FZ-09?

blueskeyes

Does anyone have any experience with this bike? I currently own a ZRX1100 and was looking to trade into an FZ-09 to fill my commuter and touring needs. Just something a little more modern and I love the sound of a three cylinder. my ZRX is still stock (I know) so the extra power and weight would definitely be plusses in the FZ-09 column. Any help is appreciated.

Hell of a bike, IMHO.  It's got its warts (fueling glitches, budget suspension, a couple goofy finishing touches) but at this price, that's expected.  The only trouble is, once you've spent the cash to fix the issues, you're where you would have been with a new, non-current FZ1.

I'd take a Fz1 over this any day.. But only if I could find a euro headlight and make it naked... Fz09 is a great bike at a great price... But people on the Internet are making it out to be the next generation of motorcycle awesomeness.. I just don't see it myself... For the price? Absolutely. But price not a factor, this thing doesn't hold a candle to a lot of bikes on the market... I don't understand the hype.. Maybe because I already own a naked, so it's just a smaller version of what I have, maybe that's why I'm not so excited about it like most of you guys.. Just don't see it though... If I had 8k I'd be looking at an many other bikes used before a new one of these.. If new is your thing, and you have a budget, of course the fz09 warrants consideration, but I see people downgrading nicer bikes to these and it baffles me

I'd take a Fz1 over this any day.. But only if I could find a euro headlight and make it naked... Fz09 is a great bike at a great price... But people on the Internet are making it out to be the next generation of motorcycle awesomeness.. I just don't see it myself... For the price? Absolutely. But price not a factor, this thing doesn't hold a candle to a lot of bikes on the market... I don't understand the hype.. Maybe because I already own a naked, so it's just a smaller version of what I have, maybe that's why I'm not so excited about it like most of you guys.. Just don't see it though... If I had 8k I'd be looking at an many other bikes used before a new one of these.. If new is your thing, and you have a budget, of course the fz09 warrants consideration, but I see people downgrading nicer bikes to these and it baffles me

It's different. Most people who wouldn't have bought a triumph can now get into a triple.

Sounds interesting. I like my ZRX but it doesn't quite get enough "love" recently due to its Tuono stable mate. I have heard about the negatives in regard to the suspension and fueling. I just would like to try one out and none of the dealers around here have one available to test ride. I like Yamaha products and almost bought an FZ1 until I found the Tuono. I currently put the most miles per year on the Tuono but man does it love the fuel. Just looking for something fun, easy to do longer distances on and gets decent gas mileage.

Or another stupid idea that one of my co-workers put in my brain...WR250R?

that is not at all a stupid idea - that is probably a ton of fun, and also about the furthest thing from your ZRX.  In my book, that increases its stock as a second bike.  Having 2 similar bikes makes less sense than having 2 very different bikes.  Opens up your options.

200-400cc enduro style bikes are killer fun, and seem to be pretty indestructible.  I'm really trying to convince my wife that I should buy one for her to ride, and then I can completely monopolize it.

• 1 month later...

I just purchased one two weeks ago and love it. I have owned at least 10 bikes and this is by far my favorite. 1000 miles in and I dont have anything bad to say about it so far. As for the reviews they hold some truth. The suspension could be stiffer and the throttle is touchy. The throttle is something that you can get used to. The suspension is setup for for around town type of riding more than racing. If you plan on racing it I would say a suspension upgrade is needed but for normal and weekend twisties this bike is amazing