Help! Need someone to fix my 2006 Hayabusa

Howabusa

Last fall the Busa fried the regulator. This voltage surge then fried the battery, a coil, headlight bulb, and a fuse or 2. Pauly replaced all of this items and also put in new plugs. The bike has the FI light on and it has a miss in it. I need to find someone or some shop that I can get to fix this problem. Anybody have any suggestions? I don't have a clue on where to take it and I am depressed about not having a rideable bike!

I'd pull the code you have now to start.  Then remove the leads to the battery for 5-10 min. to clear the ECU of any codes then reconnect and check for codes again (might have to take a spin and run it for a little bit).  Being an '06 I'd bet you could find an ECU for not a lot of coin just to rule it out if you wanted.

Why pay someone to do some things you can do for free?  I certainly understand if you don't have the time or inclination but you can do some simple things yourself.  Besides, half the fun of owning a motorcycle is working on them.  I just ripped out my rear shock last night and the forks are coming off today to be sent out for service.  And I've had my fair share of electrical issues so you can do it yourself.

Hell, I could stop by on my way north on Sunday and pull the codes for you if you want.  Would take under 15 min.

All you really need is a paperclip, multimeter and shop manual.  I'd bet you could have it figured out in a couple days.  But if you really don't want to put hands on it I can't help you much more than what I've suggested as I don't know of any stealerships in your area.

Good luck and I hope you get it fixed.

No quick shift. I know how you pull the codes. I have a 10 by 14 shed that I have to work on it in. To me working on the bike isn't really fun. I know my limits when it comes to working on my bike. I just want to ride. I have no problem with someone besides a dealership working on it,as long as they can fix it!

I completely understand your point.  Anyone here willing to help you could fix it, it's just how much time and/or money are you willing to spend.  I could fix it right without even asking you for the code(s) and looking at it.  Buy new/used: coils (all of them), wire harness, ECU, fuses, v. regulator, sensors, stator assembly and I'll come over to install it all.  If you've replaced some of those already then get what hasn't.  It's all still going to be a game of diagnosing, tracing wiring, etc.

Simply put, if time isn't important then let someone try to diagnose it and go through it one part at a time until it's fixed.  If you don't want to wait, throw a bunch of money at it and just replace anything electrically related instead of trying to diagnose it.

Would you mind posting the codes if you have them or can get them?  We want to help you but electrical issue can be tricky to diagnose and fix.

It's surprising that a faulty rec/reg could wreak that much havoc.  Isn't the reason for fuses to prevent that kind of damage to electrical bits?   

I would check the busa boards.  Kent can't be the only one that's had this problem.

f1codes_jpg.jpg

Edited by Tpoppa

I would check the wiring continuity with a multimeter between the ECU and #3 coil (and yes it's not as "simple" and I stated it).  If the coil was swapped with another one from another cylinder and it's still throwing that code, it has to be the wire harness and/or ECU.

Used wire harness - $150-200

Used ECU - $100-200

Edited by r1crusher

If the coil was swapped with another one from another cylinder and it's still throwing that code, it has to be the wire harness and/or ECU.

Used wire harness - $150-200

Used ECU - $100-200

I agree with this logic.  If the coil has been ruled out, wiring and ECU should be all that is left.

A battery exploding on a bike because of over-charging and NOT have problems like speedo cutting in and out..... bikes I see over charging almost always have speedo problems/digital they are volt sensitive.

Check all grounds, If it was me I'd replace ecu first.....anyone can do that on metric bike without security system because they don't need mated

^^

I agree with this logic.  If Pauly checked the continuity from the 3 or 4 pins on the plug at the coil back to their end points elsewhere, pick up a ECU and proceed to replace it.  Yes, you'll have to do it in your shed, but it will only take you about 15 min. :D