Shock and handling question

bandit12

If I over stiffen the rear shock on my Bandit 1200S will it make pushing/pulling the handle bars feel like pulling a boat oar thru syrup? I can't remember if it felt that bad last year and it feels ok when sitting still so I don't think it's steering head bearings, any input from the suspension guys?

I tightened the pre-load on the spring to stiffen the shock and I believe I put a couple clicks on the compression and or rebound, maybe too much.

I'm bigger rider but non aggressive and the suspension was soft even to my 150 pound son so I did these things to try to stiffen the ride a bit so it wouldn't bottom out on expansion cracks.

I don't remember the steering being as stiff last year as it was the couple rides it has been on this year, as a matter of fact my son was the first to ride it this year and he was complaining how he felt like he was fighting the handle bars.

Edited by bandit12

Increasing the pre-load on the rear will make a slight change in the ride height and should reduce the rake and trail slightly as well.  This would make the bike turn in a little better, but I wouldn't think it would change steering feel that dramatically.  Get a jack under the motor and lift the front forks off the ground and push the bars left/right.  If there is appreciable drag on the bars, it's time to adjust the steering head tension or change the the SH bearings.  Check to make sure the cables for the controls--brake, throttle, clutch, wiring--aren't binding or hanging up where they go thru the frame/triple trees.

In case you haven't already, be sure to check you tire pressures before you ride this spring.  Low pressures from sitting all winter can make your steering feel heavy, and isn't the best for handling and tire life.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The front tire was about 12 pounds low, rear was about 5 pounds low. With the front tire off the ground the steering was stiff, the wire guide that holds the handlebar cables/wiring in place along the frame seemed a little tight so I bent it a little bit and that helped. 

blueskeyes, if you are talking about a rear tire, it has a 180/55 ZR17 on it now.

First chance I get I will have to take it for a ride and see if it made a positive difference.