AT&T picks Cleveland over Columbus for new high speed internet?

Casper

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/22/tech/web/att-fiber-networks/index.html

The metropolitan areas being considered are: Atlanta; Augusta, Georgia; Charlotte, North Carolina; Chicago; Cleveland; Fort Worth, Texas; Fort Lauderdale, Florida; Greensboro, North Carolina; Houston; Jacksonville, Florida; Kansas City, Kansas; Los Angeles; Miami; Nashville; Oakland, California; Orlando, Florida; San Antonio, Texas; San Diego; St. Louis; San Francisco, and San Jose.

Cleveland!? :nono:

The 20 cities announced were only the first round. We are looking at up to 100 cities. We have already put a large investment in the central Ohio area with the build out related to U-verse. I would imagine Columbus will be included in future phases.

The 20 cities announced were only the first round. We are looking at up to 100 cities. We have already put a large investment in the central Ohio area with the build out related to U-verse. I would imagine Columbus will be included in future phases.

Ah, I read it as 100 cities in those listed metropolitan areas. 

Makes no sense to me at all, last I checked Northern Ohio is not thriving at all. Columbus is the beating heart of the state, with Cincinnati being right there as well. As far as the AT&T Uverse goes, I have it and am really impressed so far. Very easy to use, best pic quality I have seen, on demand works flawlessly, and the entire service is just plain fast and efficient. Also my service has been stellar, had 2 techs here within an hour of the last time I called in for service, and they replaced the equipment with "new" not used or reconditioned crap. 

Makes no sense to me at all, last I checked Northern Ohio is not thriving at all. Columbus is the beating heart of the state, with Cincinnati being right there as well. As far as the AT&T Uverse goes, I have it and am really impressed so far. Very easy to use, best pic quality I have seen, on demand works flawlessly, and the entire service is just plain fast and efficient. Also my service has been stellar, had 2 techs here within an hour of the last time I called in for service, and they replaced the equipment with "new" not used or reconditioned crap. 

Ohio Riders is hosted on UVerse in my basement. Does a pretty damn good job. 

So how many of you think you need 1GB to your house?

As as consultant that works from his home, I definitely do.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to downloaded a clients database which even exported and compressed was over 10GB in size. Uploading VM's for other consultants assisting with a project...there's 40-70GB.  The more bandwidth I have the faster I get stuff done.

Edited by r1crusher

Ive actually been uber happy with Uverse and ATT cable, well until we cut cable.  But even that was painless, which was key because I wasn't going to not cut it, so it was nice to not have them try to sell me on everything.  Instead they actually upped my internet speed to double for the same price for a year, which was nice.  Then I was able to schedule the hookup and transfer to our new house all online, which I also loved.

In the end Time Warner was by far the worst company I've ever dealt with in regards to Cable and Internet.  Road Runner was constantly jacked up, and their cable was way more than ATT, plus slower, and couldn't record as many shows at once.

We're only keeping Netflix, Roku's, and wireless internet at the new house, and both of us have found plenty to watch on free TV and Roku.  Actually probably buying a bigger/newer SmartTV in LED style for the new place as I want to upgrade the living room and move the current tv to the basement as 2 of the 3 HDMI's are not working 100%.  Then again it's 8 years old, so I am over it anyways forf a 500.00 TV. 

As as consultant that works from his home, I definitely do.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to downloaded a clients database which even exported and compressed was over 10GB in size. Uploading VM's for other consultants assisting with a project...there's 40-70GB. The more bandwidth I have the faster I get stuff done.

Ditto.

ah someone is still stuck in decade old thoughts! It's ok, we can't all be right all the time

Never realized it was just me that still thinks that. ;) An awful lot of folks relocating down to Central Ohio from the North, but I wish nothing but the best for Cleveland and the surrounding areas to bounce back.  :cool:

ah someone is still stuck in decade old thoughts! It's ok, we can't all be right all the time

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2013/03/census_estimates_show_greater.html

Sorry man. Population is still declining. That's not the sign of a thriving metropolis. 

If we're talking population then yea sure it's declining but I'm talking businesses, restaurants, hotels, things of that nature have been thriving and growing for sure. Downtown living is becoming popular again, houses around me at least are on the market for an average of 30 days or so

Everyone can make the Cleveland joke becauSe it's easy. Nobody bothers to actually experience it for themselves and realize what a Midwest gem it actually is