stunt riding

Tp1989

Tp.....you don't even ride yet. Don't worry about stunting. And don't make stunting a goal. You made a good choice coming to this forum. The vast majority of active members here are very safe, skilled, committed riders and will be more than happy to guide you, a neophyte, in your journey to become a good rider, myself among them. You have hundreds, maybe thousands of cumulative years of experience here to draw from. Be humble. Be eager to learn. Be a sponge, ready to absorb the wealth of knowledge that lives in this forum.

or be a squid.

• Upvote 2

I can't wheelie to save my life.  I need to spend some quality time with the XR100 and invest in new clutch plates and springs, then ruin the old parts.

I have wheelied the 600RR by accident in a couple of WERA races, and that is thoroughly exhilarating; although equally as terrifying in a swarm of other bikes all jockeying for position into turn 1.

The only way I can intentionally wheelie the XR right now is to hit the little bump by pit-out and bouncing the forks and smacking the throttle open as I go over it.  Accidental wheelies on race starts have been relatively infrequent, and far less dramatic than when it's done on a 400 lbs. bike, at 50mph.

Just pin the throttle and dump the clutch, it'll come up.

My first wheelie was also a surprise and also scary. I've wheelie a fee times intentionally but it still scares the shit out of me if it gets up too high. My tl 1000s used to float the front wheel a few inches off the ground all the way thru 1st and 2nd gear, that was pretty cool but not exactly safe. My bandit 1200 will yank the front end right up if I roll on it in 1st gear over 5k rpm and will easily loop it if I don't get off the throttle or on the rear brake. Scary as fuck.

Edited by CrazySkullCrusher

Totally agree. Xr100 is about the perfect bike to learn wheel stands on. My cousin used to stunt his gsxr. He once rode a wheelie up 77 from canton to akron. Kid was crazy good at wheelies....couldn't hold a line for shit but stunt shit for days.

Totally agree. Xr100 is about the perfect bike to learn wheel stands on. My cousin used to stunt his gsxr. He once rode a wheelie up 77 from canton to akron. Kid was crazy good at wheelies....couldn't hold a line for shit but stunt shit for days.

Back when MotoSeries was still "Fasttrax," I took their rider school. This was in 2008.   I don't know who was instructing, but he said they had one of the "Star Boys" take the school once, and he could wheelie the whole front straight, or stoppie from the bridge well into turn 1, but he couldn't get a knee down to save his life.

I think it's really hard to learn new skills that conflict with your existing 'brain riding program.'

My tl 1000s used to float the front wheel a few inches off the ground all the way thru 1st and 2nd gear

Ah the difference an ECU can make. My brother old TLS had the original 97 ECU. Recall not done. It would lift it in 1-3 no problem. Chop the throttle in 3rd, it would come straight up. There was a reason it was nicknamed "The Widowmaker."
  • Upvote 1

I'm almost thankful that I can't wheelie.  I feel like it would only get me into trouble.

...but I'd like to be able to be a squid on the cool-down lap after a race win.  Seems like a win deserves some tomfoolery.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm almost thankful that I can't wheelie.  I feel like it would only get me into trouble.

...but I'd like to be able to be a squid on the cool-down lap after a race win.  Seems like a win deserves some tomfoolery.

Nothing like crashing out on the cool-down lap!! 

Who am I to talk... I crashed on the warm up lap!  :eek:

• 4 years later...

Hey I am actually wanting to get into stunting and would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction of class or where I could go to learn. I know stunting can be very dangerous but that is why I came here to figure out if there are class that I can be professionally taught in a safe environment rather than some youtube teacher. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.