New bike suggestions

motozachl

Coming from a decade of sport bikes I am considering switching to another format of bike. Looking for something a little more comfortable yet still able to handle it quite well and hit occasional curves. Budjet is under 6k. Let me know your thoughts/questions/suggestions. Thanks all

wanna buy my VFR? Fits exactly what you're wanting :D

But seriously my suggestions would be VFR or FZ1 or Ninja 1000, though I have no clue if those can be found under $6k or not. Sounds like you're exactly where I was when I bought my VFR. I wanted something more comfortable than a CBR but still could handle well and I couldn't be happier that I ended up with the VFR. Part of me is just bored and wants something new, part of me isn't sure if I could actually part with it or not

Edited by Bad324

When you say "more comfortable" are you talking about wind protection, or just riding position?

I think the naked standards are the way to go.  You can put dirt bars on any bike, and having a seat reupholstered to add padding is a lot cheaper than people think.  the only remaining concern at that point is the rearset position, which tends to be lower on an FZ09 or FZ1 versus an R6/R1.  That last bit can cause clearance issues when cornering, but otherwise, it's a great comfort feature on the street.

without knowing what kind of power you expect to have, there are a ton of options for you.  Everything from the naked 650 twins on up through the VFR type bikes and naked 750-1000cc class.

But you can change the ergonomics on most bikes for pretty cheap - you can't add power without spending a bit more.   Someone said that to me in a discussion about how they liked the FZ8 better than the FZ09, and I think it's a relevant point for all bike purchases.  New bars will always cost less than motor work.

Sport tourer (VFR,FJR, C14, ST) or adventure bike(VStrom,Versy,GS, Multi) sound like your options. If you don't plan on doing any gravel or mild off road I'd stick with the sport tour. The ADV bike will be your cheaper option but you get a lot of bang for your buck out of the sport.T. I've seen quite a few in your price range.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

Have you considered Helibars?  They made a big difference on my CBR600RR.  500 mile days are no problem and it handles better than any sport tourer.

and you could change them back in under an hour if you wanted to do more aggressive riding.

and you could change them back in under an hour if you wanted to do more aggressive riding.

you likely wouldn't even need to swap them out. I have no issue with mine, granted I'm not really fast and have zero form

First off I greatly appreciate all the suggestions thus far! I suppose my OP is geared towards actual riding position of my r6. Handles simply amazing but would enjoy something that I could carry mroe than a backpack and go more than 100 miles without wanting to turn around. Over last summer I borrowed one of my fathers electri glides and it was like a two wheeled recliner with cc and all but felt massive. Don't think I need something in the 1000cc class would be quite required as the r6 has more than I would ever need at the moment. Also I never track. Just cruised on country roads with myself/a girl or DD to work/errads.

The speed triple looks tight as well as the other naked bike suggestions. The cheapest route would be some new bars/seat I do agree with that! Also something with a uniseat for passenger is a no for me, just not astestically pleasing IMO.

Just because tourers have big cc don't mean they have big power. They are tuned and geared for smoothness and comfort and some for mpgs. For example a 750 and up full sport bike would take my 1400 on the top end easy. But I can leave mine in 6th and pull out of a 25mph roll without shifting.

If you're gonna go standard or sport tour go big cc, much more tractable power and it's pretty much on demand, no downshifting in traffic to stay on the power band like a 600 ss. The power comes on at about 3.5k on my bandit 1200 and just doesn't stop till red line but it's very smooth predictable delivery.

My dream bike would be 450 lbs wet, fully adjustable SS spec suspension, decent wind protection, 100+ rwhp, comfort for 500 miles days, & hard cases.  Unfortunately it doesn't exist.  The bikes that come the closest are the Ninja 1000 & BMW F800GT.

So...I am going with my CBR with Helibars, adjustable footpegs, and probably a Ventura Rack/Pack.

Edited by Tpoppa

Like many of the previous posts have pointed out above, the larger sport touring bikes (vfr, st, fjr, & C14) will have smooth power, wind protection, and the can give plenty of room for storage. If your heart is set on less than 1000 cc, you may want to consider either the new Ninja 1000 or a Wee Strom. There is a good article on last month's Cycle World about the new Ninja. It has add-on hard saddle bags as an option. Both sizes of the V-Strom have a significant aftermarket parts availability. You can increase the windshield size and add on hard cases.

Edited by Connie14

CBR1100XX...?

Gobs of power, less aggressive riding position, plenty of torque for carrying passengers or luggage, enough clearance to not drag parts around most corners, cheap for the displacement/power/brand/year, and very reliable.

I did the LA trip on mine, as well as the southern end of Georgia, and several 16 hour days without discomfort... 2-up it gets a little cramped after several hours, but solo it's fantastic.

Also something with a uniseat for passenger is a no for me, just not astestically pleasing IMO.

This is how I felt until I got the VFR. I just hated the look of the uni-seat but with the VFR having the solo cowl that comes on and off easily, you could barely tell. In my opinion, I also think they make for a comfier ride from a stock vs stock standpoint

you're more than welcome to drop on by anytime and check mine out if you want a baseline of "sport tourer" to see what you may like and not like

I actually never even thought about my seat being solo or what it looked like. These things are of little importance to me, comfort, handling and reliability take priorities over everything else. Hell when your ass is in the saddle you can't see it anyway..lol

Edited by 2talltim

wanna buy my VFR? Fits exactly what you're wanting :D

But seriously my suggestions would be VFR or FZ1 or Ninja 1000, though I have no clue if those can be found under $6k or not. Sounds like you're exactly where I was when I bought my VFR. I wanted something more comfortable than a CBR but still could handle well and I couldn't be happier that I ended up with the VFR. Part of me is just bored and wants something new, part of me isn't sure if I could actually part with it or not

This is exactly where I am. Five years with the VFR has been great but I want a CB11 bad.

I can personally vouch for the Ninja 1000. It fits ever category. With a Vstream windscreen wind is negligible. A seat adds to comfort. I did 820 miles in 13 hours last summer. I had no complaints. 400-500 days back to back would have been no problem. I have 33liter, I think, saddle bags from twisted throttle. They work great. Foot pegs are high enough that there's really no worry of dragging on spirited riding, but still low enough not to stress your legs on long rides. Power is there. It's awesome power too and the sweet spot is around 6k rpm. It jist barely is over 500lbs stock. With an aftermarket exhaust and a couple other weight reductions you're knocking on that 450 too...

I had a 2001 zx6r that I had quasi sport tourered and was happy. The Ninja 1000 blows it away, I have no interest in any other bike now or in the near future.

Sent while riding

• 2 weeks later...

...you may want to consider... the new Ninja 1000.....

There is a good article on last month's Cycle World about

the new Ninja. It has add-on hard saddle bags as an option.

I just read that article.....twice. 

Here's another good one.

http://cyclenews.uberflip.com/i/200817/60

This could be my answer to the Connie 14

not being made in my size.

I just read that article.....twice. 

Here's another good one.

http://cyclenews.uberflip.com/i/200817/60

This could be my answer to the Connie 14

not being made in my size.

Helluva lot of bike Jack, HUGE step up from the 500 you ride. I think you would love a Versys and would be perfect for you, my buddy has one and his new 1200RT just sits in the garage because he enjoys riding the Versys more.

Helluva lot of bike Jack, HUGE step up from the 500 you ride.

I think you would love a Versys and would be perfect for you,

my buddy has one and his new 1200RT just sits in the garage

because he enjoys riding the Versys more.

That would be a bike for later.  I would have to buy a

used one anyway, plus get some more riding experience.

As for the Verseys, that 33.3 inch

seat height is an issue for me.  I'm a bit closer to the

ground than most of you.  Remember how tall your

Connie was for me?

That would be a bike for later.  I would have to buy a

used one anyway, plus get some more riding experience.

As for the Verseys, that 33.3 inch

seat height is an issue for me.  I'm a bit closer to the

ground than most of you.  Remember how tall your

Connie was for me?

Different seat and or lowering links are very popular, allot of vertically challenged people own and ride them. I am betting the Ninja 1000 is pretty tall too, many bikes other than a cruiser are going to be taller than most. The C14 is a beast, no bones about that......

You calling the C14 fat? OK, it is a big bike. I sat on the Ninja 1000, and it is kind of tall. But like Pokey said, the lowering links are popular They can be gotten for most popular bikes, but they will slightly reduce your cornering.