Foot Position

Limitedslip7

At the last trackday at Mid-O on the 21st I was having a lot of issues dragging my right toe through the carousel and keyhole. Actually burned through my toe slider (plastic) and a bit into the edge of my boot. I was making a conscious effort to keep my foot as far back as possible. Usually when a toe drags it's just because I was being lazy and pulling it back onto the ball fixes the issue. The peg itself is not touching down. Is this just a result of bad form or should I bite the bullet and get adjustable rearsets (currently on stock 2004 R6)? I do like to use the end of the footpeg to pivot around and I'm not sure how to get away from doing it. 

I was dragging toe on my stock rearsets on my R1. Vortex rearsets were put on and never dragged toe again.

I'm not saying it couldn't be resolved with better body/foot position, but just sharing what i did.

Check out the bottom of your boot....I keep my peg right on the "a".  You can see where it is chewed up from the aggressive vortex tread in the pic below. 

Stand up, then lift your heels off the ground...that is where you should feel the inside peg in a turn. IMHO

I have to say though, I have hit the toe slider on my streetbike with stock rearsets.

20140722_172936.jpg

Check out this vid and some of our other vids on the RD page.  Danny has some of the best footwork we've seen, it's very natural and should help you understand what your feet are supposed to do when riding - 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152634268466178

Sorry it's just a facebook link for now, they'll be uploaded to youtube at a later date. 

Ha, we had 5 on his bike at one point this weekend.  It's a lot of footage to go through!  Expect more videos throughout the next couple weeks... 

- Nathan

Edit: YouTube links of the the first vid above - 

Those are some sweet vids! I'm definitely rotating my foot outward when I'm leaning off of the bike, I think I'll throw the Gopro under my tail like that during the next track day and see if I can't keep it tucked in more like that. 

its a lot easier to get my knee out when I rotate my foot. Heel inward. and I burned through a set of plastic tow sliders... my fix was buying an expensive pair of boots i didnt want to scrape the toe sliders on...made a conscience effort to keep them off the ground went faster with better body position and didnt scrape my toes....

its a lot easier to get my knee out when I rotate my foot. Heel inward. and I burned through a set of plastic tow sliders... my fix was buying an expensive pair of boots i didnt want to scrape the toe sliders on...made a conscience effort to keep them off the ground went faster with better body position and didnt scrape my toes....

It helps not "trying" to get your knee out.  If you work on body position and turning through the corner then it will just come out a little bit on it's own.

Someone should definitely be keeping their toes back on the peg though.  I always do the little "twisty-twist" with my inside foot going into a corner. basically the end of the peg usually is right under my pinky toe.  Doing the little twist move lets you know exactly where your foot is and you can move it by twisting without upsetting the chassis.