in a direction that breaks a burglary case wide open.

Sam handled it better than I would have.   But I wonder what sort of consequences would be brought on by detaining crooks at gun point while waiting for the police to show up?   IF there was physical proof of their crime, that is......otherwise it's simply word on word.

I don't believe it's an issue to detain a criminal if a crime has been committed.

A friend of mine had his house broken into.  At the time of the breakin, he was literally sitting at his kitchen table sharpening an ax...really.

He subdued the criminal and called the police.  When the police got there, the crackhead was face down on the ground with a very sharp ax on the back of his neck.  He was crying and had literally pissed himself.  The police thanked him for keeping him there.

• Upvote 1