GPS Advice, mounts, bluetooth devices, etc. What do you know?

JackFlash

Okay.  It's time for me to consider a GPS device.  I currently get on Google maps

and write on paper the roads I want to travel.  It's a long and drawn out process,

writing the direction to turn, how far to the next turn, the names of towns/villages

to look for, and the route numbers, i.e. OH-555, etc.  Then I put my directions in

the map pocket of my tank bag and refer to them at each turn of my route.  Some

days there is more than one page of directions.  I can only get all of this information

from my home computer.  What if I want to change my route in the middle of my

ride? 

Yesterday I sat at a picnic shelter mapping out a route with my smart phone.

I couldn't get the distance between points, and on my ride I never knew how far

away the next turn was.  So, I rode until the route appeared.  It was not a good

feeling not knowing how far I had to ride until the next turn, in places that were

unfamiliar to me.

Also, I have to calculate what my mileage reading will be at the next turn.  Sometimes

I'm off by two or three miles and have to second guess myself, which is a little

uncomfortable out there in nowhere land when daylight moves to the other side

of the earth.  Plus, I can't see my directions in the dark.  I'm ready for a better way.

I've tried looking through reviews and all that.  What I've determined is that everything

out there is junk and customer service sucks.  Yes, I read the lower rated reviews.

I want to know what kind of problems I can have for the money I'm going to spend.

Tell me what works for you.

1. What is the best motorcycle GPS unit short of the $800 BMW type?  I don't want to spend anything close to that.
  2. How do you mount your device?  Are you happy with that setup?
  3. What do you use to hear your device talk to you?  I have a bluetooth earpiece for my phone.  I can't wear it with a helmet.
  4. What bells and whistles do you have with your device?  XM radio?  Weather radio?  FM radio?  Other goodies?
  5. What do you not like about the device you have?  Can you see the display in the bright sunlight?
  6. What about riding in the rain?  Is it weather proof?
  7. What did I not know to ask?  What else can you tell me.

Consumer Reports, Consumer Digest, and all those other reviewers never ask the

questions I want the answers to.  So, I'm asking those who know.  I'm asking you.

Thanks for all your input.

Edited by JackFlash

Tell me what works for you.

1. What is the best motorcycle GPS unit short of the $800 BMW type?  I don't want to spend anything close to that.
  2. How do you mount your device?  Are you happy with that setup?
  3. What do you use to hear your device talk to you?  I have a bluetooth earpiece for my phone.  I can't wear it with a helmet.
  4. What bells and whistles do you have with your device?  XM radio?  Weather radio?  FM radio?  Other goodies?
  5. What do you not like about the device you have?  Can you see the display in the bright sunlight?
  6. What about riding in the rain?  Is it weather proof?
  7. What did I not know to ask?  What else can you tell me.

I'd look around for a used Garmin Street Pilot 2610 or 2720 (see: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-StreetPilot-2720-Portable-Navigator/dp/B000A5T7AO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402996642&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+2720) . These things were the shit a couple of years ago and still work very well. They're waterproof and unlike most newer Garmin products, they had most of the bugs worked out before Garmin released them. They were far from cheap when new.

The screen isn't huge but it's easily readable when mounted on a bike. Touch screen is easy to use, too. 

I have two of them - one that I bought new and one that I bought used. Both still work great and you'll most likely get a copy of the mapping software with the unit. Map out your routes on a PC and then load into the unit. Or, you can map it out on the unit as well on the fly.

Mount: I used RAM balls and arms. Cheap, vibration free and work great. See: http://www.rammount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/tabid/128/Default.aspx  They even make a cradle specific for the Garmin 2720.

I don't; use any bluetooth or speakers in my helmet - just pay attention.

It's plenty bright enough to see in direct sunlight, so no worries there.

Bets part is the price - at $50 or so, if you get 1-2 years out of it and it craps out; you're not out big $$. A lot of the new Garmin stuff seems to act like a beta version - it never works 100% right and has to be constantly updated. The slightly older units are proven to work well. They shouldn't have gotten rid of them.

• Upvote 1

• ...and unlike most newer Garmin products, they had most of the bugs worked out before Garmin released them.
  •  Map out your routes on a PC and then load into the unit. Or, you can map it out on the unit as well on the fly.
  • A lot of the new Garmin stuff seems to act like a beta version - it never works 100% right and has to be constantly updated.

These were some of the issues I read about.  The newer units are buggy

and the customer service sucks.  Routes mapped on a PC didn't "take"

on the device, and neither did the ones mapped out on the fly.  The device

would override your choices.  I don't want to be the beta tester for these

companies for what these things cost.  And I don't want to be on hold for

customer service for an ungodly amount of time only to find that their 

solution is for me to package the whole thing up and send it back to them.

I forgot to ask about using them with gloved hands, and screen sizes. 

A larger screen would be nice to have.

Hi Jack,

• Preamble: I'm in transition with my own setup and am asking the same questions that you are.  There are a lot of archives in the ADVRider and Stromtrooper forums but it seems they're sort of old within several months because technology is moving so fast...
  • My tools: Currently I'm using an iPhone 5 with Google Maps and I'm also trying out the 30-day trial version of TomTom's app.  My iPhone is paired with a Cardo Scala Q2 bluetooth communicator.  When I'm 2-up, my girlfriend and I chat using the Q2 sets.
  • What I like about my current rig: The cost for this setup was very low - I already owned the phone, Google Maps is free (TomTom is $29) and a pair of Q2 sets were just over $200 at the time. They work pretty well.  I can tap a button to answer a call, tell Siri to make a call and even read or squirt out a text message while I'm stopped without having to take off my gloves.  The intercom works on the same bike and even several hundred feet away between bikes when she's riding her scooter.  It has been fantastic for sharing where we want to go, and especially me giving her riding tips while she learns.  As for GPS functions, Google Maps works well enough and provides turn-by-turn directions whenever I'm in cell data range.  I do have a handlebar mount and a waterproof case for the phone to see the map on cloudy days.  TomTom's app is even better and offers "winding roads" route options that work pretty darned well.  Both will break in on a conversation when a turn is coming up, yet will allow a call to override both.  I can hear everything in my helmet and even when I'm wearing earplugs.  I can even stream music from my iPhone to the paddle speakers, though bass response isn't very good.
  • What I DON'T like about my current rig: My phone gets too hot in the case and it's hard to see the screen when it's sunny, so I usually keep it in my pocket and just follow spoken directions, which works well for easy routes, but isn't ideal.  My Cardo Q2 sets don't pair easily with the Sena 10 sets that most others seem to have, so I'm thinking about getting a single "20S" when it comes out, then pairing it with my GF's Q2 so I can easily join other groups of riders.  If you don't already have a bluetooth communicator, I highly recommend getting the Sena 10 or 20S for that reason alone.  The iPhone's Google Maps and TomTom apps are cheap but they need data services for most of their functions, and I bought an adventure bike for a reason - to sometimes get away from civilization.  I'd prefer to have a GPS solution that doesn't NEED cellular data.  The Q2 doesn't have an earbud jack, which would be nice when I want high-fidelity music while I ride (I've been thinking about making my own custom set of earplug/earbuds), whereas the Sena 20S does.  I don't use the FM radio feature of the Q2 - it's pretty lame.
  • What I'm thinking about moving to: I'm pretty sure I'll get a Sena 20S to replace one of my Q2 sets.  I'm also fairly certain I'll get a dedicated GPS unit, and I'm waffling between a TomTom Rider for $340, a Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT for $150 or an older StreetPilot.  There's no way I'm putting $800 or even $600 into a mobile GPS.  I'll mount it on a RAM ball just above my dash, and if it's a Nuvi, I'll slide a plastic bag over it whenever I need to ride in the rain.

Scott

If you want cheap just get a ram mount x-grip for your phone and use Google navigation with some ear buds. If you want a cheap way to charge it on the fly get a usb adapter for your battery tender led. As far as water proof goes just keep a couple zip lock sandwich bags handy. You can do all that for around $60 on Amazon

If you want cheap just get a ram mount x-grip for your phone and use Google navigation with some ear buds. If you want a cheap way to charge it on the fly get a usb adapter for your battery tender led. As far as water proof goes just keep a couple zip lock sandwich bags handy. You can do all that for around $60 on Amazon

I want to plot my desired route out on the road, like

I do on Google Maps when I drag the route to the

path I desire.  I can't do that with the app I have.

I do need a mount and a bluetooth

device.  I usually charge my phone via USB while

riding.  I'll try using my navigation app in the car

with my Jawbone bluetooth to see if I can hear it

talk to me.

I want to plot my desired route out on the road, like

I do on Google Maps when I drag the route to the

path I desire. I can't do that with the app I have.

I do need a mount and a bluetooth

device. I usually charge my phone via USB while

riding. I'll try using my navigation app in the car

with my Jawbone bluetooth to see if I can hear it

talk to me.

Tonik had app like that(I think) don't remember what it was called

Old garmin 765 on eBay $40

Ram mount and cradle $40ish

Powerlet cord specific for garmin $15ish

2 longer bolts for the front tank bolts $5

This is what I have in my set up and I can pre plan routes using mapquest

DD9B4B0D-42E9-4AC1-97F2-09478F286964_zps

543D306C-88FE-4916-90E3-CA6B5CD93D6B_zps

Edited by Bad324

For those of you using phones, Sygic for Android and Iphone is the best way to go. It ran the SoreButtaPaloza flawlessly.  Easy to convert and import from Google maps waypoints and all. All the maps sit on your phone so you don't need data. Can't say enough about how awesome it is.  I just mount my phone to my handlebars with a ram mount and keep a giant ziplock baggie in my pocket for sudden rain.

I just use a crappy Tomtom One that cost me $25 on eBay.  The mount is a sheet of plate aluminum that I cut and drilled.  it's sandwiched between my upper triple-clamp and the riser plate for my bars.  Then I just drilled and bolted the standard suction-cup mount for the Tomtom, and safety wired the GPS unit itself to the bracket (just in case).

I would do it slightly differently knowing what I know now, but it's not a bad setup.  My only complaint is that the speed display is very small, and I use that as my sole speedometer.  But that's my fault for being cheap.

if it rains, I either stick it in my pocket, or throw a zip-lock bag over it.

Edited by redkow97

The latest TomTom Rider will be my next unit, and I currently have "3" Garmin 2720's. :)

Ouch!  That thing is 400 macaronies.

Looks like a great unit.  And, I suppose,

I only need one.  Hmmm......

Edited by JackFlash

I have oldschool gear.  Garmin streetpilot III.  When the maps are preloaded it doesn't work so bad.  Directions are good and the screen is easy to see.  First gen color, sorry but not touchscreen yet.  If the mapping fails (10% of the time) you might as well have a paper map. On the fly mapping will get you back to a destination but being the data card for the maps is from 2008 some of the waypoints and places listed can be out of date.  I have a "Ram" mount bolted into the bar riser.  I think I have $80-90 into it. 

IMAG0312.jpg

You can buy a used large screen phone for next to nothing, then 33 bucks for the app I mentioned previously. Don't activate the phone, just use it on wifi to get the maps downloaded and to transfer your pre plotted routes. When the phone dies you just buy another and transfer the map app.

Use half of the money to buy yourself hookers and blow. The other half you send to me and I will spend it on hookers and blow.

Win, Win.

• Upvote 3

You can buy a used large screen phone for next to nothing, then 33 bucks for the app I mentioned previously. Don't activate the phone, just use it on wifi to get the maps downloaded and to transfer your pre plotted routes. When the phone dies you just buy another and transfer the map app.

Use half of the money to buy yourself hookers and blow. The other half you send to me and I will spend it on hookers and blow.

Win, Win.

I had thought of that being I have my old HTC thunderbolt just sitting in a drawer.  Problem is I can't see the screen in daylight and if it sat in the sun while riding it would overheat and shut down. :(

The latest TomTom Rider will be my next unit, and I currently have "3" Garmin 2720's. :)

Brian, I might be headed the TomTom Rider route as well.  Why?  Well, I picked up a Nuvi 2597LMT for half its price this week and tried it out in the car - everything went great, the speaker was plenty loud to not need to be bound to my car's audio, and I rather enjoyed voice commands and most of its routing decisions.  Traffic representation kinda sucked, but everything else seemed pretty smart.  I even ordered a specialized RAM cradle.

Alas, I tried it on the bike in the garage tonight and guess what - it doesn't support Bluetooth speaker/headset functionality!  Total deal-killer - I'll never hear the speaker at highway speed wearing a helmet and earplugs.  It's going back to Microcenter tomorrow.

Anyone want a free Nuvi 2557/2577/2597 RAM cradle?

Scott

I've rode without too many years. I don't really need help that much. That and I can't see the display all that well anymore. So it's a refurb TomTom 30 from newegg for me for 30 bucks. Nice motorcycle mount from mountguys.com. If it rains, I put it away. All I want to see is that turn arrow and countdown. I do one destination at a time, no routes and waypoints. If I want more, I mount up the phone and use Waze for alerts and preferred as a primary in the Jeep. Figured out how to tether a mounted 7 inch tablet (not on the bike) and run maps on that instead. I will check out Tonik's Sygic.

What I like about the TomTom is that it seldom glitches or needs a reboot. Unlike Waze that decides to reinstall in the middle of the night in the high mountains of Tennessee.

Mostly when I ride it's without any plans, I just wander and explore the old fashioned way. When it gets late, I go home. That's when the navigation is nice to have.

notes: most navigation needs to be mounted somewhat vertical. Running one in a tankbag window usually won't work. The display will keep flipping around trying to comply with movement. One thing I don't like about waypoints is that if you miss one even by one block, your device wants you to go back there, until it gets past the halfway point to the next waypoint. So I don't use them. No, I never got familiar with cancelling a missed waypoint. I just want a smart map, dammit.

I just would like a solution where I can create custom routes and have the navigation talk me through them. I already have the Ram Mount setup (after having to disassemble half my front end to get it installed). I want to concentrate on the ride instead of trying to figure out where the next turn is.

• 3 months later...

I have an iphone 5s, with a liveproof case, and a lifeproof handlebar mount. Both are waterproof. I have the Scala rider Q3 headset, and it hooks up to the phone via bluetooth. I run the Waze gps app, not only for directions, but to have a warning for police and road hazards.

Sorry for the thread revival, but I just came across this, and my setup has been flawless. I don't have to do anything if I get caught in the rain.

Brian, I might be headed the TomTom Rider route as well.  Why?  Well, I picked up a Nuvi 2597LMT for half its price this week and tried it out in the car - everything went great, the speaker was plenty loud to not need to be bound to my car's audio, and I rather enjoyed voice commands and most of its routing decisions.  Traffic representation kinda sucked, but everything else seemed pretty smart.  I even ordered a specialized RAM cradle.

Alas, I tried it on the bike in the garage tonight and guess what - it doesn't support Bluetooth speaker/headset functionality!  Total deal-killer - I'll never hear the speaker at highway speed wearing a helmet and earplugs.  It's going back to Microcenter tomorrow.

Anyone want a free Nuvi 2557/2577/2597 RAM cradle?

Scott

Hrm, my mom has an old Garmin Nuvi that came out of my stepdad's mini cooper. Wonder what model it is... It's just sitting in the basement, right now.

Ultimate Solution:

I have my Galaxy Note 3 mounted with a Ram Mount with X-Grip.

I use the app: CoPilot Live.  Maps are stored on the phone so losing cell coverage doesn't matter.  Gives you turn by turn voice navigation as well as allows you to add waypoints with a drag option like google maps.  you can save your route/trip for later use and edit on the fly.

I pair this with a Bluetooth Earbud style headphones.  LG Tone Plus: http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headset/dp/B00FO0IHMY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1411699678&sr=8-4&keywords=lg+tone+plus

This fits under the helmet and you don't fiddle with cords.

I stream music from Milk Music and the navigation directions interrupt my music temporarily.

I use my Battery Tender terminal leads and connect to a USB adapter mounted on my clip on for power.

I have switched bikes several times over the last several years, usually putting 10-20k miles on them, then trading for something else. My Garmin 660 and Touratech mount have made the switch each time requiring little more than hooking up the power lead. Although a bigger investment, the motorcycle specific stuff gets used over and over again, and I feel that it has been worth the initial investment and has stood up well to weather, vibration and my constant tinkering. Just wanted to offer an alternative view point.