unOFFICIAL OR SoreButtapalooza to Mt. Rushmore.

Tonik

Date is officially June 12th, most peeps are doing the 5 day trip. Thursday through Monday.

Official countdown clock:  http://tinyurl.com/kyd4dpx

Five day trip:

Thursday departure, apx. 1043 miles to Chamberlain, SD.            15.5 hours plus stops.                 http://goo.gl/maps/zdvmD

Friday, Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills, Devils Tower,

Deadwood, Sturgis                                                             486   8.5 hours                           http://goo.gl/maps/lu0FI

Saturday Sturgis, Custer Park, Wind Cave,

Hot springs Bad Lands, Murdo, SD                                  345 mi, 8 hours                          http://goo.gl/maps/8pYWZ

Sunday Murdo, SD to South Bend Indiana.                                      872 mi, 12 hours 38 mins           http://goo.gl/maps/250bm

Monday South Bend to Cleveland.                                                   253 mi, 3 hours 44 mins             http://goo.gl/maps/n4C5H

Hotel Info:

Thurs. June 12:    Quality Inn 100 Highway 16, Oacoma, SD, US        http://tinyurl.com/ofrdans

Friday June 13     SUPER 8 STURGIS 2600 Whitewood Service Rd., I-90 Exit 30, Sturgis, SD 57785 US  http://tinyurl.com/n89koox
Sat.  June 14        SUPER 8 MURDO 604 E 5th, 1-90 Exit 192, Murdo, SD 57559-0220 US     http://tinyurl.com/nu9wkdd
Sun. June 15       Still pondering where to stop.  I would like to get past Chicago to avoid Monday morning rush. Might just wing it and grab something as we go along.

MAKE SURE THE RIGHT DATES ARE SELECTED AND THE RIGHT HOTEL. THE LINKS ARE GOOFY. STURGIS MICHIGAN MAY COME UP FOR EXAMPLE.

We will meet at the Service Plaza on the Ohio turnpike just west of I 77 at mile marker 170.1  Be there, gassed up and ready to roll at 4:30 AM. We will pick up Earache at the Petro Truckstop at exit 357 on I 69. That is one exit north of the Indiana turnpike and just a few hundred feet east of I 69 on N. Baker Rd. Our Cleveland group should arrive there at 7:30 AM.

Outbound we take the southern route to avoid Thursday morning Chicago traffic.   Homeward we take the northern route for Kringles at Mars Castle near Kenosha Wi

Rules of engagement (subject to updating after group input)

1)  Break downs. We are f'ing bikers riding together. If someone's stuff breaks we will stay there until that rider dismisses us...and really means it.

a) You are expected to have a road worthy bike and the financial ability to get yourself out of trouble. If that means renting a U-Haul and buying wood for a ramp then so be it.

We will let you ride bitch to the U-Haul store and help you build a ramp of course. Hint: Trip Interruption insurance is like 15 bucks a year.

2)   We will speed, sometimes a little (Illinois) and sometimes more, but not insane.  Expect 7-10 over most of the time. I need to do more research on the limits and cops west of Illinois.

3)   Gas stops will be 100 to 125 but will be very quick with an extended lunch stop.

4)   There will be no drama between riders, or I will leave you on the side of the freeway. I have done that, but only once. I don't do drama. I will do things that will annoy you, you will do            things that annoy me. Tough, get over it.

5)   Be on time each day at the start. That will annoy me and I won't get over it.

Going for sure on a 5 day trip:  HeavyDuty, Me, Connie14Al Z. Heimer +1PhilD'oh!, 2talltim

Mrs. Tonik approved so non-Cleveland peeps can bunk at our house on Wednesday night if they wanted to leave Thursday with the main group. 

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1

Not sure if I'd be game or not, but why not take the few mile detour through the bad lands on the way out or back

Outstanding suggestion, tyvm.  Saturday route above modified for a quick tour of the badlands. They are like right there beside 90.

I'm officially interested. Later in June is better for me, as Isaac will be in NH for summer vacation. Are you gunning for an IBA win? I've already done mine, so I'd be willing to assist others if they're interested in making an attempt. Count on the first day taking close to 20 hours to complete. If folks aren't mentally/physically prepared, then the 2nd day could prove a tad difficult. Fatigue and sleep deprivation is not something you want on a 350 mile back road ride in unfamiliar territory. Not trying to be a buzz kill, but I remember how exhausted I was after my ride. I guess if folks are really wrecked, they can just chill in Rapid City for a couple days until others get back?

Poll fixed, the last date was supposed to be the end of June 26-30.  Yea, day two could be tough on some of us. Lots of bail options...bail right away to Rapid City...or head home...or go to Mt. Rushmore and skip the big circle up to Sturgis. It is important that we all be encourage each other to be careful, think clearly and we  support anyone that needs to bail by modifying the trip. And to speak up if someone doesn't appear to be on top of their game. I made that mistake this fall with my buddy on the dragon. I won't make that mistake again.

There are only two keys to this trip for me.  The 1K the first day and 10 minutes at Mt. Rushmore.  The rest is gravy I can live without.

If you're going to the official area at Rushmore you need more than 10 minutes just to walk up to it. If you want to skip the Tourist shit Id just do Iron Mountain Road and checking out some of the overlooks.

Edited by 2talltim

I'm in. Although I'll just meet up with the group someplace on the road as my starting point is in Indianapolis - roughly 325 miles from the proposed starting point.

My route would be Indy to Davenport and then west to the end point. Might have to add about 100 miles plus / minus to make an even 1000 miles, but that's easily done.

I'm in. Although I'll just meet up with the group someplace on the road as my starting point is in Indianapolis - roughly 325 miles from the proposed starting point.

My route would be Indy to Davenport and then west to the end point. Might have to add about 100 miles plus / minus to make an even 1000 miles, but that's easily done.

If you come up 69 and meet us in Angola you get your 1K.  Be sure to get gas and a time stamped reciept in Indy AND Angola so you show the corners of your trip.

http://goo.gl/maps/fPla8

Edit: Speaking of that, we all need to get gas in Davenport so it doesn't look like we cut the corner in Chicago either.

Edited by Tonik

The only key point to this trip for me is right here....

3vAPg46.png

that is the exact loop i did in July, SD87 or known as the neddles hiway is beautiful but full of slow rolling tourist. Same way with irom mountian road the pigtail bridges are cool. Juat a FYI you will not make any kind of time on this loop but it it beautiful.

Edited by 2talltim

Sounds epic. I'm out in June due to the Wedding and Honeymoon but if it happens to be in May all the planning and BS might drive me to making this since I'm definitely out for the June Gap trip

Sounds epic. I'm out in June due to the Wedding and Honeymoon but if it happens to be in May all the planning and BS might drive me to making this since I'm definitely out for the June Gap trip

Then you should vote for one of the May dates in the poll. Damn kids these days, I swear.

A trip I want to take in the very near future, but will be taking 2 weeks off so I can take my time and REALLY enjoy the scenery and many roads to explore. Y'all have fun, looks like a great Ohioriders bonding experience.

What if we went around Chicago? That stretch just after looks better than the first map, Tonik. Lots of time to decide, but I'm all for maximum fun. Besides, Chicago is nothing compare to Gary, Indiana. Lyns was caught in a drive by shooting at a gas station a few years back, in Gary. Maybe we'll get lucky and see some gang related mayhem, too. :)

I am totally in favor of avoiding Chicago, and yea Gary is a nightmare.  I have us staying on 80 to avoid most of it and time our gas right so we don't have to stop in Gary/Chicago. There is a turnpike plaza right where 80 and 94 intersect where I planned to gas up and lock up the guns

The other option I see on the map would be to swing south around Valparaiso then across 30 back to 80 over by Joliet. Not back roads but a split of limited access 4 lane/highway. Looks to be pretty open and not congested.   The link below changes the first day from 1,063 mi, 15 hours 25 mins to  1,070 mi, 16 hours 2 mins. So an extra 30 minutes for a change of pace and no Chicago/Gary might be worth it.

http://goo.gl/maps/njrTT

I am open to anyone playing with google maps and coming up with ideas. And I will keep pondering it.

I am totally in favor of avoiding Chicago, and yea Gary is a nightmare.  I have us staying on 80 to avoid most of it and time our gas right so we don't have to stop in Gary/Chicago. There is a turnpike plaza right where 80 and 94 intersect where I planned to gas up and lock up the guns

The other option I see on the map would be to swing south around Valparaiso then across 30 back to 80 over by Joliet. Not back roads but a split of limited access 4 lane/highway. Looks to be pretty open and not congested.   The link below changes the first day from 1,063 mi, 15 hours 25 mins to  1,070 mi, 16 hours 2 mins. So an extra 30 minutes for a change of pace and no Chicago/Gary might be worth it.

30 is congested as shit, passes every shopping center and chain restaurant known to man until you get west of I-57. Joliet sucks to drive though as well.

The Tri_State (294) isn't that bad at all, especially if you have a toll reader (I-Pass, etc), then there will be no stopping at all on the weekends and outside of rush hours. Can't say now what construction will be like on the Tri State next summer, but if they have lane restrictions, it's best to stay off of it completely.

The turnpike plaza you refer to is the Lincoln Oasis, just across the Illinois / Indiana line , immediately after the 94 turn off.

There generally isn't much west bound traffic at all on I-80 west of the Tri State - mostly just trucks. And nothing but cornfields west of Joliet.

Edited by Earache