FZ1 Questions

DAC

Looking at getting bike # 2 and would like to get a standard that's versatile for commuting and for friends to use for sport touring duty. The bike that keeps coming to mind is the FZ1 which I have heard lots of good things about on this board. Got two questions:

1. Gen1 or Gen2? Which is the better bike for generic sport touring and has nicer manners for a wide range of guest riders to ride? Gen2, I seem to hear, is a bit more high strung.

2. I'm seeing a Gen1 out there with low miles. Like 1,200 miles. It's beautiful and it's been gone through (carbs cleaned and tune up) but I worry about the shape mechanicals are in: cylinders, rubber seals, etc. Any advice?

Thanks.

Thanks. I'll probably have a look see here shortly and I'll ask how it was stored. (Cylinders oiled or at least stored inside reasonably.)

Edited by DAC

No problem with 300 - 400 miles a day on my Gen1, I dont load too heavy Hi mount exaust cancels out saddle bags. Tail & tank bag holds enough for a couple days. Rides great on freeway, Zero Gravity DB windshield is much better than stock I'm 5'9" wind hits me at chin.

Gen2 is a better overall bike unless you prefer a carb'd bike. Bubba has a nice one for sale on here. Also consider a Z1000...more low and mid power with a similar riding position (not sure about the '14 model).

Bubba's is really nice and I lean towards the Gen 2 because I hate carbs very very much. I'd buy his in a heartbeat if someone bought my VFR I think

Thanks, guys!  If you keep pumping my FZ, I'm gonna have to send some commission money your way…. ;)

I rode this to Waynesville, NC, last Sept and found it to be very comfy for long days.  When I first got the bike, I was leery that it would have the same low-speed fueling glitch that I hated about my FJR, but this motor has none of the "digital off-on snatch" when you roll on the throttle out of a corner.  Suspension is what I would call average and works fine for 7-8/10ths riding, but leaves something to be desired when you're pushing hard and the pavement turns rough.  With the upgraded seat, soft bags (like I used for the trip) and the touring screen, I rode over 2000 miles in 6 days--mostly back roads--with a couple of 450 mile days and had no problems….and I'm old as dirt!  If I had one wish for the Gen 2, I'd like a bit more fuel range--for regular riding, you're pushing the limit of the tank at 165-170+ miles.

IMGP1219.jpg

Edited by Bubba

I love mine. The 06, which was the first year of the Gen 2, had a little bit of it snatchiness on off throttle issue. It is easily corrected with the Ivans fuel cut eliminator.

I also had to upgrade the seat because I have a bony ass.

I have heard that the first generation is a much better long-distance bike and has a more comfortable riding position but you're giving up horsepower and better suspension and handling.

It's much more of a UJM than the gen 2.

i only have experience with a gen 2 (i have one very similar to max power and i have the same windscreen as bubba) and i found it to be one of the best all around bikes you can have for less than 4K (my experience with tubby fat ugly ass bikes is limited though).  drag knee, putz around, it does it all.  never took it off road, but i did ride it around nelson a few times which is close.

First gen here.  Rocking with 38k on the clock. Full suspension and brakes done. I love it. Its fast, Comfortable, smooth, and excellent two up. My second gear did go out as BAD said, but mind you my bike was primarily a track bike before I retired it to tour mode. The previous owner rode her hard. It had 26k on the clock when 2nd gear went. I found an ebay engine with 7900 miles on it, tossed it in and I've put another 12k on the bike since then. From what I read the 2001-2002s had the issue. They had 3 dogs where as the 2003+ has 5 dogs. The part number from 2001-2002 for the gears are superseded with the 2003+ part numbers. Now this is all just stuff I have read. Never verified with a yamaha dealer. 

My bike also has an ivans jet kit, and has been dyno tuned. Its the smoothest fueling I've ridden to date. Some people will argue that but its just my opinion. I like this bike, although I do have it for sale at the moment. I'm totally sucked into the SV650's.  

But I love this bike. It can go from this-

5FDE0BC1-1207-44F0-8B6D-3FAF1FAC1759_zps

to this...

632E0DCB-BE8D-4794-B0C4-744749AD5A33-115

and then you can ride 500 miles back to the twisties in total comfort. If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up 

Fz1 is definitely a great bike. I like the looks of the gen 2 more...Gen 1 looks like a water cooled bandit....not that there's anything wrong with bandits. You can probably get a good amount of hidden. Power out of the carbed ones with jets, filters and pipes. I'd love to have one in the stables one day.

I'm totally sucked into the SV650's.  

You should ride a Gladius (SFV650) then.  As awesome as the SV650 motor is, the version on the Gladius is even better.  I sold mine last year...suspension was done, exhaust, and more aggressive handlebars.  It was an absolute blast in the twisties.