Do you have this helmet, Shoei RF-1200?

JackFlash

I'm always looking for my next gloves, boots, bike, and also, helmet.

Do you have one of these?  Shoei RF-1200.

I would like to know how you like it and if it's better than

your previous helmet.  Noise rating?  Air flow?  Comfort?

Feedback.  Gimme feedback.  Big thanks.

Hey Jack!

I have a RF-1200 I just got a the beginning of the season. I like the fit and feel much better than my X-12 which was much more of a "race" styled helmet. It seems to be as quite as my old trusty RF-1000, that I seem to judge all other helmets to. The new shield system gets mad props at being much smoother than those of resent years, though I kind of miss the "crack" feature of others I've had. If you plan on adding an intercom system like I have, this is a great helmet to do it in, even has the speaker pockets with more than enough room for even the larger ones. The vents work very well, even at lower speeds, though not as much flow as the X-12 I had most recently, but that is the price of a lower sound level and something more more "street" aimed.   

• Upvote 1

Hey Jack!

I have a RF-1200 I just got a the beginning of the season. I like the fit and feel much better than my X-12 which was much more of a "race" styled helmet. It seems to be as quite as my old trusty RF-1000, that I seem to judge all other helmets to. The new shield system gets mad props at being much smoother than those of resent years, though I kind of miss the "crack" feature of others I've had. If you plan on adding an intercom system like I have, this is a great helmet to do it in, even has the speaker pockets with more than enough room for even the larger ones. The vents work very well, even at lower speeds, though not as much flow as the X-12 I had most recently, but that is the price of a lower sound level and something more more "street" aimed.   

Thanks Derek.  We talked about your helmet at your shop, one 

day when you were on your way out.  You being pleased with it

is what made me want to have a closer look at it, myself.

I'm currently wearing an HJC CL-16.  As a first helmet, I have no

complaints about it.  Eventually it will be time to replace it and I

tend to upgrade when I have to replace things. 

My idea of an upgrade includes more air flow on warm days and

less wind noise while riding.  I know the two are often opposing

features, but hopefully designers have worked this out.  I also

require a SNELL approved helmet, as their testing insures a

quality far beyond what I trust in DOT only helmets due to the

DOT allowing companies to test their own helmets, and not

conducting follow up testing.  To me, that's like allowing the fox

to guard the hen house.

The Shoei RF-1200 is at the very top of my list of helmets to

consider.  I find that the medium size fits me perfectly.

Anyone else have experience with one?  Give me your feedback

here, if you do.  

I have an RF-1100 coming from an HJC CL-16 too.  Night and day.  I know the 1200 is "better" but I got the 1100 for a steal in a clearance sale.  I'll assume the 1200 really is better, and damn, the 1100 kicks ass.  Can ride all day (put in a 12 hour day last weekend) with no discomfort, cooling air flow is great, and air flow around the helmet at speed is way better.  Only thing I didn't like was the lack of pin lock shield, but the 1200 comes with one.  I thought the wind noise is only a little better in the Shoei than the HJC, but earplugs solve that anyway.  My Cardo bluetooth headset fits fine.

• Upvote 1

I bought an RF-1200 in June and I'm very pleased with it. This replaced a Scorpion EXO-400 that I bought in a rush just before I got back into riding last year. I walked into the Iron Pony fully intending to get the Bell RS-1 but the sales guy (very skillfully) redirected me to the Shoei when I said I was most interested in reduced sound. And that I was not willing to try the Schuberth - maybe someday.

Anyway the RF-1200 fits great, its very light, flows lots of air, and amazingly does not catch the wind when you turn your head.Though you get a noticeable cool blast of air into one of the top vents.

I'm a bit disappointed in the sound levels though. I've played around with it and found the sound is coming from the bottom at the cheek pads where the chin strap goes through. Its a very small gap but above 60 or so it whistles a lot, depending on the position of the helmet. It's reduced if I keep my chin tucked down. It goes away if I put a hand up to near either of the sides. When I do that the helmet is impressively quiet - much quieter than the Scorpion that had whistles everywhere. I use the chin skirt usually but it doesn't change the whistle. So, some day when I'm not messing with something else I'm gonna try tape across that small gap to see if maybe some sort of skirt would help. I've looked at ads for whole bottom skirts, but I'll wait till the winter before I bottle every thing up like that.

BTW, I ordered the (pricey) Transitions shield that they say they will eventually provide. But the August ship date has now changed to Sept. That was one of my primary reasons for wanting the Bell.

Chris

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I experimented a bit on the way home today and think I know why the helmet whistles at the chinstrap. I simply stuffed a folded paper towel (that I keep in a pocket for misty mornings) into the gap btwn the strap and the cheek pad. This eliminated the whistle on that side.

http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/gallery/image/14697-rf1200-bottom-view/

Check the photo noted above. The cheekpad for the RF1200 exhibits an unnecessary and troublesome notch along the edge that should seal against the riders cheek. Instead this notch creates a gap where the chinstrap passes through to the inside that causes a whistling sound when your speed exceeds about 50 mph. I'm tempted to keep a kleenex for each side in a pocket for any rides longer than my 6 mile commute.

The red straps near the front of the pads are part of the emergency pad release system which is a great feature - or might be some day.

On a more irritable note,

Last night I sent an email to Shoei-America's customer service to ask when they would be likely to ship the Transitions shield. The first reply was that the dealer should not have cited a ship date because they (Shoei) did not tell any dealers when the shield would be available.  

So I replied immediately to ask whether they actually have this as a product, if the dealer should have sold it, and if he could tell me why it was not yet available two months after I bought it. The reply was "The transition shield is not being shipped because it is not available yet. When the shield is done with final quality control testing we will inform our dealers when the shield will be available." This is not really an answer to any of my questions, and it raised my emotional level from "concerned and annoyed" to PISSED!

So, if you wear an XL and would like a great deal on a very slightly used silver helmet - talk to me before I get over the anger!

• 3 months later...

Update:

Hey Jack!

Two weeks ago I cancelled my order for the Transitions shield when I called and they (Shoei) still do not have an availability date.I found sites on the internet that showed that Shoei has been saying they were coming out with this shield since October 2013.  It does not take more than a year to fix a quality problem when another company has been shipping these for several years now. 

On a different note, I bought the Windjammer 2 helmet skirt. Tony Blaze had one at the Epic Fall ride. The skirt really quiets down the helmet, up to 70 or so. I will probably take the thing off next spring as it is very snug around the neck and I suspect will make the contact and the interior of the helmet pretty hot. Also, it is no fun removing the helmet with this thing on. I've learned to move the skirt over my nose before the big pull but it still pulls hard n the ears and eyebrows. No problem going on - at least.

In my opinion, there is no excuse for Shoei being so unforthcoming, both with customers and vendors. Bell and LaZer have been selling their versions of the Transitions shield for a couple of years. Shoei keeps saying "it's coming" but doesn't deliver or provide specifics.

My recommendation is to buy a Bell RS-1. It's a really good helmet, costs less than a Shoei and you can get the Transitions shield right now. I love mine. I also have a LaZer carbon fiber helmet. It doesn't have the quality of the Bell, but it's very light and it comes with the Pinlock shield, on top of the Transitions photochromic treatment, so it never fogs.

I may never again buy a helmet that doesn't have a photochromic shield. That's how much I love this tech. I never have to change the shield and I always have the right tinting.