custom molded earplugs?

Josh1234

I have had good luck with the purple disposable ones...

They seem softer than most other brands, which makes them more comfortable, and easier to get to stick in my hears while I put on a helmet.  I use them for commuting, so 75mph or so, with no wind screen on my bike.  They're just about perfect for my liking.  I could still hear the bike sputtering when I was running out of gas, but the wind noise is almost completely gone.

I use Surefire Sonic Defenders, in particular I have the EP3 model. (EP4 are the same thing, just for bigger ear canals)

http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/hearing-protection.html

Nice thing is that I can use these on the range, at concerts, etc... 

2 levels of noise blocking... open the filter, and allow lower level noises through, such as normal conversation, but they still mute loud noises.

close the filter, and they run much like the cheap foamies. They sit in the ear-lobe far enough that they are out of the way of things like ear muffs, helmets, etc... 

I have shot everything up to a 454 casull with these, without issue. I ride with the filter closed, as it helps mute the constant wind noise. I also can still hear the bike still, and have no issue with the BT Comm unit either.

I tried 2 sets, never worked. I ended up with custom ones from Big Ear.

http://www.bigearinc.com/

Big Ear's ftw.  3 year warranty for a good set, custom molded and perfect fit.  I also wear mine for everything from shooting, using gas lawn equipment, riding, etc.

Tried the Radians and they were OK. Didn't seem to knock down noise a whole lot and they hardened to an uncomfortable durometer in about a month.

I use Purafit 6800 foam plugs. Good NRR, very pliable and about a quarter a pair.

I got a set made from a local hearing aid place. $80. They took two molds of my ears and sent them out to get made. Took about a week to come in.

I used them at one trackday so far. I am pleased. They performed better than the foam ones for me and i didn't have ringing in my ears afterwards. But i could still notice some 'noise' in my ears once the day was done though.

But this is mostly from my exhaust. When i was using my street bike on the track, i didn't have much issue. The track bike has full arrow exhaust without baffles, it's freaking loud.