Buying Out of State Motorcyle

YZ250

I am close to pulling the trigger on a used bike from a private seller in PA. This will be my first time purchasing an out of state bike. Is there anything special that needs to be done so I don't have any issues when transferring the title into my name?

This is the information I have found on the Ohio BMV website:

• When you are converting or transferring title to a vehicle that was last titled in another state, the following is required:
  1. The actual Certificate of Title; copies are not acceptable. If your out of state title reflects an open lien, proper evidence of its extinction or a copy of the security agreement or loan contract covering the vehicle is required. If your title is held by a lienholder, any title office can provide the necessary paperwork to request the original title.
  2. Out of State Inspection Form Any vehicle last previously registered or titled in another state must have a physical inspection, before being titled in Ohio. This is NOT a safety inspection. The inspection of your vehicle will verify the year, make, body type, model, and manufacturer's serial number or vehicle identification number (VIN). All license agencies offer this service as well as many car dealerships. Call ahead and ask for the service department.
  • You will be given the completed inspection form. Please contact the clerk of the Courts Title Office as well as where you get your inspection completed, for fees involved.

Thanks for the replies!

Just did this.  You have to get an "out of state inspection," which is usually a joke.

Then it's business as usual for

Step 1) paying the taxes/getting a new title

Step 2) Registration/plates in your name.

The OOS inspection consists of a VIN check, lights/turns, etc, depending on how lazy the BMV person is.

Josh's experience was more in-depth than mine was.

I bought my F2 from a NJ or PA seller.  The bike was in the bed of my truck and had race bodywork on it, so no headlight or turn signal inspection - that shouldn't be needed for just a title transfer.  Maybe they only do that if you're also plating it?

But he's correct that it's a joke.  the BMV employee had me get into the bed of my truck and read her the VIN.  She never even looked at it herself.

Just did this. You have to get an "out of state inspection," which is usually a joke.

Then it's business as usual for

Step 1) paying the taxes/getting a new title

Step 2) Registration/plates in your name.

The OOS inspection consists of a VIN check, lights/turns, etc, depending on how lazy the BMV person is.

ya when I transfered over from Indiana the lady asked if my Vin was on the insurance card. I showed it to her and that was it. End of story.

ya when I transfered over from Indiana the lady asked if my Vin was on the insurance card. I showed it to her and that was it. End of story.

I would question their work ethic, but I can't see the advantage anyone would gain by lying, and getting title to a vehicle that they don't actually possess.  Perhaps I'm not devious enough to see the angle...

Thanks for the replies so far, everyone.

In terms of the inspection, I know PA has their own annual inspection on vehicles including motorcycles. The seller just had his done in July 2014. Do I need to bring back his PA inspection documents with me while I go to the OH BMV or are his papers irrelevant when it comes to the OH inspection?

Yeah, Ohio doesn't care about PA's inspection.

One piece of relevant info that has not yet been mentioned is that you can get the inspection done at a license bureau, but you need to go to a title bureau to get a new Ohio title in your name, & pay for the sales tax/registration/plates.

Many locations are a title bureau and a license bureau, but some aren't.  There's a list on the Ohio BMV website of the one-stop places.

They are irrelevant. The OH inspection consists of a VIN check only unless it is a salvage title, then a safety inspection may be required.

The salvage check has nothing to do with safety either. From OSHP literature on salvage inspection:

The purpose of this inspection is to verify the ownership of all parts and to review all required documentation. The inspection is not intended to certify the vehicle’s safety, or the quality of workmanship.

I successfully got the bike home yesterday from PA.

I have the PA title in hand and tomorrow will be going to the BMV to get the title and registration in my name.

However, in regards to the OOS inspestion...since the bike is not legally in my name (title and registration) how do I get the bike to the BMV to get the inspection done? Do I have to load the bike in the pick up again? 

Edited by YZ250

I successfully got the bike home yesterday from PA.

I have the PA title in hand and tomorrow will be going to the BMV to get the title and registration in my name.

However, in regards to the OOS inspestion...since the bike is not legally in my name (title and registration) how do I get the bike to the BMV to get the inspection done? Do I have to load the bike in the pick up again? 

Ride it there and don't do anything stupid on the way.  If you have an old plate or a plate from another bike, put that on, just so that it has SOMETHING.

If you have a bill of sale to go with the title, carry both, so that if you DO get stopped, you can say "I literally just bought this, and here's proof, and I'm on my way to the BMV RIGHT NOW."

Ride it there and don't do anything stupid on the way.  If you have an old plate or a plate from another bike, put that on, just so that it has SOMETHING.

If you have a bill of sale to go with the title, carry both, so that if you DO get stopped, you can say "I literally just bought this, and here's proof, and I'm on my way to the BMV RIGHT NOW."

Perfect. That's exactly what I was planning on doing. I wanted to make sure the BMV employee doing the inspection wouldn't question anything.

• 2 weeks later...

The OOS inspection on my Ducati was a joke.

-  the rep at the morse road location wasn't sure even what she was looking at...seemed like she was looking at an alien being or something. "DO-CAY-TEE"???

-  She had no idea where to even find the vin, i had to point all of that out to her.

-  didn't check for anything functioning, "yep, it has lights"

Easy-peasy.