WTB: Used SUV

Bad324

Figured I'd get a jump on this now so when July rolls around I'll have an idea of what I'll be getting as a new DD and I'd rather start here than deal with craigslist or a dealer at the moment and help a member sell something if its what I'm looking for

I'm looking for a used SUV that meets this criteria:

*Under $23k

*Under 60,000 miles

*Has a sunroof/moonroof

*Prefer AWD or 4WD but not a must

*Prefer over 20mpg

Some examples of what I've seen in my range and like: GMC Terrain, BMW X3, Ford Explorer

Edited by Bad324

I don't think you're going to get the mileage desired from many of the models you listed.  Maybe the CTS and the 3 series.  Maybe someone on Fuelly is reporting those numbers for their Explorer and Terrain, but in real-world driving, I think it's unlikely.

For a small 4wd SUV, look at 2009-2012 Ford Escapes.  My sister-in-law had a 2012 "limited" with 4wd that would pull close to 30mpg on the highway.  I assume it got 26ish in combined driving.  It felt a bit loud when you really stomped on the gas, but that kept me from driving like an a-hole.  Otherwise it was a nice car.  The interior had nice features, and I think the last generation looked more manly than the current Tucson copy.

I believe it would pull a small trailer and 1 bike.  Maybe 2, but you're probably pushing what the brakes would handle at that point.

I don't think you're going to get the mileage desired from many of the models you listed.  Maybe the CTS and the 3 series.  Maybe someone on Fuelly is reporting those numbers for their Explorer and Terrain, but in real-world driving, I think it's unlikely.

For a small 4wd SUV, look at 2009-2012 Ford Escapes.  My sister-in-law had a 2012 "limited" with 4wd that would pull close to 30mpg on the highway.  I assume it got 26ish in combined driving.  It felt a bit loud when you really stomped on the gas, but that kept me from driving like an a-hole.  Otherwise it was a nice car.  The interior had nice features, and I think the last generation looked more manly than the current Tucson copy.

I believe it would pull a small trailer and 1 bike.  Maybe 2, but you're probably pushing what the brakes would handle at that point.

The gas mileage is more of a wish than a must really and the list I have fits close enough. The Terrain so far is my winner for SUV but I've yet to drive the 4cyl, only the 6. As far as towing goes, I don't really care all that much to have more than a HF trailer and my bike on it as I don't think I'd do much towing anymore anyhow

• 3 weeks later...

Tpoppa. What kind of driving do you do. My GF is driving her dad's flex till she decides what she wants. She gets about 21 with about 75% in town. We have gotta. As much as 26 on the hwy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephanie just bought a new Frontier and she's selling her Ford Escape Ecoboost. She's on here as Ninjagirl, or something like that. She has the FZ9 that Hoblick reworked. She towed my trailer and two sportbikes to DG last fall without any issues.

Our ecoboost escape is a nice casual car... 30mpg too... But it has no soul, it's just transportation

I'll be putting my suburban up for sale in 2 weeks when we get home from vacation. Under $10k. 83k miles and super clean.

If it was a Tahoe id be all over it but Suburban is about as big as my truck and Ive grown tired of such a large vehicle

Our ecoboost escape is a nice casual car... 30mpg too... But it has no soul, it's just transportation

At this point that's pretty much what I'm looking for, just transportation. I'm still holding out to pick up a used C7 in a year or 2 which is why I've pretty much scrapped my new/newer car thoughts

soulless cars can be useful.  My car is "beige" in every sense of the word, but it keeps me from mashing the gas, or otherwise driving with any "spirit."  I have a bike so that I don't go nuts owning a utilitarian car.  I used to joke that I had to keep my ranger so that my EX500 would still feel fast.  Wasn't too far from the truth though.

• 2 weeks later...

soulless cars can be useful.  My car is "beige" in every sense of the word, but it keeps me from mashing the gas, or otherwise driving with any "spirit."  I have a bike so that I don't go nuts owning a utilitarian car.  I used to joke that I had to keep my Kia Soul so that my EX500 would still feel fast.  Wasn't too far from the truth though.

FTFY.

Oh goodie another option has a popped up for me '06 Pilot with 77k miles for $8k

If you don't want that, I am interested. 

for a human that is under 20 lbs., my daughter requires a lot of fucking accessories. 

Pilots are nice and reliable. That's a hell of a deal though. That cheap, too cheap my guess would be it was a flood car.

I have a Pilot and love it. I agree though the price seems way low for that mileage. I would at least check it out. It was a good year for those. Mileage is about 20 with mixed driving.