98 yz400f

undr_psi

Completely worthless for sumo without a title. I never understood why anyone would buy a bike without a title, the process to get it titled is long, expensive and nearly impossible. On the other hand, getting a new title printed out because you lost yours is cheap, quick and easy.

• Upvote 1

Or get a good deal on bike and buy a frame w/title on eBay for a few hundred... Kinda labor intensive though

This.

but with a dirt-bike, stripping it to the frame and cleaning everything up along the way certainly can't hurt anything.   Labor-intensive is a relative concern.  a single with minimal wiring is a lot less work than a 600 with a full harness.

Any way to get a lost title?

Not easily.  The last owner who had it titled in his or her name can request a new title.

Otherwise you need to find a state that will allow anyone to apply for a lost title after a certain amount of time.  I don't know which state(s) that is/are, but it can be done.  You would need to buy the bike, "sell" it to a person who lives in a state where they'll issue titles without real proof of ownership (which is nuts...), then buy it back from them.  (and that's where you can get screwed.  They can just refuse to sell it back to you and keep the bike if they want).

Then you have a valid out-of-state title, and can get an Ohio title by taking the bike to the BMV and getting a VIN inspection.  to get it registered and plated, it would still have to pass inspection in one of the states where it was validly titled. 

• Upvote 1

Not easily. The last owner who had it titled in his or her name can request a new title.

Otherwise you need to find a state that will allow anyone to apply for a lost title after a certain amount of time. I don't know which state(s) that is/are, but it can be done. You would need to buy the bike, "sell" it to a person who lives in a state where they'll issue titles without real proof of ownership (which is nuts...), then buy it back from them. (and that's where you can get screwed. They can just refuse to sell it back to you and keep the bike if they want).

Then you have a valid out-of-state title, and can get an Ohio title by taking the bike to the BMV and getting a VIN inspection. to get it registered and plated, it would still have to pass inspection in one of the states where it was validly titled.

I don't think dirt bikes had titles in 98 in Ohio.

I don't think dirt bikes had titles in 98 in Ohio.

they didnt but then the law passed and apparently it had to have a title to be sold. if not then you couldnt get a title for it with only a bill of sale.

they didnt but then the law passed and apparently it had to have a title to be sold. if not then you couldnt get a title for it with only a bill of sale.

Take a gander at the left column:

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/registration_titling_apv_usv.stm

Notarized bill of sale and an out of state inspection (done at BMV, costs $3.50 I think, took about a minute) is all I needed.