Own a sailboat? Need crew (or ballast)?

JackFlash

Does your sailboat sit at the dock more than you like because you can't find crew?

Is race night approaching but it's not worth the bother without help?

Have life vest, will travel.

I took a sailing course about six years ago.

My friend sold his boat.

I miss being on the water.

It would be nice to go sailing again.

A blue water certification is somewhere in my future.

original_20cc9cba9db8017966aca16ff745058

original_d8648f878624d3356e25503103b67df

Years ago, I crewed for a guy who sailed his 42' Tartan out of Port Clinton.  Made quite a few week- to two-week trips on the Great Lakes into the North Channel.  Work during the day pulling sheets and navigating, sleep aboard at night, and take the GH bus home when he didn't need me anymore.  Hauling up into the small ports each night and walking to the small waterfront cafes is definitely an idyllic life.  Had quite a few great times on Mackinaw Island during the race weekends.  Takes some serious cubic cash to own and maintain a boat like that, tho.

Edited by Bubba

No sailboat but I've got a stand-up jetski. You could ride spider.

Ride spider?  That's a new one I've never heard.  Made me laugh. 

Just take up kiteboarding, Jack. Cheapest way to go sailing :dunno:

It's just not the same thing.  I want to relax a little while sitting

back and enjoying the quiet.

Years ago, I crewed for a guy who sailed his 42' Tartan out of Port Clinton.  Made quite a few week- to two-week trips on the Great Lakes into the North Channel.  Work during the day pulling sheets and navigating, sleep aboard at night, and take the GH bus home when he didn't need me anymore.  Hauling up into the small ports each night and walking to the small waterfront cafes is definitely an idyllic life.  Had quite a few great times on Mackinaw Island during the race weekends.  Takes some serious cubic cash to own and maintain a boat like that, tho.

Here is a very nice 1981 Tarton 42 in Charleston, SC, going for a measly $85,000.

My checkbook would run and hide.  That's a serious boat.  I would have to live on

the hook.  Just the docking fees would kill me. 

3894230_20120411130047_1_XLARGE.jpg&w=60

I am surprised by how many thirty-footers you can find for $10,000, though they

need a little fixing up.  If I ever win the lottery I'm going to give the live-aboard

lifestyle a try.

I could get used to sailing off whenever and to where ever I pleased.

I started racing a Flying Scot earlier this year. I also plan to sail Blue Water in my future.

Flying Scot Fleet 37 is right here at Hoover Reservoir, near Westerville.

I wouldn't mind having a Flying Scot.  I could single hand it, or sail with crew.

With a 4' draft, I should have no problem with it on shallow Buckeye Lake.

I race in FS fleet one at Cowan lake near Wilmington.

I plan to retire in 10 years to a boat. Hopefully a 35-42 Cat but a 40-45 mono will also work. Definitely plan to circumnavigate after spending 2-3 years in the Caribbean areas.

Read the book leap of faith it talks about going sooner rather than later. Boat life doesn't have to be expensive. Income would make it easier. Cruisers Forum has a huge thread about living on $500/mo. Many great boats $10-40k. When I was shopping for my FS I was amazed at what I could have bought for the same money that was much larger and appeared to be in great shape.

Edited by turnone

Here is a very nice 1981 Tarton 42 in Charleston, SC, going for a measly $85,000.

My checkbook would run and hide.  That's a serious boat.  I would have to live on

the hook.  Just the docking fees would kill me.

3894230_20120411130047_1_XLARGE.jpg&w=60

I think they have really nice lines.  They're a half-way compromise between a full-size live-aboard, which tend to be rather portly amidships and slow to sail, and a racing hull, which are much more lively but with no real useable space below decks.  The shape kind of reminds me of a pregnant cat, but his boat--fully equipped and stocked for a crew of 4-5 people--was able to achieve better than 7 knots on a comfortable tack with decent wind.  As I recall, he was carrying about 2 tons of lead ballast in the keel, too.  With boats like these, regular maintenance is EVERYTHING, and I'd try really hard to find a fresh-water boat.

I race in FS fleet one at Cowan lake near Wilmington.

I plan to retire in 10 years to a boat. Hopefully a 35-42 Cat but a 40-45 mono will also work. Definitely plan to circumnavigate after spending 2-3 years in the Caribbean areas.

Read the book leap of faith it talks about going sooner rather than later. Boat life doesn't have to be expensive. Income would make it easier. Cruisers Forum has a huge thread about living on $500/mo. Many great boats $10-40k. When I was shopping for my FS I was amazed at what I could have bought for the same money that was much larger and appeared to be in great shape.

I also was surprised how much they are asking for those Flying Scots. 

Sounds like a good plan you have.  Write a book about your adventures

around the globe and I'll buy it.  I've read a lot about circumnavigation.

It fascinates me.  I'd like to give it a go but it would have to be on

someone else's boat.  It's doubtful I'll ever have a blue water boat unless

I move to the coast.  Though, Ft. Lauderdale has whispered my name a

time or two.

I think they have really nice lines.  They're a half-way compromise between a full-size live-aboard, which tend to be rather portly amidships and slow to sail, and a racing hull, which are much more lively but with no real useable space below decks.  The shape kind of reminds me of a pregnant cat, but his boat--fully equipped and stocked for a crew of 4-5 people--was able to achieve better than 7 knots on a comfortable tack with decent wind.  As I recall, he was carrying about 2 tons of lead ballast in the keel, too.  With boats like these, regular maintenance is EVERYTHING, and I'd try really hard to find a fresh-water boat.

Agreed.  Fresh water boats will not have the wear that a salty boat will have.