Home Surveillance system setup tips needed

redbarron77

They're pretty self explanitory. Mount your cameras, run your cables, hook up to monitor. If cameras are easily reached from the ground I recommend using some pvc pipe as conduit so they can't cut the wires. They make other wide flat conduits to hide the wires where they run to the monitor.

Ok, that's how I plan to do mine. A few things to consider: how much time are you going to spend manipulating the system and how much monitoring it? How easy is your attic access?

If you're just gonna throw it on loop record and check it if something turns up broken or missing, I'd keep the entire system in the attic. If you want to be able to view it from say, a tv in an upstairs room but don't plan on doing a lot of rewinding etc, I'd keep the dvr in the attic and split the video feed to a monitor up there and then drop a feed into that room. If you plan on constantly panning tilting zooming and rewinding then run all the camera cables down into a room and keep the dvr there.

"700 TV Lines" in the camera is misleading. NTSC only allows 525 scan lines.

How many frames per second per camera? The best systems are 30fps per camera. Cheaper systems will quote 30, 60 etc but that is system wide. 30fps on an 8 camera system would be 3-4fps per camera.

the one day sale I was able to get had it priced at $399.

Once it is setup, I'll try to get some real-time video uploaded to show the screen resolution/performance.

Who knows, maybe I'll finally get some video of that damn armadillo that keeps digging up my wife's flowers....