Lowering A R6

hasuna

Sorry if i am posting in the wrong area, i searched and couldnt find a answer.

I have a 02 r6, its my first bike. Iv been riding for a couple weeks now and i feel very comfortable with it. The only problem is i have trouble moving the bike around. Im always on my tipy toes. Iron pony says they can lower it for $123.00. I'm looking for answers from people who have personally lowered theyre bikes. Does this effect the bike in a way that will effect me? I dont lean close enough for anything to scrap, i guess. Thank you for any input!

An R6, even a 12 year old one, is a lot of power for a first bike. Be careful.

Lowering a bike will affect the handling.  As you are new to riding and presumably still learning the basics, that might not be an issue for you. 

How tall are you?  You really only need one foot to touch the ground.  I would work on shifting a bit to one side and getting comfortable on one foot before I went through the trouble of lowering the bike.   

Edited by Tpoppa

Im about 5' 9''. When coming to a stop in traffic or lights i usually just put one foot down. When im pulling out of a parking spot, my garage or anything of that nature its a real pain in the ass. The way i have to park my bike makes be have to back it out about 30 feet.

Like TPoppa said, you're too new for the handling effects to matter much.  Basically (no offense intended by this comment) you're limiting the bike more than the suspension drop will.

Dropping the forks in the triple clamps is extremely easy.  Installing longer suspension links would be the proper way to lower the rear to match.  I don't know what the links themselves would cost, but the whole job should take an hour... 

If the shop is including parts, and charging $75/hour for labor, $123.00 sounds a little high to me, but not totally unreasonable.  If you buy the parts yourself, I'm sure there are a bunch of people local to you who would help you lower the bike for free. 

Especially if the bike has a center stand, this is a VERY easy job.  I could do it in my garage in less than an hour even with beer-drinking breaks...

Edited by redkow97

Only way to lower it is to put a lowering link in the rear suspension and either install shortened springs in the forks or pop the fork legs up through the triples a bit. Lowering link should cost $25. I'll put it on for $50.

But it would be better for you to work on your balance. I can free - wheel my 500 lb bandit backwards out of my garage and down my driveway easily. My old fzr 600 was even easier.

I am 5'8" and have no problem backing my bike out of anywhere. If nothing else get off the bike and walk it back if needed. I would never lower any of my bikes unless it is in fact a safety issue. You being 5'9" should have no problem with this task.

Save the monies, get off and walk it around.  How much time do you spend with your feet on the pegs riding vs how much time your feet are (or trying) to be on the ground?  The bike's geometry should not be dramatically changed, in my opinion. 

- Nathan

Wife is 5'3" and peg legs it every where she goes on a 848 and 600rr.. don't mess with the geometry it will make it harder to turn and more.. just learn to get comfy on one foot.. btw.. I an barely 5'10" with zero issues getting off the bike and walking it to park

Edited by TwiztedRabbit

Crazy weird responses here...

Changing the ride height of any bike causes issues in terms of handling.  As mentioned, you may not be up to task to have issue with the handling change, but consider this.  The effects of lowering a bike can cause handling issues and if a new rider, issues that may be tough to handle.  Food for thought.

Also, $123 is cheap.  I cannot find a set of links for an R6 for $25.  Not sure who can make such things, but there is no way a shop is going to charge you $50 parts/install and do it right.

I have a friend who has a current R6 and lowered it.  Had a guy do it and he didn't do it right.  Three things need done.  Lowering link is not just it.  If lowering link, you need to lower the front (Raise forks or shorten - shorten is harder to revert back when selling), and you need to shorten the kickstand.  Now, if someone is offering you $25 for the linkage and do the other two things for $50, I'd jump on it straight away.  Then take to a certified tech and have gone through...  No way you can get it done parts and all for $50...  No way someone on here is doing all that in one hour so, be careful who you take it to...

I am with Midget as I discourage lowering bikes.  But, a lot of people aren't riding these bikes as intended and lowering isn't going to cause a lot of issues.  I suggest avoiding it.  But, what do I know?

Ok, so they're $30. I guessed.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=281370818350&alt=web

except for shortening the kickstand, lowering the bike is pretty simple...rear is 2 bolts, front is 4. Longest part is dropping the lower plastics to get it on the lift. I've reversed the process before in an hour and change. I charge $50 / hour labor and give ORDN members a break.as far as the kickstand, I'm sure I could figure something out, bend the lug out a little, find a stand off a different bike that would work....I'm pretty good.

It's way more expensive than $123.

Whenever you lower a bike it's required that you buy a flat bill hat to wear backwards, a designer tank top, white flip flops, white oakleys, a white watch and white book bag to ride with. All that stuff is expensive! LED light kits are optional, but strongly encouraged.

• Upvote 4

It's way more expensive than $123.

Whenever you lower a bike it's required that you buy a flat bill hat to wear backwards, a designer tank top, white flip flops, white oakleys, a white watch and white book bag to ride with. All that stuff is expensive! LED light kits are optional, but strongly encouraged.

Winning

^^LOL.

I guess I dont understand the thought-process behind buying one of the most tractable and best-handling 2-wheeled machines to ever roll off a production line, then turn around and start neutering features integral to said scalpel-like handling.

Not winning

• Upvote 1

I am 5'8" and have no problem backing my bike out of anywhere. If nothing else get off the bike and walk it back if needed. I would never lower any of my bikes unless it is in fact a safety issue. You being 5'9" should have no problem with this task.

maybe you weigh more;)
  • Upvote 1

My .02... I am 5' ( on a good day) I lowered and raised my bike. It feels completely different when riding. I raised it up for many reasons, mainly due to how it handles.

Brian is right you need to change all three, roaring toyz sells a kit and so does Brock's Performance.

To avoid lowering try the following, buy riding boots/shoes with a thick sole then insert gel insoles ( I use 2 one full one heel only, stacked) this added a good 1.5-2.0" to my height.

Good luck and watch for low spots on the road.

Edited by snot

Ok, so they're $30. I guessed.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=281370818350&alt=web

except for shortening the kickstand, lowering the bike is pretty simple...rear is 2 bolts, front is 4. Longest part is dropping the lower plastics to get it on the lift. I've reversed the process before in an hour and change. I charge $50 / hour labor and give ORDN members a break.as far as the kickstand, I'm sure I could figure something out, bend the lug out a little, find a stand off a different bike that would work....I'm pretty good.

Do whatever you need to do. You can't lower that bike in an hour, cut and weld the kickstand, etc. for $50. Maybe you can. Bending the kickstand is a very bad idea. Also not sure how you are lifting a motorcycle that has exhaust under it without damaging that. Maybe it's possible.

All I'm saying is that if a reputable shop quotes $123 and $30 (probably more) for reputable links like Vortex (@ $50), they are charging an hour to do it. But I'm certain you aren't getting the kickstand addressed and possibly not the front.

Whatever the OP chooses, just understand the term balance.