Boot Shopping

2talltim

My old Joe Rocket Big Bangs have seen better days after 3 seasons, so time to upgrade. I'm looking for waterproof touring boots that will also work for everyday riding. Dont really need them insulated due to the fact that i'm a fair weather rider. Like to stay at or below $150( can go higher and hope to find them on sale or cheaper through Nate). Let me know what y'all have or have tried or recommend. GO!...................

Edited by 2talltim

Most duty boot wearers think the Bates wears out too fast. I went with Converse zipper duty boots.

Wear them all Summer, and they've been through torrential downpours and stayed dry.

I can't stop rain water running down my leg into the boot though.

But it takes a while to do that.

Bates. Lots of styles to choose from. I rock their waterproof ones, no problem with heat.

Most duty boot wearers think the Bates wears out too fast. I went with Converse zipper duty boots.

Wear them all Summer, and they've been through torrential downpours and stayed dry.

I can't stop rain water running down my leg into the boot though.

But it takes a while to do that.

what the pros and cons of a duty boot vs. and dedicated motorcycle touring boot?

I'm a big Alpinestars boot fan, mainly because it's one of the only brands I've found that fits my fat foot. I've got SMX-2's (I think) but the ones Pauly listed are high on my list for replacements

• Upvote 1

what the pros and cons of a duty boot vs. and dedicated motorcycle touring boot?

Duty boots are waterproof, and sturdy enough to stop a twisted ankle or more.

They won't have pucks on sides for contact with the road.

Haven't tried walking in bike boots, but duty boots are normal walking.

They cost a lot less.

I did try to break my ankle wearing them, and it didn't happen. Twisted and xray only.

Twisted hard and fast enough to get an abrasion burn inside the boot, but not from anything outside.

Second pair, mine last about two years each pair. Daily wear.

Usually prefer anti-slip Wolverines in the Winter.

When I say duty boots I mean police and EMT wear.

Not combat boots, but I've used those too.

I'm happy being able to get on and off the bike and be comfortable both ways.

All the moto specfiic boots fit differently, especially for brand and models. Go to the Pony and try on a bunch, and then buy "from them" the boot that feels good and fits right. I will NEVER wear anything other than motorcycle boots ever again.....the protection, comfort, waterproof, no laces, and just pure convenience of them is just awesome. A vast majority of riders that take trips and ride in all weather conditions, will more than likely have motorcycle boots on, or eventually end up in a pair. ;)

All the moto specfiic boots fit differently, especially for brand and models. Go to the Pony and try on a bunch, and then buy "from them" the boot that feels good and fits right. 

i figured I would end up doing that, go there try on every pair they have till i find what i want then order from RD

Am I The only person that wears a waterproof Redwing or Wolverine hiking boot? What are the benefits of a motorcycle only boot? I wear the same boots riding that I wear during work.

yup crush protection is the number one thing, plus most moto boots have a extra rigid ankle area to help protect from road abrasion and twist. plus all the other stuff Poke said

Shame shame shame........ :beating:

If IP is close on price ill get them there, but RD usually blows them out of the water. I know they have over head and all that but maybe they should be a little more competitive on pricing. 

I have TCX X-Squares that I bought at IP for under a hundo...  They're pretty good for short walks but they're also not very tall for a motorcycle boot, more like a shoe.

I wear boots on my job, Hitech hikers in brown and Bates Sport Tacticals when I need black.  I spend a lot of time walking and on my feet and the first pair of Bates lasted two years before the heal separated.  Dicks carries them.  About 80 bucks.

I have a pair of the Latigo Air boots.

They're decent, but I'll be honest; the sole is pretty flat and hard. Doesn't seem like it'd be comfortable after a while.

I've walked around bike nights with them no problem. But I've also used a cable lock through the zippers and latched them on the bike and wore sneakers around too.