04 Yamaha YFZ450 Stator Issue

bowdog

Need HELP! swapped out the Stator and Rectifier Regulator in my 04 Yamaha YFZ450 over the weekend. Quad started and ran before I worked on it. I know the stator is installed correctly but here are my issues. Old Stator had main wire coming out from Stator with two plug ends that plugged into main wiring harness. New stator has one plug that goes to main wiring harness and two yellow wires that plug to rectifier (old stator did not plug into rectifier), this leaves me with one plug that used to have a plug from the main wiring harness open. Issues are the bike cranks but will not fire, and another main issue that concerns me is that the headlights will now turn on without the key even in the ignition. Worked on this all weekend and exhausted everything I think it can be. Any suggestions would be great and even better would be if someone was close to the Reynoldsburg area with experience that could take a look at this for me. I will pay cash if you can come out. Thanks in advance for any help!

Just got off the phone with Rick's motorsports, they swear I have the right one and claim that with the new stator is is correct that the lights will light up. I guess that modification is because of the HID headlight upgrade you can get for them. Still confused as to why the bike started no problems before I changed the stator but now will not fire even though they are saying I am installed correctly.

Just got off the phone with Rick's motorsports, they swear I have the right one and claim that with the new stator is is correct that the lights will light up. I guess that modification is because of the HID headlight upgrade you can get for them. Still confused as to why the bike started no problems before I changed the stator but now will not fire even though they are saying I am installed correctly.

Put old stuff back in and see if it fires?

If you don't have any spark while cranking the issue isn't with your stator. While cranking the battery is doing all the work. Chase back your entire ignition system from the plugs and signal generator to the ecu, coils and harness. Something is unplugged, broken or shorted out.

• 8 years later...

Hey man I am having the SAME EXACT problem with my 2008 YFZ450. I just installed the Rick’s Motorsports stator and regulator and now my lights will turn on with the quad off but it won’t start. I’ve been searching everywhere to find someone who has had this problem and your the only person I can find that had the exact same problem I’m having. Did you ever figure it out!?

• 3 weeks later...