New cage, time on track?

bigd

So, my brother just placed an order for a new C7 corvette. Which, I'm very jealous as they did a really good job with this car.

Anyway, I'm going to at some point convince him to get it on a track to stretch it's legs legally...

My question is, I know mid-O does some open track events and such - but is there a better option I should steer him towards? I don't know much about the cages on track. 

Thanks all!

Oh, this is more or less the car he ordered, but his will be with red calipers, and red interior.

c7-corvette7-6.jpg

Edited by bigd

Siiiiiiiick. I was just in a dealership talking numbers on one while I had my fiances car in for service. If it wasn't for my entirely too small garage, I may have pulled the trigger

Siiiiiiiick. I was just in a dealership talking numbers on one while I had my fiances car in for service. If it wasn't for my entirely too small garage, I may have pulled the trigger

Well, if you're on the fence...I'll let you know after I get the chance to bang some gears what my thoughts are.

I guess there's a price increase that they're rolling out as well.

Well, if you're on the fence...I'll let you know after I get the chance to bang some gears what my thoughts are.

I guess there's a price increase that they're rolling out as well.

The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is garage space otherwise I've got my heart dead set on a coupe in torch red with the 2LT and Z51 package, 7spd and the black split 5 spokes since that is more likely in the budget than holding out for a Z06

I think Id start will auto cross. little less dangerous till he gets the hang of the car. Id have a hard time taking a New corvette or any $60000 vehicle to a track day. Its much easier on a $3500 motorcycle to now worry about crashing.

I think Id start will auto cross. little less dangerous till he gets the hang of the car. Id have a hard time taking a New corvette or any $60000 vehicle to a track day. Its much easier on a $3500 motorcycle to now worry about crashing.

It's really not all that dangerous if you have a decent set of driving skill. I had never driven a car on any type of track until about 5 years ago when a family friend let me take a couple laps in his race C5 around Mid O. I almost declined because I was nervous for the same line of thinking but once I got out there it was the most fun I ever had on 4 wheels

Nelson ledges does (or used to do) "fun days" for $120 per driver.

I never participated, but a friend of mine asked me about it because he knew I had ridden there. His dad has a Porsche and now tracks it regularly. Nelson was his first time on track.

I expect it is the least expensive track time you will find for a car.

PIRC also does auto cross and "track cross" events. Track cross is the same concept as auto cross except its a clutch start on the front straight, and then the finish line is on the back straight. Turn 10 isn't part of the timing loop, so there is room to slow down and re-stage.