Disc Locks

Speedy Gonzales

Ok I never needed one before cause my bike was garaged. But now I'm in an apartment and have been looking at disc locks.

Basically I have my choices boiled down to a Xena XX14 or an ABUS Granit Detecto.

Does anybody have experience using either. I am hoping whatever I end up with is reliable with minimum false alarms.

OR should I just ditch the idea and go for a Scorpio alarm? A Scorpio would cost me about 3x what an Xena/ABUS would.

Ohio counties covered by Lojack.

Ohio - Cuyahoga, Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Geauga, Lake, Licking, Lorain, Madison, Medina, Summit, Union.

The LoJack Stolen Vehicle Recovery System is available in all or a substantial portion of each of the above counties, based on population density, geography and distribution of police tracking computers.

Edited by JackFlash

Disc locks work well on bikes over 500 - 600lbs. Anything lighter than that and 2 guys can be gone with it fast. When I lived in an apartment I chained my Kaw to a guard rail that was in front of my apartment and parked my car in front of it at night. But I have never tried the new disc locks that have alarms

Edited by HeavyDuty

I made my own alarm I took a mercury switch out of an old thermostat and mounted it under the seat so when the bike is on its side stand the mercury is to one side of the tube I run a wire from the battery to one side of the mercury tube with an on /off switch between them. run another wire from the other side of the tube to the horn wire with another switch between them make sure you put the switches out of site after you park your bike you can turn the switches on if someone stands the bike upright the horn will blow. Make sure you turn both switches off before you start the bike.

I read somewhere that a parent once hid a spare used cel phone under their dash to track the car when their kids were borrowing it. Ran a dedicated power source so it always stayed charged and still have gps tracking if the car's power was lost via the phone battery. Pretty cheap and ingenius way of keeping tabs on their vehicle and their teens, dont see why it wouldn't work under the seat on a bike.

As for disc locks, I've never used them. I typically tote a cable lock to anchor the bike to a 2nd bike, or something permanently stationary. 3 guys can pickup a motorcycle and stow it in a panel van in a matter of seconds, alarm or not. Had a buddy lose his TL like that. He parked it outside of his apartment, ran in to shit and nab his wallet, 5 minutes flat and it was gone :nono:

There is a GPS phone tracker program I read about that lets you track any cell phone that you have the number too It uses the same system that 911 uses and it works even if the cell tracker on the phone is shut off its cost was a little over $500 but it would even show the phone moving down the road on the map in real time. I will try to find the link for it and post it. It would be great for keeping track of the wife and kids and you would always know were your friends are. Yep that wouldn’t cause any problems would it? It also has a forum you have to sign saying you will not use it for any stalking purposes

It was called something like celltracker

Edited by HeavyDuty

No dealer within 100 miles of Columbus!

It weird that they don't list a Lojack dealer in central Ohio that does bikes.  I have one installed in my car and the dude is local, he came to my house to put it in.  The unit is self powered and didn't need to be wired to the car other than one wire to the body to act as an antenna.  I am sure the same unit could be used in a bike as long as you could mount it someplace dry and under the tank that it takes longer to access.

As for disk locks.  I don't have a dedicated one.  I have used a standard padlock in the past when on longer road trips.  Lock the steering stem so the front is turned and put a padlock on the sprocket of the back wheel.  Sprockets are a lot cheaper to replace if they get bent than a brake disk.

Edited by vf1000ride

Thanks for all the replies - keep em coming. I'm thinking of portable security so when I ride in to work I don't worry all day about my bike in the parking lot.

What I am thinking is using a disc lock like the ABUS for the rear wheel. It has a 3D accelerometer so it starts wailing if the bike is moved.

Second layer would be a Scorpio alarm system which has an accelerometer with an option of installing a perimeter sensor. So once the chirps then Scorpio alarm followed by the ABUS disc alarm, all go off it should be enough of a deterrent. Note I said deterrent because I know that any bike can be stolen!

I would love to tether but I just don't have much space in the tail of the Hayabusa to tote a 30lb Kryptonite chain around! In the apartment parking I could just tether it around the front axle of my car!

Edited by Speedy Gonzales

Actually I have heard that if someone wants your bike, even if it weighs as much as the big baggers, 4 guys can pick one right up and load it on a flatbed by take 2 boards and slding them through, one through the rear wheel, the other through under the neck, then just pick it up.  But that mercury switch trick sounds like it would thwart that.  That's a great idea.

I just run a hardened padlock though the holes in my disc and tether the frame to something substantial when and if I can using a coated cable.

But if someone wants it bad enough, they're going to take it..

• Upvote 1

I had a Scorpio on my old bike with all the fancy sensors. It worked really well, the remote was good for a pretty good distance and would notify if anything was going on with the bike. The remote kill feature was nice to if someone managed to get the bike running. I'd highly recommend the Scorpio alarm, may eventually invest in one for my new bike.

Sent while riding

I read somewhere that a parent once hid a spare used cel phone under their dash to track the car when their kids were borrowing it. Ran a dedicated power source so it always stayed charged and still have gps tracking if the car's power was lost via the phone battery. Pretty cheap and ingenius way of keeping tabs on their vehicle and their teens, dont see why it wouldn't work under the seat on a bike.

Didn't Scruit or someone else on here do something like that? I know i read a thread about that on here awhile ago.

I remember Scruit doing something like that, but I found out about it elsewhere on the internet -- I just remember someone wiring their car with one to track where their kids were.  It only works if the cel phone has a signal though, not sure if LoJack would outperform that or not -- wouldn't think so since GPS tracking is GPS tracking, no matter the device right?