2014 Ninja 1000

dustinsn3485

Compare the VFR12 to bikes like the N1K or FZ1 or even a Triumph Sprint ST?  Does it do anything better for the extra money?

Honda makes excellent motors.  I'm sure the 1200 v4 is no exception, but is that enough to make up for 600lbs and mid level suspension?  Apparently not, considering the terrible sales.

Honda tried to kill 2 birds with 1 bike... it didn't work

Old XX guys wanted an updated blackbird, something to compete with the busa and zx14

Old VFR guys wanted an updated  viffer v4.

It seems that they kinda hit the sweet spot of the worst of both worlds. Still a pretty good bike, just not the best at anything it tries to do.

I like Honda.  I own one.  But they have a history of making some wonderfully engineered bikes that no on wants.  I guess when you're that big you can afford to take some chances. 

1513_01.jpg

I really liked the rune, if they weren't so pricey, and I had need/extra cash for a cruiser it would be the one I'd grab.

I wish they would have produced the vfr1200t. Check out this variation that was considered:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/newsandupdates/motorcycle_news/122_1009_2011_honda_vfr1200t/

Sorry about the link (or lack of). That is a bike that would be nice to test ride.

I compared the FJR, VFR, ST1300, and C14. The VFR 1200 didn't hold a candle to the comfort of the other bikes. If they would have produced that touring version, that would have been a different story.

• 5 months later...

The "wish it had" comments for the 2014 Ninja 1000 seem to be...

Center stand

ambient temperature gauge

Gear position indicator

Headed hand grips

Cruise control

Self-cancelling turn signals

No "Ninja" badging (insurance purposes and mature rider's preference)

...and the less mentioned ones are...

hide those god-awful looking cat converters

Heated seat

bring back a classy, non-candy color

Lower priced panniers ($1269.75)

Shaft drive

7th gear overdrive

No DOT reflectors on the bags

1000cc Triple

I only sort of agree...I've got a 2011.. there's 3 that are on the list, I prefer no center stand, I do wish there was a gear position indicator, and the ninja thing is really the big one. Though insurance isn't too bad. I've managed to get mine down to about $550 a year with full coverage.pygusane.jpg

Sent while riding

Edited by dustinsn3485

I'm usually all about function over form, but that does look pretty ridiculous. 

I'm sure it's awesome, and I would be jealous if we were both on a 1000 mile ride, but I would look cooler on an EX250, and we all know that's really what riding is about ;-)

Edited by redkow97

yea....no matter how functional, anything short of an iron butt ride, i couldnt deal with that thing....to each their own though, im sure its probably pretty awesome to ride with

A civic would be more comfortable too... 

There are just certain inconveniences I think are acceptable and expected when riding.  A little wind is definitely one of them.

• Upvote 1

I'm in the process of finding a windscreen for the Multistrada that doesn't buffet my brain into oblivion at speed. Each attempt has gotten taller and, insanely enough, worse. So, I'm trying a very low screen with a adjustable deflector. My hope is to keep the air at chest level and leave my head above any turbulent air coming off the front end.

I'm at my wits end with it, really. It's the only thing about my bike that I don't like. The buffeting is bad enough that I can barely see anything at speeds

above 80mph.

thats the thing about my multi i hated.  i could not find a screen that worked.  good luck in your search.

I'm in the process of finding a windscreen for the Multistrada that doesn't buffet my brain into oblivion at speed. Each attempt has gotten taller and, insanely enough, worse. So, I'm trying a very low screen with a adjustable deflector. My hope is to keep the air at chest level and leave my head above any turbulent air coming off the front end.

I'm at my wits end with it, really. It's the only thing about my bike that I don't like. The buffeting is bad enough that I can barely see anything at speeds above 80mph.

You can get a VStream that is taller that will get the air over your head, but it will still come in around the sides near the bottom. That is running up your chest and going in under your helmet causing the buffeting. Classic helmet buffeting case, the way it always is.  There's a guy on a ducati.ms that sells custom made side "shields" that seem to solve the problem. You need to get that low side air stopped. Put your arm across your chest and I bet it stops...move your arm down and forward following the air source. Bet that is where it is at.

Fuck am I smart.

And are you sure that is the only thing you don't like about your bike? What about the back brakes?

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1

Not sure. Can't remember. I'm on vacation next week. I'm sure I can find time to ride that beautiful, ugly bitch.

Make some wings out of cardboard, duct tape the hell out of them to the sides of your windshield, especially the bottom of it.

Like this:

http://mts1200.info/mts12_faq/multistrada_1200_wings.htm

Edited by Tonik

I don't have a 1200. I have the 1100. 4-valve Ducatis are for posers and yuppies. ;)

I'm not sure if they are available for a multi but Madstat adjustable windscreen mount helps a lot with my Vstorm. Lots of Vstorm riders will use them with larger screens though I still run stock. During hot weather I run it low and titled back to minimize the air disturbance. When it's cooler I put it up and forward to provide the best wind protection.

Craig

phat fingered from my phone