Motorcycle Dealer's Cost vs MSRP on a new bike. Advice?

JackFlash

Well, it's getting close to the time for me to start thinking about an upgrade to a larger bike.  I'm

starting the third season of riding my little GS 500F.  Now, with some miles behind me, I think I'm

about ready to move up to FZ6R. 

The new FZ6Rs list for around $7800, but I've seen them for much less.  I was considering getting

a used bike, but if I can get a good deal on a new one, I may find it makes more sense to buy new. 

What I was told is:  "The sale price is $5290, with the tax, freight&prep, and documentation the out the door total is $6291.16."

This is a new 2013 Yamaha FZ6R. 

It's a five hour drive to the dealership, north of Indy.  I can buy one locally for $6500 plus tax and all that.  But, if

"tax and all that" adds another $1000 to the price, that's not as good of a deal as taking a drive to pick one up.

Give me some advice.  Tell me how to get the best deal.  What would you do?

If you are serious about buying, call every dealer around and tell them you will buy in next X amount of days and looking for a 'fair' deal.

If you are a 'cash' buyer used can score a much better deal. Watch CL and make low ball offers to those that come up that you would care to own.

Sometimes a drive is worth it.

Shit I found a year old fz6 with 1500 miles for half what that new price is. I'm cheap though and almost refuse to buy anything new. I'll let someone else take the depreciation hit

• Upvote 1

I cant give you any byers advice but bike advise I can. I have been riding myself for 4 sesons and started off on a fz 600. From what I have learned its the grandfather of your bike not to bad for a beginner. Then I upgraded to a 95 fzr witch is my current bike that I currently still have and for 800 $ I couldn't pass it up. I can tell you I and pretty happy with my current bike and I upgrade between the to was superb brakeing and performance. Would I like to have a more modern bike yeah who wouldn't but a 600 for myself is plenty enough bike to get in trouble if pushed to hard. Sorry for my rambling just think your really going to enjoy the upgrade.

Shit I found a year old fz6 with 1500 miles for half what that new price is. I'm cheap though and almost refuse to buy anything new. I'll let someone else take the depreciation hit

^this!!

I bought my FZ1 used with 749 miles for $4900. It retails for over $10k.

Used deals are out there, but may be harder to find this time of year.

Not a direct answer to the OP's question, but I would really advise looking beyond the FZ6R.  I have ridden a GS500 multiple times, and took a quick trip on an FZ6R that a former coworker bought. 

While the FZ6R is a good bike, it is not a significant upgrade from the GS500.  At least not in power.  The FZ6R is Yamaha's beginner bike.  That doesn't mean it's bad, but I would assume that if you're willing to spend the $7800 discussed above, you want a better machine.  You should easily be able to get almost whatever you want for that price.

Edited by redkow97

I'm cheap though and almost refuse to buy anything new. I'll let someone else take the depreciation hit

I agree with this mostly, but I have bought 4 new bikes and I've only lost money on one of them.  And I put about 40k on that one.

I bought my CBR as a new leftover.  Pretty sure I could sell it today for more than I paid :)

I agree with this mostly, but I have bought 4 new bikes and I've only lost money on one of them.  And I put about 40k on that one.

I bought my CBR as a new leftover.  Pretty sure I could sell it today for more than I paid :)

Teach me your ways! I've done it many times with used deals but never tried on new ones!

You're not cheap, my brother.  You're just a frugal Mexitalian bargin shopper.   :D

And there's nothing wrong with that.

This is the kind of deal I would like to get, a lightly used bike with very low miles

and a highly discounted price, that someone would like to get out of their garage,

because their ol' lady is nagging the crap out of them, because it is taking up floor

space that she wants to use for some of her worthless crap.

Depreciation is the reason I was thinking I would get a used bike.  I would rather

someone else pay for that.  I can use that money for *farkles and such.

Even a 2011 at the right size, price, and mileage would be up my alley.

F.ancy

A.ccessory

R.eally

K.ool &

L.ikely

E.xpensive

I bought my FZ1 used with 749 miles for $4900. It retails for over $10k.

Used deals are out there, but may be harder to find this time of year.

This is a perfect example of the kind of deal I would like to make.

It seems that people buy a bike, thinking they are going to enjoy

being a motorcyclist, find out they have demands on their time

or they don't like the sport to the extent they thought they might,

and the bike ends up dusty and covered with crap in the darkest

back corner of the garage. 

Before it gets all banged up, or ages into dry rotted tires, I would

like to be the one lucky enough to brag about what a good deal

I was able to get.

This is the toughest time of the year to find the great deals on used bikes.  Not impossible, but people typically jack up prices in the spring and early summer.  Plus there are lots more people looking to buy.  When there is a good deal it's gone in a couple days.  Have cash ready and act quick :)

I would agree that a FZ6R is probably only a 1/2 step up from a GS500.       

Since you're in Newark take a ride out to K+C Cycles out in Hebron.

Last week they had a new FZ-09 that someone put a deposit on,but hasn't been back since.If that person backs out K+C might be able to deal on it.

They also have some used bikes including several Ducati's.

Personally I'd rather deal with a locally owned dealer if I can.

Since you're in Newark take a ride out to K+C Cycles out in Hebron.

Last week they had a new FZ-09 that someone put a deposit on,but hasn't been back since.If that person backs out K+C might be able to deal on it.

They also have some used bikes including several Ducati's.

Personally I'd rather deal with a locally owned dealer if I can.

I stopped down there last week.  They currently have two blue FZ6Rs.

They offered me one for $6500.  That's the dealer I'm comparing prices

with.  They didn't say that was the "out the door" price, so I'm not assuming

it is.  It seems, from the Indiana dealership, the tax and all will add another

$1000.

$1000 seems kind of high.Talk to them and get the "out the door" price.I don't believe they charge dealer set-up and other fees.If I remember right,it was just tax and title on my FJR.

How much is it going to cost you to go Indy and pick the other bike up.And if you have problems,are you going to have those costs again to get it service?.Plus,the owner does the servicing at K+C.Those were some of the reasons I chose to stay local.

Scott at Iron Pony would get you into the FZ09 at a very competitive price.

If that's too much bike for your needs right now, I'd wait it out a few months until Yamaha brings the FZ07 to the states. Early reviews say it's a pretty brilliant bike. Might be the successor to the SV 650. Sv650 itself may be a good bet for you. Used models go for $3000 and under all year long.

This is a perfect example of the kind of deal I would like to make.

It seems that people buy a bike, thinking they are going to enjoy

being a motorcyclist, find out they have demands on their time

or they don't like the sport to the extent they thought they might,

and the bike ends up dusty and covered with crap in the darkest

back corner of the garage.

Before it gets all banged up, or ages into dry rotted tires, I would

like to be the one lucky enough to brag about what a good deal

I was able to get.

It was a good deal, and they are out there, but, I bought it at the end of the season after looking for that specific model for months. I conducted a methodical search of the eastern US through many different used bike sites, CL, etc. and in the end, Gump found it in the bike trader in PA.

I won't buy any vehicle new. Credit unions have good rates on used bikes if you don't have cash.

...I would really advise looking beyond the FZ6R.

While the FZ6R is a good bike, it is not a significant

upgrade from the GS500.  At least not in power.  The

FZ6R is Yamaha's beginner bike. 

I would agree that a FZ6R is probably only a 1/2 step up from a GS500.       

This brings us to another question. 

My bike has 47 hp (34.3 kW) at 9200 rpm and

29.5 ft·lbf (40.0 N·m) at 7400 rpm of torque.

What is considered a reasonable upgrade in terms

of power and speed?  I don't want to purchase 

something that I'll be disappointed with, and I also

don't want to purchase a monster that is so far over

my head that I'll only use 1/4 of the available throttle.

How much of an increase in torque (percentage) and/

or increase in horsepower is considered to be a prudent

upgrade without overdoing it, considering I like to ride

briskly but have not yet been able to do any track days?

I'm inclined to a sporty/sport touring type of bike, and

don't want to be leaning forward on my arms very much.