Might need to look for a new job

Bad324

Without going in to detail, in the coming weeks I may be searching for a new opportunity. My problem is I'm not sure what to look for

I have a Bachelor Degree in Organizational Leadership with a focus in management. I have 5 years experience as a "project manager". I use quotes because that is my title however not in the traditional sense but it was the best we came up with for my jack of all trades role. I'm likely planning to start getting my MBA in the fall once married since it will be free for me to do via the wife's job at a college

Some of my major roles include HR duties like payroll and managing our health care program. Manage most of our liability, property and equipment Insurance. I do low level accounting tasks as well as assist in Cash Flow management. I could go on but the list of things I do is honestly a full typed page long of bullet points. But from this you can see I don't have any one thing I specialize in like being a teacher or being a software developer etc so I'm struggling knowing what to look for

Relocating is just not an option at this point so it has to be in Northeast Ohio. I really really hate sales so avoiding that like the plague. Looking for ideas, suggestions and opportunities from you guys

If I weren't in healthcare already, I would look into project management.  Health Care is secure and enjoys relatively good growth.  Good project managers are almost always needed, especially in IT.  If you were interested and could relocate, I would suggest Ohiohealth.  But since you're not ready to move check with the healthcare system in your area.  Doesn't sound like you have your PMP, but working toward that would be helpful.

Good luck!

Without going in to detail, in the coming weeks I may be searching for a new opportunity. My problem is I'm not sure what to look for

I have a Bachelor Degree in Organizational Leadership with a focus in management. I have 5 years experience as a "project manager". I use quotes because that is my title however not in the traditional sense but it was the best we came up with for my jack of all trades role. I'm likely planning to start getting my MBA in the fall once married since it will be free for me to do via the wife's job at a college

Some of my major roles include HR duties like payroll and managing our health care program. Manage most of our liability, property and equipment Insurance. I do low level accounting tasks as well as assist in Cash Flow management. I could go on but the list of things I do is honestly a full typed page long of bullet points. But from this you can see I don't have any one thing I specialize in like being a teacher or being a software developer etc so I'm struggling knowing what to look for

Relocating is just not an option at this point so it has to be in Northeast Ohio. I really really hate sales so avoiding that like the plague. Looking for ideas, suggestions and opportunities from you guys

I have a similar degree and have been a PM for about 15 years.  The kind of projects I lead are software implementations for companies in the 5-20k employee range.  We implement HR and Payroll software. 

What payroll package do you use, and who is your healthcare provider?  Those companies use PMs to implement their software when a new business signs on as a client.  They like people who already have hands on experience with their products.  A PMP is a plus when trying to land those kind of gigs.    

I can recommend a couple head hunters. They can look at your skills/abilities and then target them at opportunities they already have listed. They managed to find me quite a few interviews, and ultimately a great job.

How does one find a head hunter? I'm obviously in an entirely different location than you, but I'd like to see what my options are in the work field. I'm not real happy with where I work and think someone like a headhunter would be an interesting person to speak with.

Sent while riding

if you're looking for employment with a bigger company, head hunters and employment agencies are the way to go.  i've been using monster, word of mouth, craigslist, and other such ways to find programmers.  monster has been good so far.

• Upvote 2

I have a similar degree and have been a PM for about 15 years. The kind of projects I lead are software implementations for companies in the 5-20k employee range. We implement HR and Payroll software.

What payroll package do you use, and who is your healthcare provider? Those companies use PMs to implement their software when a new business signs on as a client. They like people who already have hands on experience with their products. A PMP is a plus when trying to land those kind of gigs.

That's actually a really good idea to check with them. We use construction accounting software Foundation. Since I only have 15 employees to do payroll for I do it all in house with the software

What is a PMP? Like I said im not really a typical project manager

Not exactly sure what kind of company you work in but have you considered construction project management?

I can look but more than likely I'm not qualified in the least bit for that right now

I attended a PMP bootcamp at the suggestion of one of my managers, paid for by the company.  My mistake was in not realizing the importance at the time and not taking the certification test.  Would have been a lot of work and study, but - well lets just say hind sight is 20/20... 

If there were a way that your current employment could foot the bill for at least a part of your training I would highly recommend it.  Especially if you plan to continue in any kind of project management position.  And sometimes asking for training is a good way to demonstrate your willingness to enhance your worth to the organization...  It's all about them, remember.

lol you might actually have to start working and paying for gas like the rest of us......tough break bro!

My life of luxury and ease might be getting a culture shock haha

welp after a few days of thought, I need to get the hell out of this industry so I'm pretty actively looking now. I need to update my resume in the worst way too

If the recent events force a closure of the company you would get unemployment....and probably re-training money....that is how I got out of sales that I hated and was killing me and into computers.  They paid for all of the schooling and I got unemployment while going to school. It is a special federal program that is still around.  If it goes down that way check into it, it only applies to certain industries.

if you're looking for employment with a bigger company, head hunters and employment agencies are the way to go.  i've been using monster, word of mouth, craigslist, and other such ways to find programmers.  monster has been good so far.

can you employ me to take care of your motorcycle collection?

If the recent events force a closure of the company you would get unemployment....and probably re-training money....that is how I got out of sales that I hated and was killing me and into computers.  They paid for all of the schooling and I got unemployment while going to school. It is a special federal program that is still around.  If it goes down that way check into it, it only applies to certain industries.

this intrigues me, do you happen to know the name. Even though I hate school, this may be worth looking into

this intrigues me, do you happen to know the name. Even though I hate school, this may be worth looking into

No idea what the program consists of these days. I did it in '99. They coughed up about 6 grand for an accelerated IT training program. The MCSE paper mills if you know that whole thing.

http://jfs.ohio.gov/owd/wia/wiamap.stm

We are hiring at my place, Constant Aviation. Have a look at available positions at http://www.constantaviation.com/careers.html 

There's an accounting admin position that may be a good fit. I'm not involved with this part of the company, I do the designing/engineering here. As far as the company goes, it's a great place to work! 

learn to weld, or apply on the bottom rung of the steel mill.  Arcelor Mittal (I probably spelled that wrong)

"laborers" make decent money, and while the only real way to get a promotion is for some old lazy a-hole to die or retire, the supervisors acknowledge hard work, and you can move up the ranks relatively easily when that does finally happen.

Plus (per my friend's report of the guys he supervises), you always know exactly who is retiring, because they make a huge deal about counting down their days... The guys closest to retirement will have the cushiest jobs (in the locomotive shop).  That is the spot everyone is angling for.  You want to step into the job vacated by whoever gets that spot.  Bend the ear of the locomotive shop supervisors, and find out who the front-runner is, then start impressing their current boss.

It's a good career ...if you can stand having union coworkers ;-)

Edited by redkow97