Harbor Freight ODB II Scan Tool

imagineer

Where are you located and what kinds of vehicles?  I might be able to help you out, and not cast you anything.  That is unless you were wanting to get a code reader anyway.

Post a link or something to the one that you're looking at.  I do this car stuff for a living, and I might be able to help you.

If you have an Android phone buy an elm327 Bluetooth OBDII reader off Amazon for under $15 dollars. Get the Torque Pro app from the play store. That combination not only let's you read fault codes but will let you see almost every parameter reported on the OBD bus in realtime and should cost you under $20 total.

• Upvote 1

Where are you located and what kinds of vehicles? I might be able to help you out, and not cast you anything. That is unless you were wanting to get a code reader anyway.

Post a link or something to the one that you're looking at. I do this car stuff for a living, and I might be able to help you.

You still at a GM dealer? I might have some questions to pick your brain on my Tahoe

All will, for free.

And the shops get the cars after the Advance Auto and Autozone code scan doesn't lead them to the correct fix for their vehicles.  No offense to the guys that are there just doing their job...  Well, except one maybe...  :lol:

You still at a GM dealer? I might have some questions to pick your brain on my Tahoe

I think Cadillac is still GM, although it IS a different world there! ;)  Feel free to hit me up.  

And the shops get the cars after the Advance Auto and Autozone code scan doesn't lead them to the correct fix for their vehicles.  No offense to the guys that are there just doing their job...  Well, except one maybe...   :lol:

lol, putz. There are very few codes we will make a parts recommendations for, stuff like O2 S1B1 Heater circuit. haha, most others we'll refer to a commercial shop for further diagnosis.

Oh and Advance will not clear codes for liability reasons. 

I'm intrigued by the elm327/torque pro combo....but there are a lot of elm 327 boxes out there. How do I know which is quality?

Just generally figure on none of them being quality, I would assume they are all made in china/hongkong/asian country of some sort. I have two, A full size and a mini and both came with undertermined country of origin. The full size works on my Triumph and every car I have ever plugged it into. The mini will only work with the cars, for some reason it won't communicate with the bike. I mentioned to buy the least expensive one you can find on Amazon only because there are some that sell for under $15 that use the exact same photo as people selling them for over $75 on Ebay and other places. It is a single circuit card inside them and I can't see how there could be much in build quality changes for the price difference.

As a side note, for any of the guys on the forum with a modern Triumph motorcycle that has on OBDII plug (speed triple, sprint st, etc) this will work on your motorcycle also. You can read and clear any faults along with viewing real time data. You can't change any settings like you can with some of the other programs but it works as a good scan tool.