New bike suggestions

motozachl

I've long wondered just how much an average rider would even notice the "loss of handling" from lowering links. To me it seems like it would be negligible but I've never ridden a lowered bike

I'm not tall, but I'm actually planning on raising the tail of my bike a bit... there is a very popular "shim" mod on the XX's that supposedly makes them corner MUCH better.

I don't see a reason to lower a bike unless you seriously can't touch the ground. I tiptoe my bike as it is.

I've long wondered just how much an average rider would even notice the "loss of handling" from lowering links. To me it seems like it would be negligible but I've never ridden a lowered bike

A lowered bike will have noticably less lean angle before touching. I think that is the main difference in handling. 

And I think you lose some suspension travel which will affect how it handles rough roads.

Luckily I don't have that problem. :) Instead I wish for more leg room on most bikes. :(

Craig

A lowered bike will have noticably less lean angle before touching. I think that is the main difference in handling. 

And I think you lose some suspension travel which will affect how it handles rough roads.

Luckily I don't have that problem. :) Instead I wish for more leg room on most bikes. :(

Craig

I know the science of it, my point was how many "average" riders can actually ride well enough on the street to hit those limits

I know the science of it, my point was how many "average" riders can actually ride well enough on the street to hit those limits

I guess it depends on how "average" they are, and on how the bike is lowered.

I think most people just lengthen the rear suspension linkage, which is what increases the rake of the forks, and makes the bike turn-in so much slower.

If you did what someone above suggested, and lower the rear AND front equally (but by half as much), the effect is reduced.  You still lose ground clearance, but the rake remains constant. 

Ground clearance really can be important though.  You really start to notice it at the track, but I dragged a toe on the street before I had ever been to the track.  That was mostly due to shit body position, but I did it.  Lowering the bike itself by an inch reduces the possible lean angle by quite a bit though.  I can't adequately explain the math, but it would be easily demonstrated with household items.

**edit - I think the best example would be to use a bicycle.  Lean it over with the inside pedal at the top of its rotation, and then lean it over with that pedal slightly lower.  The effect on the potential lean-angle should be pretty pronounced.

Edited by redkow97