Titling a bike from out of State

Josh1234

Hopefully, I'll be getting a new (to me) bike tomorrow, but it's currently titled in PA.  Anything I need to know about getting it moved over to Ohio, or just business as usual?

Edited by Josh1234

I bought my Husky from PA and it's the usual process assuming the title is IGO. You need to go to the license bureau and get an out of state inspection (VIN # and mileage). This is < $5. Then go to the title agency and get the title transferred to you & pay the tax. Then head to the license bureau again to get your plates.

I bought my F2 from a guy in PA or Maryland... I can't recall which, because we met in WV for the transaction.

In any case, the "VIN inspection" is a joke.  I had the bike in the bed of my truck, and the BMV worker didn't want to climb up there to read it, so she just asked me to read it to her.  I could have easily lied and gotten it an Ohio title with the incorrect VIN.  I don't know how it would benefit me to have a title transferred for the wrong bike, but my point is that they're not exactly thorough.

the hardest part is figuring out which office you need to stand in line at to get the inspection done. 

Sweet. I should be meeting him at 3, so hopefully, it won't rain tomorrow and I can check out the bike and go straight to the title burea & BMV.  

I need to do some hunting on oPlates.com and find a good vanity plate.  My last one was "04 CAT" but I guess I can't cross a Thundercat with a Ninja :)

Ooh, and I should probably come up with a decent bill of sale today, since the seller said it would make him more comfortable.

I bought my F2 from a guy in PA or Maryland... I can't recall which, because we met in WV for the transaction.

In any case, the "VIN inspection" is a joke.  I had the bike in the bed of my truck, and the BMV worker didn't want to climb up there to read it, so she just asked me to read it to her.  I could have easily lied and gotten it an Ohio title with the incorrect VIN.  I don't know how it would benefit me to have a title transferred for the wrong bike, but my point is that they're not exactly thorough.

the hardest part is figuring out which office you need to stand in line at to get the inspection done. 

I had that happen before too...I read off the VIN and she checked it.

It's definitely the license bureau NOT the title agency that does the OOS inspection like you would expect. I know this because I titled my DRZ last week and stood in line for 45 mins at the title agency to have them tell me to go to the license bureau.

wouldn't a dealership also charge a fee?  I doubt I could just ride in and have one done by a random salesperson out of the kindness of their heart.

We're meeting at about 3, so I hope my bank has a notary on-hand.  That's usually either free or $2.  It'd make the seller more comfortable.  I have a friend who rides who's a notary, so he can always hook me up later if need be.

You should ask the guy to have it notarized before you meet. No need for both to be there. Not sure why he wants a bill of sale..... He has money....you have bike and notarized title. Who would ever want to see a bill of sale? His wife?

Lots of people want a bill of sale.  That way if I use the bike in a bank robbery and then dump it, he has a piece of paper to fall back on saying it's not his bike anymore.  Shrug.  I did point out that he'd have the cash in his hand, but w/e, I'm happy to "do it right."

As for having the title notarized, I think that both parties are supposed to be present... the notary is basically signing that the bike is passing from one person to another... Not sure how that could happen if he has it notarized before even coming to see me :)

I'm hoping it doesn't rain when he gets here, around 3 :(  Or that he doesn't cancel at all.  Or that he doesn't change his mind, or that the bike doesn't fall over in the trailer, etc etc.

A million and one things to go wrong, of course.

Only the person whose name is on the title and the notary need to be present at the time it is notarized. The buyer's presence is not required.

The notary is witnessing that it was indeed the buyer that signed the title, preventing fraud by someone stealing the bike/title and forging the signature.

Edited by ScubaCinci

i 2nd hitting up the dealership for the inspection.  When i head to the bmv the last thing I want to do is wait in line twice. get the inspection, go to title office, then bmv office(i always go to combined ones) and you are in and out. it's a bonus if it's a non notary state :)