first track ride with the Grom

Hoblick

had the from out at CRP today to get a feel for it.  

felt pretty good, gonna have to work out some gearing for it to get it right, but it has potential to be a wicked mini gp bike.

the junk rear sets that are on it now have to go, i have a set of Driven rear sets on the way to replace them.

im gonna have to go to a smaller front tire, the bigger tire I'm running rubs the fender.

handles very well, tires stick like glue, and the suspension felt awesome.  power was actually pretty damn good for down there, but again gearing is gonna come into play.  right now i had no ground clearance issues, but the hard i push it i can see maybe scraping something.  but we will see.  i was getting faster and faster throughout the day.  no idea of lap times really, so ill be interested to see what kind of laps it puts down the first race.  i didn't feel as fast on it as i was my NSR, but that is because i don't have enough seat time yet.  its close though.

10003972_829544893727392_813842081_n_zps

null_zpsa9695c02.jpg

null_zps3095d9f8.jpg

Edited by Hoblick
  • Upvote 2

I 100% don't want to start the debate on whether or not riding minis improves your ability on a full-sized bike, but I will say that the low cost of racing the XR means I get to do it at least twice as often as I was able to ride my 600.

I feel like that has vastly improved my riding fitness and general comfort on any track.  I haven't been on a big bike since buying the little one, but it's definitely a nice way to stay in shape between rounds for those who are racing big bikes, and have a good time doing it.

• Upvote 1

I was seriously debating a grom. I'd like to see how my kx60 fairs against one. The only thing that holds me back is crashing one would be more expensive than my 60. Otherwise I love them and would like to get some seat time on one, if they weren't so damn hard to get ahold of.

I was seriously debating a grom. I'd like to see how my kx60 fairs against one. The only thing that holds me back is crashing one would be more expensive than my 60. Otherwise I love them and would like to get some seat time on one, if they weren't so damn hard to get ahold of.

How much do you weigh with gear?

is the KX60 liquid cooled?  that puts it in F2...  You'll be up against bikes with similar power, but in a race chassis.  Honestly I think the biggest weakness would be the lack of a disk brake.

Correct!  KX60 is liquid cooled and would be a F2 machine. (Any 2-stroke up to 72cc can race in F2)

You can always do a front disc upgrade like this person did.... as long as you stay under 72cc you can do whatever you like for modifications. 

486428_416779845030925_1768695966_n.jpg

I actually prefer the tiny chassis, and the drum brakes are performing decent at G&J, havnt tried CRP yet.

Posted Image

I have thought about upgrading to a 65, simply for rear suspension options. We'll see.

• 2 months later...