Track Day on new bike

Pxl356

Hey guys ,

Quick question.

I really would like to experience track day at mid-ohio and have a quick questions.

I have a fairly new street triple r ( 2013 with under 1k miles ) , is it safe to go to a first track day withy this bike or should I try other options ?

I would not mind buying a cheap track bike either sv650/ninja but I rather make sure I like the track experience before spending the money. On the other side , I would like to avoid to crash or damage my street triple.

Is there any way to rent bike for the track or do you have any recommendations ?

Thanks !

PJ

Disagree.

In the one trackday I did there were more crashes than I've seen in my last 50k of spirited group riding. Of course, I don't ride with squids.

Safer has nothing to so with frequency of crashes. I have crashed 15 or 20 times at the track. All but 2 were in races.

I would happily relive them all to maintain my 0 crash count on the street.

People crash more at track days because they get (too?) comfortable pushing their limits. They take risks that they wouldn't take on the street explicitly because it IS safer to do so.

This is not intended to insult track riders/racers, but it may anyway.

From my experience the "safer on track" statement is an urban legend.  I'll admit I haven't done many track days, but that's because I enjoy spirited street riding more.  On the track I was more concerned with another rider taking me out, than I am on the street.  

I think many track riders get too familiar with only the hazards that are encountered on the track, and get a bit spooked riding a spirited pace on the street having to consider traffic, blind hills, debris, etc.  Not all.  I have ridden with some very skilled track riders, that are  also very skilled street riders.  But I've also ridden with lots of very skilled street only riders.

I'm reasonably quick on the street, which doesn't automatically translate to fast on the track.  I've also seen more than a few fast track riders that were not comfortable riding quick on the street.  The skill sets are similar, but not identical.   

[i'm not considering unskilled riders, because I generally don't ride with them]

Again, this is based on my experience.  I have my flame suit on.  I'm sure there are other opinions/experiences.

Edited by Tpoppa

I'm unskilled on the street and the track and you've rode with me. :)

I love the track and it is a safe learning ground if you leave your ego at home and ride with a quality org. Mid O, MotoSeries, are the top 2. I don't know who you did yours with but maybe you should try it again with us on the 22nd at Mid O and let's see if we can't change your opinion

I'm unskilled on the street and the track and you've rode with me. :)

I love the track and it is a safe learning ground if you leave your ego at home and ride with a quality org. Mid O, MotoSeries, are the top 2. I don't know who you did yours with but maybe you should try it again with us on the 22nd at Mid O and let's see if we can't change your opinion

I did one of the KTM days at Mid O.  It could have just been the people who were there that day.  Some ego's were in full effect.  There were a few guys that I didn't want riding anywhere near me...I certainly would never have ridden with some of those guys on the street.  It wasn't a great first impression for me.  

I think some aspects of street riding are more controlled.  For example, I can choose who I ride with on the street, and I only ride with people I can trust for "quick" rides.

Again, this is my opinion based on my experience.

I did one of the KTM days at Mid O.  It could have just been the people who were there that day.  Some ego's were in full effect.  There were a few guys that I didn't want riding anywhere near me...I certainly would never have ridden with some of those guys on the street.  It wasn't a great first impression for me.  

I think some aspects of street riding are more controlled.  For example, I can choose who I ride with on the street, and I only ride with people I can trust for "quick" rides.

Again, this is my opinion based on my experience.

In my track day experiences, I have ridden with 3 different organizations and what I have found is that your experience is directly linked to how dedicated your control riders are to the program. Some CR's just want free track time. Some really want to help.

I personally feel its a toss up on whats "Safer" from street to track. The track, I don't have to worry about gravel and debris for the most part. I don't have to worry about cars pulling out, or even how fast I am going. Its just me and the bike. I ride much harder on the track, than I do the street.This has its own risks, but some of the additional risks of the track are gone.

I'm much slower on the street but I always try to leave room for error because of gravel, or horse poop, or whatever it may be. I feel much more comfortable going fast on the track, than I do the street. 

If you do crash on the track, you generally get spit off the line and out of the way, and you can slide to a stop. On the street you may find a Mac truck in your path, that will stop you. 

As I said, In my mind, its a toss up. 

• Upvote 1